Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in MI and have had my Bolt EV for about 10 months (over 22k miles). It’s a very steep learning curve and this forum helped me out a lot before and after I made my Bolt purchase. I’m more than happy to ‘pay it forward’ so if any MI folks have any questions about owning an EV, please feel free to post here or email me at [email protected].

Dayle

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I will :)

I still, 12K miles into Boltery, haven't quite figured out how to work the HVAC doodad to my satisfaction, and also I forgot how to connect a new laptop to Bolt's WiFi

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was aiming this thread at potential buyers......folks who were EV curious. Folks who needed ‘pre purchase’ guidance. That said, I can try and address the questions you posed.

Q1: Check page 184 of the manual. The controls are very similar to any other recently made vehicle. The controls dictate what volume of air (at what temperature) gets directed where.

Q2: I’m not a computer guy and have not tied to connect my laptop to my Bolt. I have to assume that connecting to the Bolt’s WiFi is the same as connecting to any other WiFi system. I’d make sure the PC is looking for the correct name on the network. After that, your guess is as good as mine.

If you’re having rudimentary questions about your car after owning it for so long, I’d suggest going to the dealership and asking them for a refresher course on these two features.

Dayle

·
Registered
39 Posts
I need help Dayle.
Do you have any recommendations for dealerships to purchase the Bolt?

Do you have to get a specialized electrician to install the 240 Volt dedicated outlet in the garage?

Did you buy the aerovironment 240 volt cable that I see as an accessory for something like $550 ?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I need help Dayle.
Do you have any recommendations for dealerships to purchase the Bolt?
I bought mine in VA so I can’t offer any insight for a local dealership. My guess is aim for Feldman since they have the largest inventory.

Do you have to get a specialized electrician to install the 240 Volt dedicated outlet in the garage?
No specialization was required or sought.......I placed an ad on Craig’s list and got a few responses. Charger lines are a new concept here in MI and I wanted to make sure I’d find a good price while also balancing experience.

Did you buy the aerovironment 240 volt cable that I see as an accessory for something like $550 ?
I started a thread on this forum and asked about which home charger folks recommended. I ended up getting a JuiceBox and it’s worked great. I wanna say it was around $600. The cost of the line to connect it to the breaker box was also around $600 (installed). As luck would have it, my breaker box was as far from the garage as it could possibly be so I ended up paying for 50’ of 4ga wire.....ouch!

Dayle

·
Registered
39 Posts
I bought mine in VA so I can’t offer any insight for a local dealership. My guess is aim for Feldman since they have the largest inventory.

No specialization was required or sought.......I placed an ad on Craig’s list and got a few responses. Charger lines are a new concept here in MI and I wanted to make sure I’d find a good price while also balancing experience.

I started a thread on this forum and asked about which home charger folks recommended. I ended up getting a JuiceBox and it’s worked great. I wanna say it was around $600. The cost of the line to connect it to the breaker box was also around $600 (installed). As luck would have it, my breaker box was as far from the garage as it could possibly be so I ended up paying for 50’ of 4ga wire.....ouch!

Dayle
Thanks for that feedback. I still don't know if it makes sense for me to clunk down $40K for a car. It seems crazy. But I really like the idea of an electric car on so many levels.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that feedback. I still don't know if it makes sense for me to clunk down $40K for a car. It seems crazy. But I really like the idea of an electric car on so many levels.
Oh it makes sense.....I’ve got 24k miles on mine and the average cost per mile is 2.6 cents. Get a smart meter from your electric company and charge overnight when it’s cheap.....a full charge costs me $6. And that’ll take me 180 miles in the coldest weather to 300 in the summer.

An added benefit......it allows you to stand on the high moral ground.....because it’s the right thing to do.

Dayle

·
Registered
39 Posts
Oh it makes sense.....I’ve got 24k miles on mine and the average cost per mile is 2.6 cents. Get a smart meter from your electric company and charge overnight when it’s cheap.....a full charge costs me $6. And that’ll take me 180 miles in the coldest weather to 300 in the summer.

An added benefit......it allows you to stand on the high moral ground.....because it’s the right thing to do.

Dayle
Thanks Dayle
I sent you an email too by the way

·
Registered
314 Posts
I was thinking of the Aerovironment one, but my examination of reviews etc., led me to choose between the JuiceBox and Clipper Creek. I ended up purchasing the Clipper Creek, but my electrician friend will not get around to the install in the garage for a couple weeks. Aside: I am thinking of hanging it on the wall horizontally, which is not its natural orientation, but it will fit well that way. Surely the orientation does not matter?

·
Registered
366 Posts
I agree, rational analysis shows it's crazy to clunk down $40K on a car when you could get a Cruze for half the money. Especially in Michigan were everything is stacked against EV ownership, cold weather, virtually no DCFC facilities, no state rebates, and a registration surcharge. But I did it anyway, actually, $30900 after tax credit. I like the Bolt and that's that.

Dealer - Garber Chevrolet in Midland. EV savvy and they matched the lowest price I could find in the Midwest, hundreds of miles away.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi folks,

We're thinking of looking at the Bolt in NC. We have owned a LEAF for the past two years and loved it, but I got in a wreck last week and it's totaled. Luckily no one was hurt, but we're out of a car now. (BTW it was totally not my fault — guy in a pickup at a stop sign pulled out in front of me going 55 down a highway & got cited for failure to yield.)

Can anyone compare the Bolt to the LEAF? We had a 2013 LEAF that we bought used w/ 8000 miles on it and I put another 45000 on it. We have a home charger (Blink) and that has worked great for us. I would love something with a longer range. We did begin to see a little battery degradation on the Leaf, but it wasn't bad for being a 4/5 yr old car.

I am wondering what y'all can tell me about the charging infrastructure with Bolts? We mostly charged the LEAF at home, but when on the road we would usually find a Nissan dealer and do the free Level 3 CHAdeMO fast charge and then be off and going in 30 min or less. We have Chargepoint cards, but rarely used them.

How often and where do you guys charge away from home?

Any former LEAF owners out there who can compare the LEAF and the Bolt?

Thanks for any insight!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I won't even be able to take advantage of most of the tax credit. I do have some business use of the car and I will be able to convert a portion of the tax credit into a general business tax credit that can carryforward.

·
Registered
173 Posts

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
I agree, rational analysis shows it's crazy to clunk down $40K on a car when you could get a Cruze for half the money. ... But I did it anyway, actually, $30900 after tax credit. I like the Bolt and that's that.
Yeah, I had to go against a lifetime of sensible spending habits to buy the Bolt, but I did and I have no regrets. I enjoy every drive and I'm driving a lot more now that I don't feel guilty about spewing pollution and CO2 everywhere I go (it's great to live in a province with hydroelectric power!).

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would argue that a Bolt is a much better car than the Leaf, purely due to thermal battery management. Just charging the battery below 32F air/battery temp is very damaging to the Leaf battery. When the Bolt is plugged in below 32F it directs power towards battery heating so the cells are not damaged beyond repair.

I would never consider a Leaf (in Michigan) until their 2019 model that has battery thermal conditioning. I would still wait at least 6 months into that production year to prove that the the battery properly conditions itself in winter environments.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Michigan here. I bought in June, before the nationwide rollout and have almost 11k on it in 10 months. Love it. Silent and smooth. Easiest car to drive since my 77 Continental.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts