Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For owners of 2017, 2018 and 2019 Bolts, getting a new battery pack is a great deal. A fantastic deal. You should all be very happy.

I have a 2021 Bolt. I already have a new battery pack. But if I follow GM''s guidance I can only use 60% of its range and I can’t park my brand-new car in my garage.

There’s no telling when I might be able to use the car as advertised. Does LG/GM owe us some sort of compensation for this lost usage? Are there any examples of other manufacturers compensating customers for lost usage?

When Apple was found to have been slowing down older phones with weak batteries, they gave huge discounts on new batteries for the customers affected. We got new batteries in our iPhone 6's for $30. The phones are still working years later.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
For owners of 2017, 2018 and 2019 Bolts, getting a new battery pack is a great deal. A fantastic deal. You should all be very happy.

I have a 2021 Bolt. I already have a new battery pack. But if I follow GM''s guidance I can only use 60% of its range and I can’t park my brand-new car in my garage.

There’s no telling when I might be able to use the car as advertised. Does LG/GM owe us some sort of compensation for this lost usage? Are there any examples of other manufacturers compensating customers for lost usage?

When Apple was found to have been slowing down older phones with weak batteries, they gave huge discounts on new batteries for the customers affected. We got new batteries in our iPhone 6's for $30. The phones are still working years later.
Does it adversely affect your usage of the car? I still park and charge my car in the garage. I do follow the charge limit guidance but that does not impact my daily usage. I only requested a buyback when GM put out that silly 50ft criteria and Bolts started being banned from parking garages and there was a real likelihood of not being able to use my car. At this point I probably will not take the buyback and just wait for a new pack. I expect by then I will have another 5-10k miles on the car and will have real value in getting a new pack.

All things indicate that you will be getting a new pack, it is just not as good a value for you as it is for someone else Ceis la vie . If that bothers you then maybe sell your 2021 and buy a 2017.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts

This isn't a perfect comparison, but it is close enough for government work.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
55 Posts
I got on chat the other day and asked the person if there are any plans for compensation. They said that they currently do not have plans for this, but will gladly get me a rental car. I don't need a rental as I have other vehicle options, but the point of getting the Bolt was so I don't have to buy/burn gas.

I will say that the charging pattern recommendation HAS impacted my ability to take my car for certain runs. I have to think about how many miles the round trip is and if that would put be below the recommended minimum. This happens several times a week.

·
Registered
"early" 2019 LT Slate Grey Metallic
128 Posts

I feel for you and I understand your feeling of injustice but do realize that us 2017-2019 owners have been playing in this movie for literally a year now with only a recent "known resolution". Also, "new and improved batteries" are just a happy accident as they can't manufacture the old chemistry anymore so that's all they can give us, it's not a perk.
Some specific month 2019s will get the accelerated treatment (which I'm not part of) for the rest of us it will be a waiting game. I think the important part to remember is that a resolution in the works (a final-final-final one!)

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
935 Posts

Supposedly you will get back to full and normal usage once they have the enhanced diagnostics to install, supposedly next month sometime. They stated the intention was that for the cars that pass these diagnostics to eventually get them back to 100% charging and parking indoors again. Though they did leave the wording quite vague and there have been conflicting reports on if this will be a single software update or multiple to get to that point. So I can't say for sure, but hopefully soon.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I would love to get some free cash as well.
I mean, that is how I feel - it is an easy way to milk them for money.

I invested into heat sensor, updated - although it was not otherwise necessary - all smoke detectors in the house, just to get an early warning if something is going on. I spent some money myself.

I do not limit my discharge. Besides - what is 70 miles? On summer my 70 miles is about 20% SOC while in winter as "low" as 50%.
I regularly drain it till about 25%, maybe down to 10%, and recharge to 90%.
The car is insured. The house is as well.
I am waiting for GM to get ready for my car to replace the battery.

What I would rather get from them is extension of the bumper to bumper warranty by another couple of years.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I feel for you and I understand your feeling of injustice but do realize that us 2017-2019 owners have been playing in this movie for literally a year now with only a recent "known resolution". Also, "new and improved batteries" are just a happy accident as they can't manufacture the old chemistry anymore so that's all they can give us, it's not a perk.
Some specific month 2019s will get the accelerated treatment (which I'm not part of) for the rest of us it will be a waiting game. I think the important part to remember is that a resolution in the works (a final-final-final one!)
No, no. No feelings of injustice at all. I'm happy for y'all.

I just want to get out of this whole, so I can go buy an EV from a manufacturer who knows what they're doing. A buy back would be preferable, but that's not happening.

·
Registered
216 Posts
No, no. No feelings of injustice at all. I'm happy for y'all.

I just want to get out of this whole, so I can go buy an EV from a manufacturer who knows what they're doing. A buy back would be preferable, but that's not happening.
I was under the impression they are still processing buybacks. Notwithstanding the varying pace and level of customer service, do we have any confirmation that they have stopped proceeding with buybacks for folks who are unable to live with the restrictions/uncertainty?

·
Registered
108 Posts
My guess is GM will be forced to compensate most owners based on the number of months you were without range. I doubt GM will want to go to trial with a jury and most settlements are done behind closed doors

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
My guess is GM will be forced to compensate most owners based on the number of months you were without range. I doubt GM will want to go to trial with a jury and most settlements are done behind closed doors
There already multiple class action lawsuits that have been started. At some point, they will be consolidated, and GM will settle out of court, just like you are suggesting. The lawyers will get millions, and the average owner will get hundreds.

Our wonderful court system at work.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The software will help with 100% charge but I don't think I will be putting my 2021 Bolt in the garage. I doubt GM will advise it is OK to put it in the garage unless necessary as the software update does not fix anything, it just looks for abnormalities.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I got on chat the other day and asked the person if there are any plans for compensation. They said that they currently do not have plans for this, but will gladly get me a rental car. I don't need a rental as I have other vehicle options, but the point of getting the Bolt was so I don't have to buy/burn gas.

I will say that the charging pattern recommendation HAS impacted my ability to take my car for certain runs. I have to think about how many miles the round trip is and if that would put be below the recommended minimum. This happens several times a week.
Find out if you can put the rental on Turo. And even if not, take the rental anyway. GM is sure to prioritize your case

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm with @PLP. We are not suffering. My wife drives it a minimum of 80 miles a day. We charge back to 90ish percent daily.

Recently we went on a 200 mile trip. Charged to 100% just before leaving. As the GOM hit 70 I was wondering if we were going to turn into a supernova fireball, but we didn't so we kept driving to the next EA(at a Walmart...those always seem to work in my area) and arrived at 30 miles range showing. Fast charged to about 60% while we hit the Walmart bathroom and grabbed some snacks. Repeated the same thing(charged to 100% just before we left friend's) on the return trip a couple days later.

We are generally following the rules, but crossing the line as needed. You know...common sense.

If GM offers a money gift we will accept it. If they give us a new battery and warranty we will accept it. We are spending more time driving and enjoying our Bolt than we are hating and worrying.

·
Registered
14 Posts
For me, the only difference is I now charge it during the day and after it is done at 90% I move it outside. That and keeping it above 70 miles is it, and I think I'm following the rules/advice from GM. I don't expect or want compensation; I think I'm being treated well by GM and LG. I love my car; it is the best car I have ever owned and I expect when the recall is finished it's going to be a great car that lasts quite a while.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts