Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Not the lens itself, but the plastic based on soft contact-lens technology could be the solution to reducing an EV’s charging time to just seconds and helping them travel long distances on a charge.

University of Surrey researchers have been developing a polymer that could greatly dramatically boost the performance of supercapacitors. These supercapacitors are lightweight electronic components that can typically store 10 to 100 times more energy per unit volume than electrolytic capacitors and it can charge and distribute high volumes of power faster than batteries. They can even handle more charge and discharge cycles.

Currently average supercapacitor energy density is around 5 watt-hours a kilogram, substantially denser than the 100 watt-hours of lithium ion batteries used in EVs. The new polymer tech could boost the energy density even more, anywhere between 1,000 and 10,000 times is possible. That would bring EVs closer to the 2,500 watt-hours per kg of gasoline-powered cars.

Augmented Optics CEO Jim Heathcote, told Automotive News: “If it’s 1,000 times more powerful, you can use it for buses. If it got to 50 watt-hours, it would do general transportation. Anything above that is just blue sky. If this only translates into something 10 times better, that’s still huge.”

Even Elon Musk believes that supercapacitors would deliver the breakthrough that electric cars need, he said as much back in 2011.

“We believe that this is an extremely exciting and potentially game changing development,” said Ian Hamerton, who tested the technology at Bristol University’s Department of Aerospace Engineering.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Supercapacitors aren't new, and they are perpetually on the verge of that critical breakthrough, so don't get too excited. Leafs already use them - to provide power to the brakes under certain conditions.

·
Registered
263 Posts
As nice as the idea of an EV with 1,000 times the energy density of current vehicles, they won't go into mass production for a very long time. What happens if they do manage to come out with such a Supercapacitor? Would LG Chem buy the patent?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
The Leaf apparently doesn't use a supercapacitor. It uses an "ultracapacitor" that is located behind the rear seat but it's "super" small. Just from my searchings, not knowledge on this. Don't chew my head off lol

·
Registered
172 Posts
Gee, in the usual nomenclature "Ultra" is better than "Super" so now I'm confused. Does the Leaf reserve its best battery tech for powering the brakes if the main power fails? ;-)

·
Super Moderator
2,557 Posts
Oh gawd... here comes the EEStor swindle again. :roll eyes: Don't worry, super caps, or ultra caps, or super duper caps are coming to save the day!! When they have a working prototype powering a real car, doing what they claim it will do, verifiable by third parties, wake me up.

Let me guess, somebody somewhere is looking for venture capital to take it to the next level.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Let me guess, somebody somewhere is looking for venture capital to take it to the next level.
Lol, you're probably right. The guys working on this are University of Surrey researchers, guess their research budget was dried up. I'm hoping they get more financial support because it'll benefit us if it does work out and they do have a breakthrough. But I'm not holding my breath.

·
Super Moderator
2,557 Posts
Lol, you're probably right. The guys working on this are University of Surrey researchers, guess their research budget was dried up. I'm hoping they get more financial support because it'll benefit us if it does work out and they do have a breakthrough. But I'm not holding my breath.
The problem is, researchers and dreamers often turn venture capital into living and monthly paycheck. They can never quit even when they know their "break through" doesn't work. They literally won't quit until the last sucker has been found that will give them money, or they get sued. Some are clever enough to periodically discover break throughs for the break through. The magic of the internet, cheap video, computer graphics and animation has made the swindle a whole lot easier than the good ol' days.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Currently average supercapacitor energy density is around 5 watt-hours a kilogram, substantially denser than the 100 watt-hours of lithium ion batteries used in EVs.[/quote]

I must be missing something. How is 5 watt-hours a kilogram denser than 100 watt-hours a kilogram (of lithium ion batteries)?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I must be missing something. How is 5 watt-hours a kilogram denser than 100 watt-hours a kilogram (of lithium ion batteries)?
You took it out of context. :)

Currently average supercapacitor energy density is around 5 watt-hours a kilogram, substantially denser than the 100 watt-hours of lithium ion batteries used in EVs. The new polymer tech could boost the energy density even more, anywhere between 1,000 and 10,000 times is possible. That would bring EVs closer to the 2,500 watt-hours per kg of gasoline-powered cars.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The problem is, researchers and dreamers often turn venture capital into living and monthly paycheck. They can never quit even when they know their "break through" doesn't work. They literally won't quit until the last sucker has been found that will give them money, or they get sued. Some are clever enough to periodically discover break throughs for the break through. The magic of the internet, cheap video, computer graphics and animation has made the swindle a whole lot easier than the good ol' days.
To be fair though most VC's I have come across do proper analysis of what they're about to get into. Some try to get in really early on something that takes a while before it sky rockets and others need clear and current proof of short term gains and long term gains. Of course though there are the ones that just throw money at an idea.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
You took it out of context. :)
That first sentence expresses a complete thought, one that the second sentence doesn't change. It says that current supercapacitors are denser than Li-Ion batteries, yet uses numbers that squarely oppose that assertion. I'm sorry, but it's either a typo or really bad writing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts