Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering trading my high mileage, out of warranty Model S in for a slightly used Bolt so I can pass it down to the wife in a few years when the next gen stuff comes...

Was wondering what the common issues and main design compromises are.

For example, Model S has not just failing touch screens, door handles as most common, but also charge ports, AC problems, wind noise, etc... Getting more granular, your at the mercy of Tesla and their software/service centers so DIY is painful.

Would be nice to find something that we can just put electricity and go, without having to think about the car.

I find all the gizmos to be problematic and stressful at times and really crave for old school luxury. Such a thing does not exist for EVs yet as the Model S is built like a tin can from the future.

With all this being said, it's hard to ignore Hyundai's killer warranty and reputation for boring quality cars. But I hate crossovers and how they drive. So I'm hoping the Bolt is an electricity and go car for 100k+ miles. I don't have time for door handles or window regulators, or for scheduling service appointments. My Leaf was solid aside from the terrible degredation...

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
I don't have time for door handles or window regulators, or for scheduling service appointments.
Welcome to the forum. I've only heard of one door handle and one squeaky window.
Infotainment system sometimes needs to be rebooted.
Some have the suspension make noises. I had my rear axle replaced under warranty because of this. But this issue is really just a nuisance. Turn up the radio and it goes away.
People have a love hate relationship with android auto and carplay. Sometimes due to a bad USB cable or incompatible phone.
Apps are not as polished as one would hope.
Car can really be trouble free for most.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Bolt is a fine budget-oriented car. I currently have 15K on my second Bolt and have no complaints. Had another 15K on the previous one without any issues. No luxury here though :)

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Was wondering what the common issues and main design compromises are. . So I'm hoping the Bolt is an electricity and go car for 100k+ miles.
The biggest problem is the max 55 kW DC charging rate. I can fairly easily go 400 miles in two legs, but that 90-100 minutes charging time in the center of the trip is a drag. The new Volvo XC40 RECHARGE (coming out 2020 Q4) charges at 150 kW and may be worth the $12.5K more.

·
Registered
223 Posts
So far my Bolt has been just charge and go. The seats need some help on longer trips, and the Bolt is a smaller car (great for the city, acceptable for trips), but I've had no maintenance issues. I don't think you will find old-school luxury with the Bolt. Overall, it has been solid. I do wish it had adaptive cruise control. That won't arrive until the 2021 refresh.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have 80,000 miles between a 2017 and a 2019 and the only issue that I've really had is that I've had to reboot my infotainment center 3 times. The 2019, though, does seem to have a less responsive touch screen and I wish the preconditioning could be controlled like a Tesla (it only defaults to the last setting).

So nothing to be wary of but I think you'll miss some of the luxuries of the Model S - e.g. autopilot, better software/apps, luxury feel/seats, and the supercharger network for trips.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I have over 120,000 miles on mine, and there are no issues other than road damage and about 8-9% battery degradation (though I'm probably harder on my battery than most). I'm on my second set of tires (soon to be third), but I still haven't reached my first required maintenance. I've never had issues with the seats, but for most people who do, a simple cushion or additional padding is all that's really necessary.

If you travel a lot, the charging speed will be slower than your Model S on the Supercharger, but the Bolt EV is significantly more efficient, which goes a long way in offsetting the difference. The biggest issue that Bolt EV owners need to know about is that with heavier cables (like the ones Electrify America uses), you need to lift and support the charging cable while the charger initiates.

·
Registered
390 Posts

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
I"m not sure I've seen a real pattern of failures. There were a few battery failures in the very early 2017 Bolts, but GM seems to have addressed that and replaced the batteries in question. I've see a few complaints about rear axle squeaks, about a ratcheting sound caused by a failing brake assist unit, and I think about some sort of front end suspension issue (can't remember the details), but not in what I think of as large enough numbers to be indicative of a real systemic issue.

The most common complaints seem to revolve around CarPlay or Android Auto integration, and people who think that a reduced range estimate means that they must be having battery problems (which of course it doesn't).

All in all the my own Bolt has met my high expectations of the kind of reliability you should expect from an Electric Vehicle.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'm just finishing up a 3-year 30,000-mile lease on a 2017 and I've had the following issues:
  • Around 2,000 miles, there was an intermittent error when starting the car that would lead to a loss of power steering. Dealer replaced steering column and problem was fixed. This seems to be an uncommon issue.
  • Blind spot warning indicator on driver's side would occasionally give false positives. This was a known issue early on and the fix required the dealer to put extra shielding near the sensor.
  • Infotainment system froze twice and I had to reboot.
These were minor issues for me. All in all, I think this is a wonderfully-built car, especially for a Chevy! Coming from three Chevys and a Buick, I think the Bolt is of exceptional quality for a GM car. I'm guessing that this was probably mandated by GM, as they wanted to make a good first impression for their first "large"-scale BEV and avoid any negative PR like the Leaf battery degradation issue.

I liked it so much that I just purchased a new 2020 yesterday.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I think the Bolt has a similar track record to other cars: a few minor common issues and a handful of more serious problems. Those kinds of things can't be avoided when mass producing cars as it's impossible to produce tens (or hundreds) of thousands of cars without at least a couple that have a major issue at random. My 2019 is now a year old and I honestly wouldn't change anything about it other than wanting a higher res backup camera (which they did in 2020) and a faster charging rate which for my driving habits would almost never be used so... a minor complaint. My Bolt has not been glitchy so if you want a car that just goes, the Bolt might be a good choice. The only glitch I have from time to time is that if I put mine in reverse too soon after starting it up, there is sometimes about an inch black bar or gap on the left side of the backup camera display which kinda squashes/distorts the (now smaller) camera view. If you wait until the infotainment display boots up before putting it in reverse, it never does that though.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Mike

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
158 Posts
I'm just finishing up a 3-year 30,000-mile lease on a 2017 and I've had the following issues:
  • Around 2,000 miles, there was an intermittent error when starting the car that would lead to a loss of power steering. Dealer replaced steering column and problem was fixed. This seems to be an uncommon issue.
  • Blind spot warning indicator on driver's side would occasionally give false positives. This was a known issue early on and the fix required the dealer to put extra shielding near the sensor.
  • Infotainment system froze twice and I had to reboot.
These were minor issues for me. All in all, I think this is a wonderfully-built car, especially for a Chevy! Coming from three Chevys and a Buick, I think the Bolt is of exceptional quality for a GM car. I'm guessing that this was probably mandated by GM, as they wanted to make a good first impression for their first "large"-scale BEV and avoid any negative PR like the Leaf battery degradation issue.

I liked it so much that I just purchased a new 2020 yesterday.
That infotainment issue seems recurring as mine has frozen maybe three times in my eight months of ownership. My question though is why did you decide to get a new Bolt instead of holding on to your 2017 (the one I own) or getting a Tesla or another EV?

·
Registered
601 Posts
My 2018 had a creaking sound coming from the front end during slow acceleration. The dealer replaced the anti-sway bar which was rubbing against the under carriage which was a known issue on a few cars. The bar was redesigned to eliminate the rubbing and I no longer have the creaking sound. Other than that, no issues.

·
Registered
213 Posts
No serious issues here either, as long as people keep the cabin air filter changed :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL::p - But seriously folks, minor crap, aside from the air conditioner compressor motor which died within a month of me buying the car, but it was a very early 2017, and that was obviously under warranty. 46,000 miles and about 3% battery degradation thus far. I don't usually charge beyond 89%, and use level 2 almost exclusively. Infotainment needs to get rebooted a few times a year, which entails holding down the home and power button for a few seconds, which you can do while you're driving, and it's usually a squirrely phone that gets its panties up in a bunch anyways.

Over-all, the most reliable, no-nonsense vehicle I've ever owned, which was the entire point of buying it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have had a 2012 VOLT, a 2017 VOLT and now have a 2020 BOLT. The only issues I had with the Volts were that both had to have the 12 Volt
battery replaced. Both under warranty,.Most of the driving on my Volts was using only electric. The 2012 used 6 gallons of gasoline over 17,000 miles.
I generally hypermile so get pretty good range. I purchased my Bolt in Phoenix and drove it home to Vegas.The only money I have spent on my
EVs ( Driving electric for about a dozen years. Cars, Bicycles, Scooters, and Motorcycles. ) has been for things that I wanted to do to it, and tipping
the guy when he rotated the tires.
Almost 5 thousand miles on it with no problems. As pointed out, if used for highway travel, DCFC will probably add time to your trip. Definitely take
longer than your Tesla. If used around town, Level II at home will give you pretty much a full charge overnight. Level I at home will take care of MOST
people's needs overnight. Having addressed the DCFC, A friend has an Audi E-Tron. 50% larger battery, 3 times faster charger. I plugged in HIS
E-Tron and MY Bolt on ABetterRoutePlanner for a trip from His home in Washington State and My home in Vegas. MY Bolt would have cost about
a THIRD of what it would have cost on his E-Tron and the trip showed as being a half hour SHORTER on my BOLT.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks! I wanted a cayenne orange metallic premier with the dark gray interior. Was ready to do a factory order, but they found one almost 200 miles away. Pictures will be coming soon.
I am looking for that same color as well but it's very hard to find here in SoCal. Where did u get yours?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Not sure if you are looking for new or used. I just did a quick search for Orange ( Cayenne not showing ) on Autotrader within 500 miles of Vegas, which SHOULD
cover most of Southern California and it showed 17 offers. If you find one that you feel might be too far for you, let me know, I will be happy to pick it up and drive
it to you. ;)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts