Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
381 - 400 of 419 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just dropped of my 2017 Bolt at the dealer to complete my straight repurchase. Thought I'd share my experience here in case it's helpful to others.

I'm in NJ.

6/4/21 - Got a call from the buy back team. She requested a bunch of documents from me: Buyer's order, retail finance contract, payoff statement, picture of odometer. Let me know that it would take 7 to 21 business days to review my case. Promised to reach back out to me every two days to check in even if there wasn't a change in status (she did this via email).
Thank you for this detailed info. Also being in NJ with a 2017, I'm a little more hopeful now. Interesting to note that when I spoke to my assigned representative a few days ago, I was told to expect an update every four business days instead of your two... maybe they're expecting to be a lot busier now than last month!

Were you pleased with the $ offered? Or were you just happy to get out?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you for this detailed info. Also being in NJ with a 2017, I'm a little more hopeful now. Interesting to note that when I spoke to my assigned representative a few days ago, I was told to expect an update every four business days instead of your two... maybe they're expecting to be a lot busier now than last month!

Were you pleased with the $ offered? Or were you just happy to get out?
No worries. I'd actually seen your previous post and that you were also from NJ so I tried to message you directly with my progress to date, but the site wouldn't allow me to because I'm too new of a registered user. I didn't want to post my story to the thread until the check was actually in my hands. (paranoid, I know)

I thought the offer from Chevy was very fair. I like that they refunded all of the finance charges I'd paid on the loan. Essentially it ended up being a 3.5 year interest-free lease in that I only paid for the usage of the car and then returned it. No sales tax in NJ on EV's was also nice. Would have been better if NJ laws based usage on 120K miles instead of 100K like some other states, but that is what it is.

It was actually a convergence of circumstances that led to me wanting to sell it back. I'd been loosely following the issues with the battery but wasn't overly concerned at first, tbh. Then, I started reading about the buy backs and that the problem was worse than I understood. THEN, Ford starting taking reservations on the F150 Lightning. I've always WANTED a pickup, but have definitely never NEEDED a pickup, and wasn't about to waste the $$ on a gas guzzling truck. So the Lightning kinda checked all the boxes for me. So with the ability so sell the Bolt back to Chevy for what I thought was much, much more than I'd get on the open market, I had to jump at it. Also, working from home more often nowadays and my kids being away at school will allow me to be without my own personal vehicle for 6-12 months without too much of a hassle (hopefully).

With yesterday's news I'm very glad I jumped when I did. To your point, I'm sure the concierge department is totally slammed. I have to imagine Chevy will start replacing batteries or completely reconsider their position on the buy backs in some of the states. Not charging at night and not garaging the car is not a viable solution.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm sure this was already asked but does General Motors initiate the buy back or the Bolt owner? I have a 2017 Bolt and have complied with both recalls. This issues with the battery fires is a bit unsettling.

Steve

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm sure this was already asked but does General Motors initiate the buy back or the Bolt owner? I have a 2017 Bolt and have complied with both recalls. This issues with the battery fires is a bit unsettling.

Steve
I initiated my buy back. However, when I spoke to the sales person when doing my build and price he said he had one owner contacted directly from GM to do a buyback. So unless he was lying, it seem GM has started the process for some without customer initiation. This is in MA.

Sadly, in MA they deduct usage at 15c/mile off the purchase price (not MSRP). However, if you do a swap there is no deduction and it's for MSRP.

So it's better to get a replacement and sell it than it is to do a buyback. For someone with low mileage, it could work out. My MSRP was 44k+. My purchase price was 39k and with the milage I have it would be closer to 31k buyback. So a fully loaded EUV will sell for more than 31k "used" with virtually zero miles on it.

I do like the EUV though aside from the launch edition blackout wheels. Those are horrendous wheels.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I initiated my buy back. However, when I spoke to the sales person when doing my build and price he said he had one owner contacted directly from GM to do a buyback. So unless he was lying, it seem GM has started the process for some without customer initiation. This is in MA.

Sadly, in MA they deduct usage at 15c/mile off the purchase price (not MSRP). However, if you do a swap there is no deduction and it's for MSRP.

So it's better to get a replacement and sell it than it is to do a buyback. For someone with low mileage, it could work out. My MSRP was 44k+. My purchase price was 39k and with the milage I have it would be closer to 31k buyback. So a fully loaded EUV will sell for more than 31k "used" with virtually zero miles on it.

I do like the EUV though aside from the launch edition blackout wheels. Those are horrendous wheels.
Good info, thanks. Did you start at the dealer or call GM directly?

·
Registered
672 Posts
You have to start with GM. The dealer only comes into the picture when you return the car and get a check.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have a unique 2020 bolt. I just recently got word on my buyback

Issues are

Car pulling to right and uncentered steering wheel Even after resting the monitor and multiple alignments.
door rattle
rack and pinion squeaking
car popping in rear.

Paid/Payable: $40,882.22
Current Registration: $525.74
Mileage Offset @798 miles: waived
Rebate: -$8.500.00
Subtotal/My total: $32,907.96

Attorney Fees: $15,000.00
Total: $47,907.96

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update from NY State - I called the 800 number to request GM to buy back my 2017 Bolt Premier with 42,000 miles on it that I bought new. They just got back to me 4 days later by text and stated:
"Buyback Request Declined. Vehicle is out of NY Consumer Protection Law 2yr/18,000 mile presumption period."

That's it. I had thought about trading it in and had an offer from a Ford dealer prior to all of this for $17K a few weeks ago. Not sure what to do but wait and see if they can come up with a fix that works. I wonder what % of these cars is eventually going to spontaneously combust. Scary thought.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
1,965 Posts
Update from NY State - I called the 800 number to request GM to buy back my 2017 Bolt Premier with 42,000 miles on it that I bought new. They just got back to me 4 days later by text and stated:
"Buyback Request Declined. Vehicle is out of NY Consumer Protection Law 2yr/18,000 mile presumption period."

That's it. I had thought about trading it in and had an offer from a Ford dealer prior to all of this for $17K a few weeks ago. Not sure what to do but wait and see if they can come up with a fix that works. I wonder what % of these cars is eventually going to spontaneously combust. Scary thought.
Rumor (Redditor who spoke with Chevy EV concierge) is that GM will announce something Friday. I'd at least hold off on making any decisions until then.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm late to the game: I decided to give the "remedy" (not a "fix") a chance but decided I'd ask for a buyback (2017 in NJ) the moment another fire occurred. I called the concierge line last week and received a call from an agent this morning.
Somehow I missed the email until just now -- I was insta-declined on my request the same day (July 14)!
Your request was carefully reviewed and General Motors is declining your request for a repurchase.

Chevrolet looked into every case individually and in great detail before rendering our decisions. Any repurchases or trades that were made were done at a time the recall was not available and was only done as a customer satisfaction program. Now that the recall is available, repurchases are no longer an option as we fully stand behind and are confident in this fix.
I replied back to inquire about a swap or trade option.

Then today, I get an email from them reminding me not only to not charge unattended, leave it outside, but to also now reinstate the 90% charge limit despite having the final recall applied. And the "best" part is this announcement is confirming the two recent fires had the recall patches applied? Wow, that's comforting. I'm speculating that some broader plan must be coming, but this is still hugely disappointing.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I've got another problem now... Turned in the car last Tuesday and my financing still hasn't been paid off. Anyone else have a delay on financed vehicles? I've called and escalated twice with no callback...

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've got another problem now... Turned in the car last Tuesday and my financing still hasn't been paid off. Anyone else have a delay on financed vehicles? I've called and escalated twice with no callback...
Not the exact same thing, but I sold a car to Carvana recently that was financed and it took almost a month for my financing to show as "paid off". It's probably sitting on someone's desk waiting to be processed.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I remember that I was told it could take up to 2 weeks for the lender to receive the payoff. I think it took right at or just over a week.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Thanks - that really sucks because nobody gave me that timeline otherwise I would've just paid it off and taken a check from them.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts

Sorry they denied You but I would just keep trying anyways! Maybe they would allow You an MSRP swap?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I will challenge that.

•called the EV Consierge on Feb 27
•offer letter March 3
•contacted by Repurchase Dept March 26
•cash offer letter March 29
•received straight repurchase check on April 5

37 days start to finish.

In CA repurchase of a ‘17. I was a 2nd owner and had purchased outright. No leinholder on the title means lightning round through the Repurchase Dept.
I'm the second owner of a Bolt and was wondering how that worked. Did you get your full purchase price back? Did they offer any kind of swap?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was told about 2 weeks. At the end of two weeks I called GM to see if there was an update. None, but to wait.
Next day the transaction was completed.

Overall, I'm satisfied with the whole effort.

I remember that I was told it could take up to 2 weeks for the lender to receive the payoff. I think it took right at or just over a week.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I'm the second owner of a Bolt and was wondering how that worked. Did you get your full purchase price back? Did they offer any kind of swap?
I am in CA, so other states results may vary.

I started the approach with a “swap”, I intended to be in a Bolt without the affected battery after repurchase. I did everything asked for, and made my choice for swap of a ‘20 premier for sale at my preferred dealer, giving my swap rep the VIN. About a week later, the dealer sold the target vehicle, and didn’t have any other Bolt I was interested in.

My swap rep went MIA for a week while I came unglued over the dealer pulling the rug out from my swap. I left daily messages to please call. After the forth unanswered message, I called the direct line but left out the extension #. I ended up talking to a n “operator” who relayed a message to my rep’s supervisor to “please call asap”. That got me a return call in 2.5 hours.

I wanted to know what was next. The car I chose was sold. I wanted to know what the “usage fee”calculation was also. I wanted to know how to pick a swap car that wouldn’t be sold.

She asked if I would like to “escalate” my claim to a straight cash repurchase? I replied with a question “if that will get me out of this car and into another then “yes””.

Three business days later I was contacted by the Repurchase Department. The next day I received the cash offer. One more week for the “repurchase packet” to arrive at the dealer and turn in the car.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Did you get your full purchase price back?
A formula loosely based on the lemon law is used to determine the repurchase amount. A “usage fee” is applied based on the ratio of “miles driven” divided by 120,000 miles (legal expected lifetime). The resulting fraction is multiplied by the “purchase price” to get the usage fee. For the exact formula, you should read through all the buyback threads (see you in a few days LOL), because it varies state-by-state.

In my case, I purchased outright a used ‘17 premier with 34k miles for $25,800 out the door. I had put 3084 miles on it when I called the Consierge line. The usage fee for the milage I did came to $608 usage fee.
so yes, I basically got back what I paid including tax/lic etc. But that is because of only 3K miles; more milage = more usage fee.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Since the news broke about the 2020-2022 Bolt models, I and my wife don't feel comfortable with the car. I have been in contact with GM, through twitter. A record of everything being typed is automatically recorded which is a great benefit of using twitter.
I've let them know where I stand, sent them the required information and have asked for a complete repurchase.
I financed $28k. So because I put nothing down on the Bolt and got it at 0%, and have only had it for 6 months. I suppose my offer if they respect my buyback wishes, will probably be the 6 months of payments and the taxes I paid, minus usage fee of 4,000 miles. Any thoughts about this?
On the positive note, I was able to set up my garage for 240v EV charging.

381 - 400 of 419 Posts