Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello we live in western South Dakota i look at the possibility of buying a So Ca area Bolt via internet and flying out to drive it home...make an adventure out of it....we own a 2010 Prius my wife drives it almost exclusively...i drive a 2013 Cruze 1.4L with 6-speed manual.... a riot to drive fast and a impressive mileage maker when traveling. My only concern is a repeat of vandalism like our Prius endured...believe me, there are Prius haters out there driving those "coal- burning smokestack puking diesels" and they must have purposely put about 8 or 9 BIG door dents all around her car. She is a waitress who has a very good nature and a bunch of regular customers just love her...before that she worked at the hospital and got many kind words from patients. I can just vision another rash of damage to a new Bolt especially when i see how good it looks and how it would definitely stand out due to awesome styling.

·
Registered
508 Posts
The only downside I can think of is that all BEV's suffer when the temperature gets very low and that is certainly a possibility in South Dakota in the winter time. The Bolt does not seem to stick out as a different car and at least it is made by a REAL American company. The only people who have asked me about it are people were already aware to the Bolt development and wanted more information. Of course I live on the left coast in the Bay Area, so your (mileage) responses may vary.

·
Registered
121 Posts
That quite a trip! About 1500 miles? Have you looked into how you would do it, depending on where charging stations are, etc.? Seems like it would take forever with charging time.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Hello we live in western South Dakota i look at the possibility of buying a So Ca area Bolt via internet and flying out to drive it home...make an adventure out of it....we own a 2010 Prius my wife drives it almost exclusively...i drive a 2013 Cruze 1.4L with 6-speed manual.... a riot to drive fast and a impressive mileage maker when traveling. My only concern is a repeat of vandalism like our Prius endured...believe me, there are Prius haters out there driving those "coal- burning smokestack puking diesels" and they must have purposely put about 8 or 9 BIG door dents all around her car. She is a waitress who has a very good nature and a bunch of regular customers just love her...before that she worked at the hospital and got many kind words from patients. I can just vision another rash of damage to a new Bolt especially when i see how good it looks and how it would definitely stand out due to awesome styling.
Welcome to the forums! Sorry to hear about the vandalism to the Prius. That's horrible. Any idea why? Anyhow, I would not worry about the Bolt sticking out or attracting attention. It looks like an ordinary small hatchback, nobody knows what it is and it hasn't gained any particular reputation like the Prius has. Just don't buy the orange one and you'll likely go totally unnoticed... other than the other savvy EV fans in the area! ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeah that'll be a VERY challenging drive from Socal to S. Dakota with a car that needs to be recharged every 200 miles. You would probably be much better off with a Volt than a Bolt, the Bolt is not a good car for loooong highway stretches. At the very least you would want DC fast charging option but I still think the Volt would be a better option for someone needing to drive a few thousand miles in a short period and living in a place like S. Dakota.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Bolt's should be available in all states next month. They certainly can be ordered at your local dealer now, assuming they are certified to sell Volts and Bolts. If your local dealer isn't certified to sell Volts or Bolts, it should be fairly easy to find a dealer in the state who can sell you a Bolt.

·
Registered
328 Posts
(...)My only concern is a repeat of vandalism like our Prius endured...believe me, there are Prius haters out there driving those "coal- burning smokestack puking diesels" and they must have purposely put about 8 or 9 BIG door dents all around her car. (...)
This is crazy, dafuq is wrong with people! Hopefully the Bolt is an American car, not a Japanese one, so I'm sure that'll help, also a Bolt will be a 17% actually coal powered in South Dakota! (https://www.eia.gov/state/?sid=SD#tabs-4). Maybe you can get a sticker that said "American car powered by 17% coal and 83% local resources, 100% supporting local economy!"

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Not surprised that there are people like that out there, though it is unfortunate that it's prevalent enough to be a concern. I've seen plenty of people ding cars and then quickly speed away.
There's always the option of wrapping the Bolt with a protective film so it doesn't get scratched, but it costs a bit and won't protected against dings. Also an option to remove the EV portion of the badge.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Show a Bolt to 100 people... 99 wouldn't have a clue that it's electric.

Show a Prius to 100 people and 101 of them will tell you it's electric :D

No Prius hate for the Bolt... and it's a Chevy... how much more American could it get?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I'd be far more inclined to believe some racist prick dinged up the Prius ("Fk'in' Jap car - I'll show him!") than some anti-EV weirdo did the same.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
I'd be far more inclined to believe some racist prick dinged up the Prius ("Fk'in' Jap car - I'll show him!") than some anti-EV weirdo did the same.
I think if that were true then there would be more vandalized Toyota Tacomas, Honda Civics and Mazda 5's than Priuses. But somehow it's the Priuses that seem to attract the "deplorables".

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I've never seen a vandalized Prius. (But then, I live in the People's Republic of California'.) ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
My only concern is a repeat of vandalism like our Prius endured...believe me, there are Prius haters out there driving those "coal- burning smokestack puking diesels" and they must have purposely put about 8 or 9 BIG door dents all around her car. She is a waitress who has a very good nature and a bunch of regular customers just love her...before that she worked at the hospital and got many kind words from patients. I can just vision another rash of damage to a new Bolt especially when i see how good it looks and how it would definitely stand out due to awesome styling.
OP, let me help you out. When you get your new ride, you'll want to get a dashcam. It won't keep people from vandalizing your vehicle but it might help get restitution.

As stated above, the Bolt doesn't have the reputation - or stigma, if you will - of the Prius. The Chevy emblem may help as well. Good luck!

Joe

·
Registered
233 Posts
Friends had their Prius vandalized: someone took a dump on the hood. This happened in a Detroit suburb in the early 2000s, so that context was probably one of the more elevated Prius-hating ones you can find.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Friends had their Prius vandalized: someone took a dump on the hood. This happened in a Detroit suburb in the early 2000s, so that context was probably one of the more elevated Prius-hating ones you can find.
That is just so sad. What kind of threat does the Prius make to rile up these kinds of people so much? I get that folks in Detroit might resent people who don't buy American, but you don't hear about BMWs getting this kind of treatment.

The fact that someone would do this kind of thing says far, far worse things about his character than any kind of criticism one could level at a Prius owner, IMHO.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts