Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apple, the richest business that ever has existed, has confirmed what many others have suspected for sometime, it is getting into the automobile industry.

The Guardian reports that they obtained documents through a public records request. The documents show that Project Titan is actually further along than previously thought.

The documents specifically reveal that Apple engineers have communicated with a Bay Area testing ground for autonomous vehicles, called GoMentum Station, housed in an old naval base. It seems clear that there's little reason for Apple to be seeking to use a facility like this in the near future unless they had a prototype to test out.
The auto industry is only going to become more competitive. Times are a-changing and the cream will rise to the top.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/news/a26389/report-apple-autonomous-car-code-named-project-titan-confirmed/

·
Registered
263 Posts
They'll have to compete with Google who is already testing their's in the real world with humans inside.

Thought he dog does look a bit concerned.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It will be interesting to see what the two tech behemoths come out with in comparison to eachother. It seems that Google is going for something much more casual than Apple. I imagine Apple to come out with a car that is more comparable to a Tesla Model S. Google, on the other hand, seems like they are doing something more like Uber. The cars would run around the city and pick people up and drop them off, but they would be owned by companies (or Google themselves) instead of each person owning one.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Sounds like a good time to invest in Alphabet/Google stock, with their growing developments with the robotics industry and with vehicles and then the right timing in the industry for these to launch.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I mean they are pretty risky projects really. I mean they are not for sure going to be successful and be the leader or get market share. If you think they are going to though, I guess you should invest. Just don't put all your retirement money there.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I mean they are pretty risky projects really. I mean they are not for sure going to be successful and be the leader or get market share. If you think they are going to though, I guess you should invest. Just don't put all your retirement money there.
Well Alphabet as a whole falls under the current google stock code, and with what they have going on you can't go wrong, it's not like by buying google stock you're only going to get a cut out of their self-driving cars.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
True. The Alphabet thing was just so that the different areas of the company could report their results separate from the main paid search revenue.

·
Registered
639 Posts
True. The Alphabet thing was just so that the different areas of the company could report their results separate from the main paid search revenue.
There's far more to it than that and as much as I could go into detail about it, in short, it all comes back to branding. With what's envisioned to diversify their assets, it only makes sense to create the structure they have with alphabet.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I mean, the general reason was to separate the different areas of the company. Google was too large. They just wanted to split it up a bit so that each project was more defined.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I mean, the general reason was to separate the different areas of the company. Google was too large. They just wanted to split it up a bit so that each project was more defined.
Yeah basically, they have a lot of ideas that cant go under google.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Apple will fail as a car vendor

The auto industry is only going to become more competitive. Times are a-changing and the cream will rise to the top.
Apple will fail as Tucker and others did. :(

In the beginning of the 20th century (and later in the 1950s) there were many new auto companies and brands. As the big Four (now Big Two and a Half) was dominating the automobile market, the smaller companies were merged, bought out, or disappeared as the market changed. Some were started by ex-employees of the larger companies (DeLorean is one we all know) and now only exists as classics or specialty cars.

Look what happened to Fisker! It began as a EV competitor to GM's Volt and Tesla Motors' Model S, yet it failed after one year of sales.

If Apple wants to make cars, it has to join another company. There are many Apple fans, but most will not buy an Apple-car. So I predict its failure before it sells the first year, as Fisker did.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Umm... I think you are wrong. First of all, Fisker competing with Tesla is a funny example because Tesla is an example of a new auto company that is successful by your own admission. So obviously its possible.

Furthermore, Apple has literally the most money in the bank that any company has had, ever. If any company is capable of starting an automotive wing from scratch it is them. They also have a big head start with a lot of the tech that goes into cars these days which will be an advantage.

If we were talking about just any start-up car company, I would give your argument more credence, but we are talking about Apple. They aren't going to be bought out, merged, or disappear.

I think that when you think of the automotive industry as a tech industry, it makes more sense why Google and Apple are getting involved. I think they can bring some new, big ideas to the industry.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Umm... I think you are wrong. First of all, Fisker competing with Tesla is a funny example because Tesla is an example of a new auto company that is successful by your own admission. So obviously its possible.

Furthermore, Apple has literally the most money in the bank that any company has had, ever. If any company is capable of starting an automotive wing from scratch it is them. They also have a big head start with a lot of the tech that goes into cars these days which will be an advantage.

If we were talking about just any start-up car company, I would give your argument more credence, but we are talking about Apple. They aren't going to be bought out, merged, or disappear.

I think that when you think of the automotive industry as a tech industry, it makes more sense why Google and Apple are getting involved. I think they can bring some new, big ideas to the industry.
That's the best way to think about them, as a tech company and cars are heading more and more into that direction as far as being more integrated into hand held tech, eventually working up to all of it being streamlined.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I mean there is already smartphone apps that get your car to automatically drive to where you are and pick you up. And that is just one example of how they are integrating slowly.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I mean there is already smartphone apps that get your car to automatically drive to where you are and pick you up. And that is just one example of how they are integrating slowly.
There are?

Didn't think we were that far into the self-driving vehicle game and instead years before that.

·
Registered
263 Posts
That is amazing! I wonder how it knows where to park. Does it just remember the location of the spot the first time you manually park it in? This would be great of those who has underground parking and their own reserved spot.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That is amazing! I wonder how it knows where to park. Does it just remember the location of the spot the first time you manually park it in? This would be great of those who has underground parking and their own reserved spot.
I think that it uses cameras and sensors to find an open parking spot. I think it would be most useful with large parking lots at shopping malls, movie theatres, Disney Land, etc...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts