Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
468 Posts
I read all this and have to ask, don't you have the thought in the back of your mind asking will today be the day? It's like the anti lotto, your playing and don't want to win. I have my rental, parked my bolt and waiting for the offer. So far no one at Chevrolet can answer any questions with straight answers and I have recieved more information from people posting here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The responses here are so interesting. Philosophical, even. “Don’t worry, be happy, use your Bolt, enjoy it, don’t hate…”

I live my life by those kind of philosophies. I do not sit and fret about the fire risk. I occasionally park my 2021 in my garage to charge, as winter sets in it becomes more difficult to use the driveway.

Yet I 100% agree with the OP that there should be compensation. Cars are not cheap, even the Bolt. We spent (are spending, with loan payments) a large chunk of cash on this vehicle that we can’t use as advertised.

It makes me shake my head in wonder that some people don’t “get” that simple concept that there are such things as promises/expectations set out by the manufacturer, that they should live up to. (I own a business, and am very careful, always, of not making promises I can’t keep… doing otherwise is a way to invite the FTC in the door).

This is not about asking for a handout. It is not a “cash grab.” It is a simple fact: we had a contract with Chevrolet and their dealer to get X product in exchange for Y money. Since X product does not work as it was promised — which, for example, caused me to cancel a road trip and pay for airfare instead — then the other party has violated their part of the “X for Y” trade.

All the original poster is asking for is how can we reduce Y correspondingly to the diminished value of X? It is simple math.

This is not about hate, malice, or anything else. It is about maintaining an equitable exchange of value according to the law, and to norms of exchange present since the dawn of commerce.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
468 Posts
The responses here are so interesting. Philosophical, even. “Don’t worry, be happy, use your Bolt, enjoy it, don’t hate…”

I live my life by those kind of philosophies. I do not sit and fret about the fire risk. I occasionally park my 2021 in my garage to charge, as winter sets in it becomes more difficult to use the driveway.

Yet I 100% agree with the OP that there should be compensation. Cars are not cheap, even the Bolt. We spent (are spending, with loan payments) a large chunk of cash on this vehicle that we can’t use as advertised.

It makes me shake my head in wonder that some people don’t “get” that simple concept that there are such things as promises/expectations set out by the manufacturer, that they should live up to. (I own a business, and am very careful, always, of not making promises I can’t keep… doing otherwise is a way to invite the FTC in the door).

This is not about asking for a handout. It is not a “cash grab.” It is a simple fact: we had a contract with Chevrolet and their dealer to get X product in exchange for Y money. Since X product does not work as it was promised — which, for example, caused me to cancel a road trip and pay for airfare instead — then the other party has violated their part of the “X for Y” trade.

All the original poster is asking for is how can we reduce Y correspondingly to the diminished value of X? It is simple math.

This is not about hate, malice, or anything else. It is about maintaining an equitable exchange of value according to the law, and to norms of exchange present since the dawn of commerce.
Well said. I didn't drive to Michigan because of the Bolt limitations.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
1,965 Posts
...It is a simple fact: we had a contract with Chevrolet and their dealer to get X product in exchange for Y money. Since X product does not work as it was promised — which, for example, caused me to cancel a road trip and pay for airfare instead — then the other party has violated their part of the “X for Y” trade...
I could imagine a dystopian future where corporations leverage our data against us in a situation like this. Let's imagine GM has OnStar data that shows that my driving patterns and access to charging before the recall could be satisfied by using less than 50% of the car's range 98% of the time. Because the recall guidance allows me to use effectively 60% of my range, GM could claim that I didn't lose anything of significant value, and that my specific compensation should only be 2% of what would otherwise be considered reasonable compensation.

So if everybody would normally get $625 for the loss of range (like in the Tesla lawsuit), I would only get $12.50. Or if the total payout was $1.5 million (like the Tesla lawsuit), drivers with my usage pattern would split $30,000, while other drivers would split the other $1.47 million.

Fortunately for us, that's not how class action lawsuits typically work right now. But the data is there, and it's not much of a stretch to imagine corporations seeking to leverage that data in situations like this.

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
I could imagine a dystopian future where corporations leverage our data against us in a situation like this. Let's imagine GM has OnStar data that shows that my driving patterns and access to charging before the recall could be satisfied by using less than 50% of the car's range 98% of the time. Because the recall guidance allows me to use effectively 60% of my range, GM could claim that I didn't lose anything of significant value, and that my specific compensation should only be 2% of what would otherwise be considered reasonable compensation.

So if everybody would normally get $625 for the loss of range (like in the Tesla lawsuit), I would only get $12.50. Or if the total payout was $1.5 million (like the Tesla lawsuit), drivers with my usage pattern would split $30,000, while other drivers would split the other $1.47 million.

Fortunately for us, that's not how class action lawsuits typically work right now. But the data is there, and it's not much of a stretch to imagine corporations seeking to leverage that data in situations like this.
Well, that will benefit the commercial users (ride share, delivery).

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Another worry I currently have: what happens when my boss or my customers ask me to politely park my Bolt somewhere else. Only a few people at work have asked me about my Bolt fire recall, but based on that I have been actively looking for parking spaces as far as I can from others.

I also didn't like the guidance of parking somewhere far from my house after charging, hence a $140 J1772 extension cord. I don't know about you, but after a day's work, my charging doesn't finish until I'm well asleep (5 hrs after I get home). I'm not waking up just to move my Bolt, especially if it's raining/cold/snowing.

Some compensation is expected because we're expected to adhere to GM's new Bolt handling guidance.

Reactions: TimSFL

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
Another worry I currently have: what happens when my boss or my customers ask me to politely park my Bolt somewhere else. Only a few people at work have asked me about my Bolt fire recall, but based on that I have been actively looking for parking spaces as far as I can from others.

I also didn't like the guidance of parking somewhere far from my house after charging, hence a $140 J1772 extension cord. I don't know about you, but after a day's work, my charging doesn't finish until I'm well asleep (5 hrs after I get home). I'm not waking up just to move my Bolt, especially if it's raining/cold/snowing.

Some compensation is expected because we're expected to adhere to GM's new Bolt handling guidance.
Looks like GM needs to provide you a 25KW charger - installed. :)

Reactions: quirkySquirt

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I was seriously considering upgrading my EVSE but had a little hope that GM would ultimately replace the battery or I'd get an acceptable buyback/swap. My current Leviton 20A EVSE w/12' cable does the job for me great and I already spent $290 on it. I don't need anything faster so I split the difference and got a 20' J1772 extension cable. That extra 8' bought me a lot of peace of mind after watching how flames whipped away from burning Bolts and other cars.

As for my customers, I'm not making a sale. I'm tech support (IT) so it's more about keeping the customer rather than making one.

·
Registered
219 Posts

I’m not sure this would be so bad. Those most affected by the recommendations get compensated. Those that aren’t as affected don’t receive as much (I’m in this group).

Edit: talking just about compensation for affected use, not damages for stress etc.

This reminds me of the recent debate in MN about raising the EV registration surcharge that is intended to compensate for lost gas tax revenue. A tax based on a combo of weight and mileage had a lot of support from EV owners, but never got legislative support

I see merits and limitations to both approaches.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I could imagine a dystopian future where corporations leverage our data against us...
We already live in that world in many aspects. We are targeted by specific advertisements based on the things we type into our computer. Because many phone apps require access to your microphone, even the words we say while using some apps are tracked. In late September, my wife and I started searching online for Halloween costumes for our kids. On the second day of this, I started getting ads for costumes we had looked at but not purchased for last Halloween. Our data is already used against us, we just need to be aware of how.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I just want to get out of this whole, so I can go buy an EV from a manufacturer who knows what they're doing. A buy back would be preferable, but that's not happening.

I'm not sure if every EV manufacturer is 100% safe. Not so much on the Model 3/Y, but Model S Teslas seem to catch fire at a much higher level than 3/Y. A lot of EVs also use LG batteries (Porsche, VW, Mach-E) and SK Innovation had to pay LG for stealing trade secrets.

I personally wouldn't mind a LFP EV since that chemistry seems generally safer (won't spontaneously combust if punctured generally), but other than the M3 SR+, isn't used by any other EV yet I think.

Good luck with your buyback, did you get rejected already? I'm really hoping they don't change policies after the 'fix' is in since most folks still want to keep the bolt anyways and people who want out should be allowed to get out.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Good luck with your buyback, did you get rejected already? I'm really hoping they don't change policies after the 'fix' is in since most folks still want to keep the bolt anyways and people who want out should be allowed to get out.
Not rejected yet, not accepted yet, either...nothing. They've had my paperwork for 6 weeks.

Does following GM's guidance affect us? Yes, yes it does.
  • Our new EV sits outside on the driveway and all our neighbors, EV skeptics one and all, all know why.
  • Our range is reduced to 60% of what we thought we purchased.
  • I had to move our EVSE and buy an extension cable that runs under the garage door.
  • If we know we're going to be parking in a multi-story lot we take the ICE car instead. That's surprisingly often.

We've only owned the Bolt for a few months, no experience of winter temperatures yet. With mild temperatures we're getting about 150 miles range.
Can anyone tell me what my approximate range will be when it averages 20F at night, 32F daytime and we're charging to 90%, not going below 70 miles?

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
I'm not sure if every EV manufacturer is 100% safe. Not so much on the Model 3/Y, but Model S Teslas seem to catch fire at a much higher level than 3/Y. A lot of EVs also use LG batteries (Porsche, VW, Mach-E) and SK Innovation had to pay LG for stealing trade secrets.

I personally wouldn't mind a LFP EV since that chemistry seems generally safer (won't spontaneously combust if punctured generally), but other than the M3 SR+, isn't used by any other EV yet I think.

This is another case where battery swapping tech would come in handy. Use LFP normally and swap to NMC/NMA when you go on road trips. The same batteries could also, for example, be leased to DCFC stations. The batteries would need to come with its own BMS (like Ultium) to ensure compatibility/matching of battery and BMS. It's just a benefit of having the same format.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Main disadvantage is that LFP has lower energy density. The Tesla Model 3 SR+ can use an LFP battery because its battery space is larger than needed for the higher energy density NCA battery with SR+ capacity (the Model 3 battery space can fit the larger NCA battery for the LR version).

In theory, an EV which offers varying capacities and whose smallest capacity is about 2/3 that of the largest capacity can use LFP battery for the smallest capacity.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
468 Posts
Why does it take 4 to 6 weeks to put your offer into an excel spread sheet? And why the high pressure decide in a day or else. I'm really upset we don't get offers earlier and more time to make a choice.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Why does it take 4 to 6 weeks to put your offer into an excel spread sheet? And why the high pressure decide in a day or else. I'm really upset we don't get offers earlier and more time to make a choice.
I totally agree with you. The buyback calculation is not rocket science. I've only had my data in for a month, but still coming to a buyback offer should be a pretty quick exercise.

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
I totally agree with you. The buyback calculation is not rocket science. I've only had my data in for a month, but still coming to a buyback offer should be a pretty quick exercise.
Perhaps there is only an "I" in Team, as in one person working all California cases. LOL

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
468 Posts
Guessing that 60% of people are going to keep their Bolt. That is 140k * 60% = 84000 no change. So 56K cases to deal with across the US. They have been at this at least a month if not more so... If you don't want to you hire out to a data processing firm you can hire a web company to make a webpage for you and the people can enter in the data themselves. The entry points are year of car. MSRP of Miles on car State and what laws apply and mileage depreciation applies. Its not rocket science. You punch it in and the form letter goes out and they will contact you ASAP your number is XXX in the queue. You can check your place in the queue via the web and no time wasting on hold.
That gives you time to work out a dealer or whatever else needs to be done and you can be ready on the day they call.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts