Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
The dealer where we bought the Bolt has a Level-3 charger, back in their service department. I added it to Plugshare a couple times, but it keeps getting deleted. I guess the dealer doesn't want folks to know about it.
I didn't know you could put somebody else's charger on PlugShare. Kind of like listing somebody else's house on Airbnb.

·
Registered
52 Posts
An official Chevy-branded map would be a rubber stamp for public use, over which GM currently has no direct control. It's down to the individual dealership to decide how they use the single Bosch 25kW unit that those who choose to sell the Bolt EV are required to install, which is why you'll see such varied feedback on Plugshare.

Some are public, at dealers located in key areas with 24/7 access and great hospitality. Some limit them to Chevy vehicles only, others only to their direct customers. Then there are plenty who hide them away in service bays or block the station with inventory vehicles outside of opening hours.

In general, Plugshare is the only resource I trust to accurately assess the likelihood of being able to charge at a dealership. Even if Chevy released an official map, in the current situation I'd guess it would quickly be outdated and lead EV owners into some unpleasant conversations with less welcoming dealers.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
An official Chevy-branded map would be a rubber stamp for public use, over which GM currently has no direct control. It's down to the individual dealership to decide how they use the single Bosch 25kW unit that those who choose to sell the Bolt EV are required to install, which is why you'll see such varied feedback on Plugshare.

Some are public, at dealers located in key areas with 24/7 access and great hospitality. Some limit them to Chevy vehicles only, others only to their direct customers. Then there are plenty who hide them away in service bays or block the station with inventory vehicles outside of opening hours.

In general, Plugshare is the only resource I trust to accurately assess the likelihood of being able to charge at a dealership. Even if Chevy released an official map, in the current situation I'd guess it would quickly be outdated and lead EV owners into some unpleasant conversations with less welcoming dealers.
I get all that. I just figured the owner of a charger got the say as to whether their charger was on PlugShare. I know I'd be pretty upset if you took it upon yourself listed our EVSE on PlugShare.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I posted a couple of sites on PlugShare. Then I noticed later that additional details are added. I think someone goes through to validate the entries by calling the sites. Perhaps whoever took the call at your local Chevy told them there is no such thing and the PlugShare people deleted it. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
That's not true. My local Chevy dealer does not carry Bolts, in fact they refuse to sell any kind of plug in vehicle (including the Volts when they were available) When I asked they told me that they don't have any level-2 chargers either.
Two years ago when we bought the Volt the local dealer tried to talk me out of it, I ended up having to drive up to Tucson (90 miles away) to buy it. When we bought the Bolt back in Dec 2018, we also had to got up to Tucson.

The dealer where we bought the Bolt has a Level-3 charger, back in their service department. I added it to Plugshare a couple times, but it keeps getting deleted. I guess the dealer doesn't want folks to know about it.
There's a lot of variability in the Chevvy dealerships about Bolts. Surprising GM doesn't seem to have much leverage with the dealers. The first dealership I went to had about ten Bolts. The next one closer to me had only two Bolts.

GM also needs more aggressive Bolt marketing. For example, nobody mentions the regen L mode, which can extend your range to over 300 miles in city driving. I'm at 320 miles right now after a full charge. You don't really know that, it seems, unless you own one. Ideal for local driving.

The Bolt is still in its infancy. It's about where the Prius was 10-12 years ago.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Surprising GM doesn't seem to have much leverage with the dealers. The first dealership I went to had about ten Bolts. The next one closer to me had only two Bolts.
And depending how long they sit on the lot, they may never have another. Dealerships are private businesses that buy their cars from the manufacturer, usually with borrowed money. They buy what sells, and what makes them money from parts, and labor.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I get all that. I just figured the owner of a charger got the say as to whether their charger was on PlugShare. I know I'd be pretty upset if you took it upon yourself listed our EVSE on PlugShare.
Oh yeah, I'm responding more to the OP suggesting an official Chevy map of some sort. I agree any charge station posted on Plugshare should either be by the owner, have approval from the owner, or at least be marked "Restricted" until public use is verified.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I didn't know you could put somebody else's charger on PlugShare. Kind of like listing somebody else's house on Airbnb.
Sure you can.

I've added a few some public locations myself. One turned out to be a dupe. Apparently, it was there but marked restricted (https://www.plugshare.com/location/15000).

How "restricted" that location is can be debated... vs. some others where it's obvious (e.g. behind a security gate, locked via physical key, keypad with no codes published publicly, ChargePoint stations set to restricted so that only members of a charging group can activate, etc.)

Here's a legit one I added and was defnitely not in Plugshare before: https://www.plugshare.com/location/201283.

·
Registered
173 Posts
"Friendly, doesn't mind knocking at 3:45 am.

Owner is okay with dog poop being left behind to naturally fertilize the yard."

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I've added a few (L2) chargers to PlugShare, but I haven't added the DCFC at my dealer because they told me that while it's free to use for their customers (so I could use it) it's not really a public charger.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts