Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All- Have just received my new Bolt. I live in Western Colorado and a drive to Denver is about 238 miles, and over 3 mountain passes. I was nervous on the ride over but took the plunge- Here is the data.

Two adults, two dogs, one 15 month old and some luggage- loaded up, total about 520 pounds of animal and luggage matter.

From West to east, stopped in Frisco for 6.77kWh of added range, but didn't end up needing it! Drove over McClure Pass, Vail Pass and Eisenhower, and ended up with a total of 313 miles of range on this day after pulling off the extra kWh's in Frisco.

Return From Denver to Western slope, we didn't stop for any additional kWh, and had only 22 miles at the end. Same passes to go over, and Regen did a great job.
Specifically, started south Denver with 373 miles on the display
At 6th Ave and i70, display showed 249
At Eisenhower tunnel, display at 124- whoa, depletion
At bottom of Eisenhower in Silverthorne 140
At base of Vail Pass at Copper- 123
At top of Vail pass - 106
In Vail 127
In Carbondale 77 (60 miles to Paonia on road sign)
Top of McClure Pass 26
Bottom of McClure and near Paonia and Solar Energy International Charge station- 22

The efficiency heading East is higher and there is usually a bit of a tail wind too. But the regen bars on the energy display are more prevalent too. I always believed that this car would pull it off!

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I can see you hyper-milling in the mountain pass if there are any downward slopes, but wow that's a large drop in the Eisenhower tunnel. Assume it's an uphill tunnel.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Now that's a pretty intense trip that you made there but I'm glad for the sake of data you did! Sounds like it was a blast too. It's really interesting to see how much the regen was giving you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I live up in Steamboat Springs and the trek to Denver was probably the one thing that has us most concerned about purchasing a Bolt. It so happened that the only place for us to get one was in Denver, so the maiden voyage was a bit worrisome.

Holy cow is this car awesome! Especially, when going over those mountain passes. Did you have huge perma grin going uphill? The car just goes and goes and goes.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
The Bolt loves hills, going up or going down. It can handle anything with complete aplomb.
I love using the cruise control in the Bolt, so I don't have to pay attention to my speed. The wife's four cylinder automatic was awful in the hills around here. An automatic doesn't anticipate hills, so it was constantly in the wrong gear, and by the time it would shift, the terrain would have changed, making the cruise control useless..

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
An automatic doesn't anticipate hills, so it was constantly in the wrong gear, and by the time it would shift, the terrain would have changed, making the cruise control useless..
There's a long, steep hill in North Vancouver that leads to the Upper Levels highway, and it always vexes my van. It will gradually slow down until the automatic kicks into a lower gear, then it will speed back up to the cruise control setting and upshift again, whereupon it will gradually slow down again. I've learned to shift into a lower gear ahead of time to avoid that.

But the Bolt doesn't care, it just glides up that hill like nothing. And glides right back down too, without having to shift into a lower gear to keep the speed under control.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi All- Have just received my new Bolt. I live in Western Colorado and a drive to Denver is about 238 miles, and over 3 mountain passes. I was nervous on the ride over but took the plunge- Here is the data.

Two adults, two dogs, one 15 month old and some luggage- loaded up, total about 520 pounds of animal and luggage matter.

From West to east, stopped in Frisco for 6.77kWh of added range, but didn't end up needing it! Drove over McClure Pass, Vail Pass and Eisenhower, and ended up with a total of 313 miles of range on this day after pulling off the extra kWh's in Frisco.

Return From Denver to Western slope, we didn't stop for any additional kWh, and had only 22 miles at the end. Same passes to go over, and Regen did a great job.
Specifically, started south Denver with 373 miles on the display
At 6th Ave and i70, display showed 249
At Eisenhower tunnel, display at 124- whoa, depletion
At bottom of Eisenhower in Silverthorne 140
At base of Vail Pass at Copper- 123
At top of Vail pass - 106
In Vail 127
In Carbondale 77 (60 miles to Paonia on road sign)
Top of McClure Pass 26
Bottom of McClure and near Paonia and Solar Energy International Charge station- 22

The efficiency heading East is higher and there is usually a bit of a tail wind too. But the regen bars on the energy display are more prevalent too. I always believed that this car would pull it off!

Cheers!
Hello, have you tried this drive during cold weather? If so, how did it work out?

Thank you,

Jesse

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello, have you tried this drive during cold weather? If so, how did it work out?
I just got my Bolt this past Friday and did a trip almost identical to WestColo's; Denver up to the Western Slope. The trip was at night with climate settings at 72F. This was a straight shot without any stops and she made it with 22 miles to spare on the Guess-O-Meter. The regenerative breaking on those downhills is a huge plus. The total distance travelled was 171 miles. I don't have the actual kwh usage, but the fact that you can make that trip on a single charge in cold weather is pretty awesome.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I live in Silverthorne. Bot mine at Emich in Denver and of course that first ride home was stressful with all the climb. Then we did a test drive to Denver and back for dinner and it used less than half the tank for the return trip (121 miles). One more round-trip to Denver with 168 miles (about 13000 feet for the round trip) and there was 100 "miles" left in the tank. These trips were in December/January on nice days. As others in this hilly state have said, it has far exceeded expectations.

It is said that to a wolverine the world is flat. They go uphill at speed as if the terrain is flat. So I call our Bolt the "Wolverine".

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
It is said that to a wolverine the world is flat. They go uphill at speed as if the terrain is flat. So I call our Bolt the "Wolverine".
I love it! It's one of the things that's really impressed my about the Bolt - it just cruises right on up hills as if they're not even there. When you're on cruise control there's no extra noise, no slowing down, no indication at all except for the power meter. It's an amazing driving experience.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Ya know, to the ignorant (myself included) the wolverine looked pretty darn tame and adorable in stills (even with teeth bared). Like racoons. It's only when you see a wolverine in action do you get taken aback. Same goes for the honey badger.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I continue to wonder how great the influence of good weather will be. I hardly ever use any climate control. Under 1% so far. In 2300 miles driven almost entirely up here (9500 feet Colorado) I averaged exactly 4.0 mi/kwh (so maybe that is 4.04 discounting 1% climate control). Today, a nice day (meaning 60 degs), we went down to Denver and back. 130 miles. Average was 4.33. So either it was

A. the warm weather
B. the benefit of the giant downhill from here to there (maybe 11000 ft downhill on I-70) which gets us about 65 miles using 8 kwh.

I am not really sure...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’m going to be driving our 2020 Bolt from Arvada to Ridgway next week. Thinking of taking Mclure pass as well. Planning on QC in Carbondale. Any advice on this, my first EV road trip would be great!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just returned home from Ridgway. 4.6kW/mile, 292 miles, 62.8kWh used. Recharged in Eagle at Charge Point 50kW. Gained 90 miles range over 36 minutes for only $2.34! This as it turned out was good for everyones' mental health and 100 miles are on the GOM as the car sits now in the garage. The driving range is great!. My brothers house is 2300' higher than ours and yes the efficiency on the trip west was lower, like 4.1mi/kWh. Overall, the trip requires >14k feet of elevation gain. It seems that regen is the key to mountain road trip magic.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts