Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Consumer Reports released their 2016 Annual Auto Reliability Survey and manufacturers are ranked based on the predicted reliability of their vehicles. The Bolt may not be out yet, but Chevy's increase in the reliability rankings can only bode good things for us. Chevy moved up 5 spots, still not on the level of toyota or Lexus, but still better than a lot of other brands.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I strongly recommend adding direct web links to any article reference as a courtesy to our readers.

Here is the Consumer Reports article:
http://www.consumerreports.org/car-reliability/car-reliability-survey-2016/

These GM vehicles were added to the "Recommended" list:
Cadillac XTS
Chevrolet Camaro
Chevrolet Corvette
Chevrolet Cruze

And only the Chevrolet Volt was added to the "Not Recommended" list.

This is the full CR list for all new cars. Those with the checkmark are "REcommended":
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/types/new-a-to-z-index.htm

You can see for yourselves where the GM brands and models appear on this full list. The Chevy Bolt appears as "not Recommended', but that is obvious as it is a new model.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
From what I can see with the Volt (I'm not subscribed) the cons listed sound pretty annoying.

-Hard to see out
-Hard to get in and out of
-Tight cabin with meager rear seat space
-No running cost advantage over a Prius

*Note that I have never actually gone to see one in the dealership as of yet.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can't really comapre the volt to bolt, one is a sedan and the other is a hatchback. Getting in and out along with passenger space shouldn't be a problem anymore, and I don't think the Bolt A-pillar looks that big.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have never been a huge fan of Consumer Reports. However, I take particular exception with the 'No running cost advantage over a Prius' when talking about the Volt. I take the running costs to be just fuel and maintenance and to not factor in the purchase price. I say this because it all depends on how you are using the vehicle. To me, it seems that they must be basing this on the fact that you are never charging, or that you are only charging the battery once per tank of gas (only 50 miles of all electric for every 350 or 400 miles driven). With the current generation Volt, you can get up to 50 miles of all electric range. Most people drive significantly less than this each day and can charge the vehicle daily. This should significantly reduce your cost of operation. The plug in Prius has nowhere near the all electric range.

·
Registered
735 Posts
they don't suggest the current volt but guess what, there's a lot of people out there that have one, i've been seeing more of these on the road that with the previous generation and more than any other EV once you look at time of release and how soon they've shown up.

I rather look into the experiences of those owners than ONE source.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The one source is based on reports form hundreds or even thousands of subscribers. They have indicated the Gen 1 Volt was quite reliable and it's only after the redesign that it's had issues. Apparently with the ICE part of the powertrain (This was mentioned in one of their Youtube podcasts).

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In don't foresee many problems cropping up with the Bolt since the Volt held up so well over the years before the redesign. Too bad I don't have an account at consumer reports since the Road test, predicted reliability, and owner satisfaction scores are hidden.

They also had this handy chart, which I assume is based on mostly ICE vehicles.

·
Registered
26 Posts
From what I can see with the Volt (I'm not subscribed) the cons listed sound pretty annoying.

-Hard to see out
-Hard to get in and out of
-Tight cabin with meager rear seat space
-No running cost advantage over a Prius

*Note that I have never actually gone to see one in the dealership as of yet.
I agree with this. I thought the new Volt was uncomfortable and poorly designed when I checked it out at a dealer recently.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would disagree that the Volt has 'No running cost advantage over a Prius', at least for those that primarily drive for distances that allow only electric usage.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I agree with this. I thought the new Volt was uncomfortable and poorly designed when I checked it out at a dealer recently.
I agree with the first three: Volt rear seat has poor headroom, and visibility is poor. But it is swoopy and sporty: really meant for 1-2 commuters or taking primary age kids to school.

My biggest beef is that similar to the Bolt, Chevy goes overboard with the cost cutting in the cargo area with a laughable cargo cover and flimsy non-hinged charge cord compartment, and in the rear seat area with rock hard door panels. As my wife said, "if they cheap out so much on things you can see, how many corners are they cutting on things you can't see?" GM really, really, really needs lessons from Ford and Honda on perceived quality. The Volt is a much better engineering effort than a Ford Energi plug-in hybrid, but the materials quality and thoughtless design of the interior strongly imply the opposite to the buyer (although in fairness, CarPlay works better than any Sync system, and GM made the interior look very appealing from the front seat, where the greatest amount of time is spent).

And yes, it's absurd that CR would say there is no running cost advantage vs a Prius because that's 100% dependent on your use case ... they should at least explain that.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
The cargo cover in the Bolt is similar to that of the one in the Mini Countryman. Same material, same sort of mechanism. I seem to recall renting other vehicles with similar cargo covers, at lest in terms of material. It's hardly unique to Chevy.

Also, Chevy is not unique in the non-hinged hidden charge cord storage compartment. The gen 2 Prius had a similar false floor that was equally awkward to operate in order to get access to the hidden storage area, much less get at the spare tire underneath it all. I don't know if the gen 3 was any better or worse.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts