Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Be careful buying an older Model S. There's a 280+ page thread about how some have been capped by software and have reduced range and charging speed. Some of the affected cars charge slower than the Bolt and/or have lost 30+ miles of range. Not all older Model S cars are affected but enough to have people up in arms and enough to open a class action suit claiming that Tesla removed range and charging speed to avoid having to replace defective batteries. I probably wouldn't buy an older Model S for this reason as I'd be wondering if they plan to extend that "hobbling" update to all older cars eventually. But at a minimum, at least be sure you aren't getting a capped model S if you shop for an older one!

Mike

·
Registered
492 Posts
Be careful buying an older Model S. There's a 280+ page thread about how some have been capped by software and have reduced range and charging speed. Some of the affected cars charge slower than the Bolt and/or have lost 30+ miles of range. Not all older Model S cars are affected but enough to have people up in arms and enough to open a class action suit claiming that Tesla removed range and charging speed to avoid having to replace defective batteries. I probably wouldn't buy an older Model S for this reason as I'd be wondering if they plan to extend that "hobbling" update to all older cars eventually. But at a minimum, at least be sure you aren't getting a capped model S if you shop for an older one!

Mike
Sounds like something Appe would do. Maybe we will have Tesla battery swapping deal next year. ;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
the video begins by stating all three are basically the same price. that’s total BS in the real world.
i got my Bolt for basically $15k less than I could a model 3. I could buy a second very good used car for that difference. And THE main reason I bought a Bolt instead of Tesla.

·
Registered
960 Posts
think I would go with the Kona. It's a little wider and lower than the Bolt, which appeals to me. It also has a sunroof option (that opens, unlike the glass roof of the 3). I would choose it over the 3 because of the hatchback and the integrated roof rails (which were deciding factors for me in choosing the Bolt over the 3 two years ago).
As always, there are different strokes for folks. One of the things we like best about the Bolt is the relatively compact size and height; wider and lower, no thanks. JMHO, but I hate sunroofs and would pay extra for a car without one. We have a Premier, but have never used the roof rails.

the video begins by stating all three are basically the same price. that’s total BS in the real world.
For true; the Bolt real world is thousands less than the M3 and Kona and the Kona hasn't really been available for sale in most states.
i got my Bolt for basically $15k less than I could a model 3. I could buy a second very good used car for that difference. And THE main reason I bought a Bolt instead of Tesla.
Lowest cost is the decider for some. For others with more latitude, the hidden trap in the M3 is it's such a great BEV, one decides to step up to it. Then, adding all the bell-whistles-range-AWD-dual-motor makes it such a supercar, it's difficult not to step up to the $50-60k version. Just happened to a family member who was almost ready to buy a Bolt.

jack vines

·
Registered
838 Posts
The truth is the Kona EV is a compliance car that is only sold in CARB states for ZEV credits. They have no plans to extend it to the rest of the country. The Bolt and Model 3 are really the only two choices people should make. The Bolt can be had for $25,000 and is a hatchback. The Model 3 is a sedan that has better performance, autopilot, and a better charging network for a $10,000 plus premium. You can't go wrong with either and it is a preference for each individual. BTW GM, put some real seats in the Bolt please! ;)

·
Registered
2,705 Posts

Mike
Didn't know this, thanks! I'll have to lurk on a Tesla forum sometime. Those cars were just never on my radar before.

If there is a class action lawsuit, one could benefit from buying one of the affected cars. My friend bought a dieselgate VW just as the story broke and people were dumping them, then was paid by VW all but $500 of the price he paid for the car, 50,000 miles later.

So, the risk should be reflected in the sale price (to be negotiated), and there could possibly be a positive outcome from the whole deal.

As far as range, I don't have a desire for more than about 150 miles, and plan to never use the fast charging... although if it was free I might be more tempted.

·
Registered
329 Posts
As always, there are different strokes for folks. One of the things we like best about the Bolt is the relatively compact size and height; wider and lower, no thanks. JMHO, but I hate sunroofs and would pay extra for a car without one. We have a Premier, but have never used the roof rails.
Absolutely. I miss my old low-riding sports coupes. My father referred to them as "road-spatulas". They are just a blast to drive. I love the feeling of almost sitting on the pavement - intimately connected to the road. But I know that's not everyone. In fact, that's the minority, since everyone raves about how much they love how high their car sits now. I hate it.

As for roof rails, I use mine all the time. I very frequently have a Thule box for cargo on my roof. I also occasionally carry kayaks around. Come winter time, it will be skis. If I didn't have roof rails, I would have a clip-on aftermarket rack. I've done that many times. It always ends the same way - scratches on the roof, and concerns about the rack slipping.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Don't test drive one, [a model S] because you will buy one.[...]
They said something similar in video: not about the Model S but about the Model 3: paraphrasing badly, they said the Bolt seemed pretty good in isolation, but if you drive a Model 3, then you won't want to go back. Of course I understand there are differences of opinion, but over the course of reading and viewing a variety of comments, this video and overall idea to me has made a difference in how I plot my next move.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Thanks to everyone who has posted so far.

I might have to move out of the USA to a right hand drive country for a minimum of five years, so I need to look at options other than the Bolt which is not sold there.

Have any of you folks test driven the Kona ICE and then bought or driven the EV? I can't find a Kona or Soul EV in my area to test drive, so the ICE versions would have to do. So I'm curious how they compare so I can try to temper my own test drive with that.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I've driven my son's Model 3. I currently own a 2018 Bolt LT. IMHO the M3 rides better, is roomier and has a higher quality interior. It is definitely a more comfortable car. That being said, I prefer the Bolt due to the smaller size and higher seating position. In fact, with the EV's available right now, my choice would still be the Bolt. In almost 60 years of driving I now have the car I actually want to own.....that's cool! Too bad it took so long!

·
Registered
960 Posts
X2 - the M3 is a better over-the-road car, as well it should be for the price, but the Bolt is a better urban assault vehicle.

jack vines

21 - 31 of 31 Posts