Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

Registered
Welcome to the forum. I've only heard of one door handle and one squeaky window.
Edit looks like the handle actually did not work right but the plastic "triangle" falling off is actually part of the design and You just need to make sure it's pushed back on as I mentioned below;
I will actually take an issue about the door handle "falling off", the triangle piece is meant to come off as a feature- to hide a key hole in case the electronics in the keyfob fail on You. You can then use the hidden key in the keyfob to get into the car.

Registered
Not sure if you are looking for new or used. I just did a quick search for Orange ( Cayenne not showing ) on Autotrader within 500 miles of Vegas, which SHOULD
cover most of Southern California and it showed 17 offers. If you find one that you feel might be too far for you, let me know, I will be happy to pick it up and drive
it to you. ;)
I am looking for new car. And thanks for the offer 馃檪.
I just saw one dealer here in SoCal few minutes ago, they have a Cayenne orange in transit.

Registered
I do like the 2020 colors Orange and Blue! Seriously the only colors they are missing are a good yellow, "bowling green metallic" , and light blue metallic.

Registered
That infotainment issue seems recurring as mine has frozen maybe three times in my eight months of ownership. My question though is why did you decide to get a new Bolt instead of holding on to your 2017 (the one I own) or getting a Tesla or another EV?
My 2017 was a lease (3 year, 30,000 mile). The residual was around $26k, and since GM was giving $8,500 and NJ will write me a check for $5,000 for buying a BEV with 200+ miles range, I could get a brand new, fully-loaded 2020 premier for only $4,000 more than if I chose to buy my 2017.

Really the only other EVs I considered were Teslas, but I decided that I won't get a Tesla for a few personal reasons. I'll go into it if you really want to know, but these are my own personal feelings that I wouldn't expect to project onto anyone else.

In the end I went for the Bolt because I love it's size, form factor, performance, range, dependability, and value. It was an easy decision.

Registered
I have a 2019 with a little over 18k miles. I had a problem with the entertainment system locking up a few times. Took a video to show dealer. Dealer called GM and requested they reflash the entertainment system. No problems since. Only maintenance has been rotating the tires. Some day I will need to add windshield washer fluid and change the cabin filter. The only real maintenance schedule I noticed is to change the brake fluid at 5 years to eliminate moisture build up. We just plug in and drive. :)

Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
My 2017 was a lease (3 year, 30,000 mile). The residual was around $26k, and since GM was giving $8,500 and NJ will write me a check for $5,000 for buying a BEV with 200+ miles range, I could get a brand new, fully-loaded 2020 premier for only $4,000 more than if I chose to buy my 2017.

Really the only other EVs I considered were Teslas, but I decided that I won't get a Tesla for a few personal reasons. I'll go into it if you really want to know, but these are my own personal feelings that I wouldn't expect to project onto anyone else.

In the end I went for the Bolt because I love it's size, form factor, performance, range, dependability, and value. It was an easy decision.
Nice, thanks for the details. I plan on holding on to mine for a bit than I might upgrade but have been wondering If there鈥檚 any benefit other than an extra 21 miles of range and a better backup camera to justify the cost. When you鈥檙e coming off of a lease, it makes sense. Not sure it does in my case, but I appreciate your response!

Registered
Nice, thanks for the details. I plan on holding on to mine for a bit than I might upgrade but have been wondering If there鈥檚 any benefit other than an extra 21 miles of range and a better backup camera to justify the cost. When you鈥檙e coming off of a lease, it makes sense. Not sure it does in my case, but I appreciate your response!
I also wondered about the 21 extra miles of range and whether or not that was worth it. It wasn't apparent to me how this (and perhaps the gradual instead of stepped DCFC taper curve) has an effect on travel time for road trips.

I used A Better Routeplanner to calculate a trip from my house to my parents' house, a 407 mile trip from NJ to OH.
  • 2017 Bolt: 8h 30 m total (6:37 driving & 1:53 charging)
  • 2020 Bolt: 8h total (6:37 driving & 1:23 charging)
It wasn't apparent to me that the 2020 could save me a full half hour on my trip!

Registered
We went through a similar exercise with our local dealers and the OTD was $12,000 and our low miles 2017. We couldn't find $12K of extra value in the 2020.

jack vines

Registered
I also wondered about the 21 extra miles of range and whether or not that was worth it. It wasn't apparent to me how this (and perhaps the gradual instead of stepped DCFC taper curve) has an effect on travel time for road trips.

I used A Better Routeplanner to calculate a trip from my house to my parents' house, a 407 mile trip from NJ to OH.
  • 2017 Bolt: 8h 30 m total (6:37 driving & 1:53 charging)
  • 2020 Bolt: 8h total (6:37 driving & 1:23 charging)
It wasn't apparent to me that the 2020 could save me a full half hour on my trip!
Part of the problem is ABRP is extremely far off with the 2017-2019 Bolt EV trip profiles. A 407-mile trip shouldn't require 1 hour 53 minutes of charging time in the 2017 Bolt EV unless you only have access to 100 A chargers. Even then, it's conservative.

That being said, the 2020 Bolt EV should still be able to save a significant amount of time. The taper on the charging curve is more forgiving than the hard step down in the 2017 to 2019, and if you charge past 65% battery in order to reduce the number of stops, the time savings can start to add up.

Registered
The biggest problem is the max 55 kW DC charging rate. I can fairly easily go 400 miles in two legs, but that 90-100 minutes charging time in the center of the trip is a drag. The new Volvo XC40 RECHARGE (coming out 2020 Q4) charges at 150 kW and may be worth the $12.5K more.
Just get it to 80% and go to the next one. If you wait for full, you'll be there for like 2 hours. I started going to 80% and adding extra stops and winds up being much faster.

Registered
I think the Bolt has a similar track record to other cars: a few minor common issues and a handful of more serious problems. Those kinds of things can't be avoided when mass producing cars as it's impossible to produce tens (or hundreds) of thousands of cars without at least a couple that have a major issue at random. My 2019 is now a year old and I honestly wouldn't change anything about it other than wanting a higher res backup camera (which they did in 2020) and a faster charging rate which for my driving habits would almost never be used so... a minor complaint. My Bolt has not been glitchy so if you want a car that just goes, the Bolt might be a good choice. The only glitch I have from time to time is that if I put mine in reverse too soon after starting it up, there is sometimes about an inch black bar or gap on the left side of the backup camera display which kinda squashes/distorts the (now smaller) camera view. If you wait until the infotainment display boots up before putting it in reverse, it never does that though.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Mike
I'd like to get another one, lower it 2 or so inches, strip everything out making it as light as possible other than the radio add 2 Racing seats, roll bar and get some good sticky tires, shocks and springs tuned to the changes and take it to Summit Point on track day. Oh yeah and get someone at GM to turn off the speed limiter. I think this could be a hoot. I used to race enduro go-karts and motor cycles. We're not talking about 24 hours at LeMans. Yeah that's what I would do.

But I'm not in the $$ like I used to be so I'll drive my 2019 as it is. I love it. I added some back support for my bad back and can drive all day. It is ugly.

Registered
Aww, c'mon, it may be generic looking, but it's not Ugly. Really? 馃槒
The Bolt and the Honda Fit have the same mail carrier. Generic would be VW pocket rocket style. No this is U-G-L-Y. But when I get into it I don't see it from out side. The interior is Cheap. My wife says it reminds her of old Holiday Inn decor. I was never thinking of the decor back then. Then again I'm watching the road, so...I still like it. I believe it could be road raced in some E Class with some help from GM. It could be a hoot too.

Registered
Just get it to 80% and go to the next one. If you wait for full, you'll be there for like 2 hours. I started going to 80% and adding extra stops and winds up being much faster.
There IS no "next one" for over 200 miles, so 80% (192 miles) does not allow one the luxury of avoiding that slow charging rate from 80-100% SoC!

Registered
I'd like to get another one, lower it 2 or so inches, strip everything out making it as light as possible other than the radio add 2 Racing seats, roll bar and get some good sticky tires, shocks and springs tuned to the changes and take it to Summit Point on track day. Oh yeah and get someone at GM to turn off the speed limiter. I think this could be a hoot. I used to race enduro go-karts and motor cycles. We're not talking about 24 hours at LeMans. Yeah that's what I would do.

But I'm not in the $$ like I used to be so I'll drive my 2019 as it is. I love it. I added some back support for my bad back and can drive all day. It is ugly.
The looks grow on you. Believe me, I've owned 3. The car is so functional, it is hard to think of driving something else.

Registered
The Bolt and the Honda Fit have the same mail carrier. Generic would be VW pocket rocket style. No this is U-G-L-Y. But when I get into it I don't see it from out side. The interior is Cheap. My wife says it reminds her of old Holiday Inn decor. I was never thinking of the decor back then. Then again I'm watching the road, so...I still like it. I believe it could be road raced in some E Class with some help from GM. It could be a hoot too.
You will like the 'cheap' interior when in 10 years, it still looks like new. It is not "luxurious" to be sure - but it will wear well and looks nice.

Registered
I'm considering trading my high mileage, out of warranty Model S in for a slightly used Bolt so I can pass it down to the wife in a few years when the next gen stuff comes...

Was wondering what the common issues and main design compromises are.

For example, Model S has not just failing touch screens, door handles as most common, but also charge ports, AC problems, wind noise, etc... Getting more granular, your at the mercy of Tesla and their software/service centers so DIY is painful.

Would be nice to find something that we can just put electricity and go, without having to think about the car.

I find all the gizmos to be problematic and stressful at times and really crave for old school luxury. Such a thing does not exist for EVs yet as the Model S is built like a tin can from the future.

With all this being said, it's hard to ignore Hyundai's killer warranty and reputation for boring quality cars. But I hate crossovers and how they drive. So I'm hoping the Bolt is an electricity and go car for 100k+ miles. I don't have time for door handles or window regulators, or for scheduling service appointments. My Leaf was solid aside from the terrible degredation...
I WAS going to buy a model 3 but decided to shelf that option when I found the model 3 wouldn鈥檛 have a hatch back AND lacked 360掳 Top-view camera. That camera along with LCD rear view 鈥渕irror鈥 sweetens the deal. I can have super tinted windows, and see behind me no problem. Because the rear view camera is outside. I can have the backseat/trunk LOADED with stuff and still see behind me. I can have the back seat full of tall adults, normally blocking the view behind me, but in my bolt, I can see perfectly. Actually, BETTER than mirror. It gives nearly 180掳 Wide angle view behind.
I can pull predictability pull within an inch of a curb, and not touch it with top-down camera. I can pull within inch of garage door, and not touch it, with front camera. These cameras are only available on higher trim level 鈥減remium鈥. But to me, well worth it. Tesla is so far behind in this area. Evidently Elon hasn鈥檛 driven a car with rear view LCD mirror or 360掳 Top down cameras.
PLUS, you will LOVE the maneuverability of the Bolt. And unlike the BMW i3, it tracks a path in the lane with minimal thought. With BMW, you have to 鈥渃oncentrate鈥 and 鈥渨ork鈥 at keeping it centered in the lane, as it wants to bounce from left to right within the lane. The solid dependability, and minimal battery breakdown over time, makes the bolt a great value. The carpeting just sucks.

Registered
PLUS, you will LOVE the maneuverability of the Bolt.
Agree completely.

And unlike the BMW i3, it tracks a path in the lane with minimal thought. With, you have to 鈥渃oncentrate鈥 and 鈥渨ork鈥 at keeping it centered in the lane, as it wants to bounce from left to right within the lane.
I admit to having driven only one i3, but a lot of high speed western road seat time in that one and I just haven't experienced the sidewind sensitivity or the "bounce" described here. I felt it was a solidly planted little booger that I would love to own.

jack vines

Registered
360掳 Top-view camera. That camera along with LCD rear view 鈥渕irror鈥 sweetens the deal.
Agreed. Now I can't live without it and no other car will be satisfactory without it. People complain about the Bolt not having adaptive cruise control. But I've never owned a vehicle with it. So I don't miss it. Funny how that works. No wonder cars keep getting more expensive with all the feature creep. I mean, how did we ever have cars with manual roll up windows?

Registered
I mean, how did we ever have cars with manual roll up windows?
What's more interesting is that young people who don't even realize that roll up windows existed still recognize the universal hand / arm sign for "roll down your window", and in the same vein, I wonder what they think the "save" icon (floppy disk) represents...

21 - 40 of 43 Posts