Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Up until yesterday, I had never heard or seen battery conditioning occur while driving. Ambient temperatures here have been consistent for a few weeks, and so have my trips. The difference seems to be that my SoC was higher than normal. Therefore I am led to conclude that the higher the SoC, the more likely battery cooling will occur. Is this correct?

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Up until yesterday, I had never heard or seen battery conditioning occur while driving. Ambient temperatures here have been consistent for a few weeks, and so have my trips. The difference seems to be that my SoC was higher than normal. Therefore I am led to conclude that the higher the SoC, the more likely battery cooling will occur. Is this correct?
Not necessarily. It's possible that SoC contributes to the parameters, but battery conditioning is primarily temperature driven.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Of course battery conditioning is temperature driven. The question is whether a higher SoC implies that the battery will be at a higher temperature.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Of course battery conditioning is temperature driven. The question is whether a higher SoC implies that the battery will be at a higher temperature.
No, the higher SoC doesn't, in and of itself, imply that the battery is at a higher temperature. If anything, the opposite would be true. As the voltage of the pack decreases, the current draw increases, and with that, internal impedance and heat increase.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts