Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a Black Bolt LT here in North Carolina yesterday. DC Fast charging, comfort and convenience and driver confidence packages, plus all weather mats and the false cargo floor. $35,500 out the door. I live in Harrisburg which is north east of Charlotte in a nearby county. Think Lowes Motor Speedway. Anyway, had to drive to Raleigh to get it and boy was it a nail biter. Sir Walter Chevrolet DOES NOT take deposits to hold a car. So I drive 2 hours and when i get 15min away the sales person calls me and tells me that both of the black Bolts i was interested in were being sold. So, in the span of two hours they sold....nuts, but the deal fell through on one of them and with me just 5 mins down the road get a call saying he (sales guy) is holding the keys for the one i want. Nerve wracking to say the least.

So, i complete the purchase and as i ma signing the final documents the car was taken to be washed and charged. When the second snafu happens. The salesman isn't familiar with the Bolt at all so he had it on their DC fast charger and instead of stopping the charge via the car or charger unit he just unplugs it!!!. Throws a bunch of codes and won't charge and has to be brought into the service bay to have the codes cleared. Stressful purchase to say the least.

I let it DC fast charge until about 80-83% and take off on my 150 mile drive back home. I drove it mostly like i would in my just traded 2011 Fusion but kept the speed around 70 and made it home with 50 miles left or range. Definitely impressed, it handled it like a champ and i never had any "range anxiety".

The seat is a problem though but i knew that going in. The backrest doesn't bother me but the narrow seat, my left thigh is laying in a way that the left edge of the seat runs right down the middle of the back of my thigh. Going to try the foam fix in that popular video posted here on the forum.

Now just need to get at 240v NEMA 14-50 outlet put in the garage and figure out which EVSE to get.

·
Registered
914 Posts
welcome to the club! what an adventure to buy your Bolt thanks for sharing it, I hope that you enjoy driving your Bolt as much as we enjoy ours....

·
Registered
334 Posts
The salesman isn't familiar with the Bolt at all so he had it on their DC fast charger and instead of stopping the charge via the car or charger unit he just unplugs it!!!. Throws a bunch of codes and won't charge and has to be brought into the service bay to have the codes cleared.
Wow. I thought the DCFC would refuse to unlock if it is still charging. Maybe some chargers don't engage that properly?

·
Registered
979 Posts
Now just need to get at 240v NEMA 14-50 outlet put in the garage and figure out which EVSE to get.

Congrats ! :)

I'd do that in reverse - - pick the EVSE (assume you want a plugged one) and then follow instructions that come with the EVSE in order to install the proper 240v plug outlet. Some EVSE's take a 6-50* plug, others (most) take a 14-50. In either case, put in 4 wire cable as if it were going to be a 14-50.
* - I put in a Chargepoint which takes a 6-50.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Wow. I thought the DCFC would refuse to unlock if it is still charging. Maybe some chargers don't engage that properly?
If zhuneycott used a station like the following:

https://www.boschevsolutions.com/charging-stations/power-dc-plus-25kw?sku=EL-52240

which is common at Chevy dealerships certified for Bolt sales, then it does respect the locking mechanism on the J1772 receptacle on the Bolt. I have seen this lock swing down ontop of the J1772 plug's latch lever and tried to push down on the latch lever to stop the DCFC session but it didn't budge. Had to stop from within the car on the Infotainment screen before the latch would release (you can hear it from inside the Bolt) and I could unlatch the J1772 plug from my Bolt.

I'm guessing the DCFC locking mechanism is faulty and doesn't provide feedback to the Bolt that it's not perfectly latched. This would explain why DCFC started but the sales person was able to interrupt the DCFC session, triggering codes all over the place.

This is probably why the DCFC lcoking mechanism exists: the DCFC process is not error tolerant and must make sure conditions are perfect before started the charging session.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I have no idea how he could have pulled the charger out of a locked port. The lock works just fine for me and my so far 2 DC fast charges.

I figured i would go with a NEMA 14-50 because (correct me if i'm wrong) it seems to the more common. Plus I definitely want one that is portable just in case.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I figured i would go with a NEMA 14-50 because (correct me if i'm wrong) it seems to the more common. Plus I definitely want one that is portable just in case.
The NEMA 14-50 (RV plug) enables both a 120V and a 240V circuit simultaneously. It IS the more common EVSE plug. It is large. Any plugged EVSE is portable if light enough and easily removed from a (the) bracket. Both the bracket and the receptacle are fastened securely to a stud. If sharing a stud, the outlet is nearly always below. Most electric codes want a garage outlet 48” above the floor, which puts the EVSE up fairly high. Using adjacent studs is often convenient and the plug cord is always 16” long. The NEMA 6-50 plug is smaller and allows outlet placement BEHIND the EVSE. My Siemens VersiCharge has the 6-50 plug and I love it. It is quite portable. I simply made a 6-50 (outlet) to 14-50 (plug) adapter extension cord opening up all RV parks and KOA Campgrounds for rural travel where no commercial Level 2 EVSE exist.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts