Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Cool beans. Perhaps they could mod it further to reflect "electrons delivered" instead of "gallons delivered." :geek:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Cool beans. Perhaps they could mod it further to reflect "electrons delivered" instead of "gallons delivered." :geek:
Google tells me that 60 kWh is 1.3 481 661 048 144 602e+27 electron volts (eV), so to borrow a unit conversion from Chemsitry, that's 2238.7 mol of eV :unsure:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Has anyone gone even further back in retro charging? I am attracted to steampunking an existing 240V EVSE into something that was common in 1915, when electric vehicles comprised 38% of all vehicles in the US.

Imagine a J1772 cable coming out of this

The original showered the garage with a violet glow from the mercury arc rectifier behind the screen; you could do that just with a string of LEDs. Hiding a modern EVSE box behind this panel would not be a problem.

For more interesting reading about driving an EV between 1915-1917, Google has digitized Electric Vehicles magazine. It's a fun read...

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I am attracted to steampunking an existing 240V EVSE into something that was common in 1915, when electric vehicles comprised 38% of all vehicles in the US.
Somewhere along the way I picked up a little replica placard of a sign which I take to have been installed in the first buildings with electric lights:

This room is equipped with Edison Electric Light

Do not attempt to light with match. Simply turn key on wall by door.
-----------------
The use of Electricity for lighting is in no way harmful to health, nor does it affect the soundness of sleep

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Here's one that I installed at my office a few years ago when I drove a Leaf. I'm in the process of installing 3 more dual stations. One is a duplicate of this on the other side of the parking lot (see attached) with an alternate color scheme and 2 pedestal units for a fleet of trucks in our future.
There are two retractable reels inside the pump.
Electric Pump 1.jpg 20200114_162722.jpg

·
Registered
53 Posts
Not really a pedestal, but I do have one of the original Kickstarter juice box that was housed inside a large AA battery case. Put some copper tape on it and it looks like a giant AA battery.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Has anyone gone even further back in retro charging? I am attracted to steampunking an existing 240V EVSE into something that was common in 1915, when electric vehicles comprised 38% of all vehicles in the US.

Imagine a J1772 cable coming out of this

View attachment 28586

The original showered the garage with a violet glow from the mercury arc rectifier behind the screen; you could do that just with a string of LEDs. Hiding a modern EVSE box behind this panel would not be a problem.

For more interesting reading about driving an EV between 1915-1917, Google has digitized Electric Vehicles magazine. It's a fun read...
I like that one a lot! Adding the violet glow via a combination of LED's and a black light would be cool :D

At first I thought the link you provided only lead to the 1917 edition of the EV magazine, but then I saw that the 1915 and 1916 editions are also available there via separate downloads... I now have all of them, thanks :)

Later,

Keith

1 - 10 of 10 Posts