Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my Consumer Reports magazine in the mail today, and I was glad to see they liked the Bolt! No surprise, but I would have liked to have gotten their word in March when I was shopping.

They didn't like the front seats (I do), nor the choppy ride over rough roads (nor do I). But they liked the handling (as do I) and the range (what's not to like).

Scored almost as high as the Prius Prime, but then if you wanted a hybrid you wouldn't be looking at a Bolt, would you?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I think it took so long because Consumer Reports gets their test cars the old school way, by buying it from a dealership like everyone else so they don't get special treatment.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
"Almost as high as a Prius Prime" That makes me not trust the review whatsoever!
That sounds to me like a comment based either on the styling or the fact that it's a relatively low-range PHEV rather than a BEV. Which would be a rather superficial way to judge the relative merits of the cars.

They're different kinds of vehicles for different markets. If CR rates a truck higher than the Bolt it just means it's a good truck, it doesn't mean the Bolt is a bad EV.

The review doesn't seem to be up on their web site yet, but I'll be looking for it.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
I'm wondering how they will rate reliability on the Bolt. The current model Volt got poor marks for reliability in its first year.
It will depend on the results they get from Bolt owners when they do their next reliability survey. It'll be interesting to see the data, because it will be a lot more objective and have a much bigger sample size than the individual anecdotal stories we see here in the forum.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I think it took so long because Consumer Reports gets their test cars the old school way, by buying it from a dealership like everyone else so they don't get special treatment.
I agree and they came out with this review at a time where the type of reviews that matter the most (to me) are out in great numbers.... that type of review being owner reviews, rarely can a reviewer top an owner with a good voice.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I'm wondering how they will rate reliability on the Bolt. The current model Volt got poor marks for reliability in its first year.
Its a bit of an apple an oranges comparison, as the EV does not have a gasoline motor, so there is less to go wrong. Hence, ts tough to say that the Bolt might have a poor reliability in the first year based on the Volt's history.:)

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I don't think anyone on the forum has really run into reliability problems yet, at least as far as I can recall and a few owners are racking up some serious mileage too.

·
Registered
368 Posts
My Bolt's had 12% down time during my first 9,000 miles. My ICE car ('98 Lexus LS) has been in the shop much less than 1% of the time I've owned it, and zero percent of its first 6 months.

Electric cars may become more reliable someday. Not yet.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I don't think anyone on the forum has really run into reliability problems yet, at least as far as I can recall and a few owners are racking up some serious mileage too.
Only thing I have seen are reports of interior rattles but that's it. The rest is people getting used to the regen system thinking the lurches are transmission issues when its actually not. As people put more miles on these we should see much more consistent feedback.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My Bolt's had 12% down time during my first 9,000 miles. My ICE car ('98 Lexus LS) has been in the shop much less than 1% of the time I've owned it, and zero percent of its first 6 months.

Why? What's the reason for the downtime?

·
Registered
979 Posts
+1 to understanding the downtime. So far mine has needed (only) a driver door switch replaced. Although all the peripheral electrics & electronics on the Bolt make it a little frightening for the long term.

Regarding CR's short (free) report on the Bolt EV. I think CR unfairly backhanded the Bolt re: the comment “choppy ride”.

Show me another CUV-ish vehicle with wheelbase around 102”and track width around 59” that rides and handles as wonderfully as the Bolt! There isn’t one.

Compared to my 1st vehicle which was a bugeye Sprite. The Bolt rides like a limo. :p It’s all a matter of perspective.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts

Really? One example makes the Chevy Bolt not as reliable as an ICE car? My Bolt has had 0% downtime, which according to your logic makes the Chevy Bolt the most reliable car ever made! Please take a class in statistics or critical thinking, you will be better off for it.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Really? One example makes the Chevy Bolt not as reliable as an ICE car? My Bolt has had 0% downtime, which according to your logic makes the Chevy Bolt the most reliable car ever made! Please take a class in statistics or critical thinking, you will be better off for it.
Some of his troubles have been chronicled in this forum:

http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/178-2017-chevy-bolt-ev-issues-problems/9826-your-experience-trouble-free-so-far.html#post110050

I can see being frustrated with the experience if it was me, although I don't think I would tar *all* EVs with this brush.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Absolutely, I would be upset as well. However, I understand that if I buy any new car (especially a first generation car) that this is a possibility. There are lemons out there and also one bad component or wire could be a horrific thing to troubleshoot.

There is one youtuber who just spends time making videos on every flaw of his Bolt. It is annoying, but some people just need to do this. I guess being in the science field allows me to separate my emotions from my decisions.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Don't be a moron. I gave an example, not statistical evidence. Take a class in reading comprehension.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Why? What's the reason for the downtime?
Two weeks in the shop for a bad "heater control unit". The car would not shift into D or L or R, and had to be towed to the dealer. I've seen 3 or 4 other cases of the Bolt giving the "conditions not correct for shifting" message and needing service, the others seemed to have different root causes however. Other miscellaneous shorter stays in the shop for infotainment software, a battery problem (the 12-volt, not the big traction battery), and a broken seat height adjustment lever.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
A moron? You just said that EV's are not reliable because of your one bad experience. I am sorry that you had a horrific experience, but the majority of owners have had great reliability with their Bolt.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Some of his troubles have been chronicled in this forum:

http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/178-2017-chevy-bolt-ev-issues-problems/9826-your-experience-trouble-free-so-far.html#post110050

I can see being frustrated with the experience if it was me, although I don't think I would tar *all* EVs with this brush.
Not especially frustrated. Sure, I'd have preferred not to have the downtime, but it's a new car/type for GM, it seemed like they rushed it to market a little, and I kind of expected some problems. Just the normal disadvantage of early adoption. I think Bolt is a great car, with a few kinks yet to work out on the early production cars.

There may be some EVs with reliability scores better than comparable ICE vehicles - maybe the Prius Primes or the Leaves? But Consumer Reports and others have found Teslas also spend lots of time in the shop for repairs, and overall I don't think we've seen the maintenance-free EVs that have been expected. I imagine it will happen in a few years, but these things take time.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts