Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 678 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to thank all forum members (yes, even you VTbolt :)) for welcome interaction especially recently and wish all fellow and future Boltians and your family, friends and neighbors well. Stay safe out there...

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Not specifically related to the Corona Virus but, the last time I had a car that required weekly fill-ups (2012-2014), once at the gas station- I always put a blue disposable glove on my right hand and made sure I only touched the PIN pad and gas pump/handle with the gloved hand. After pumping, I would peel it off from the cuff (that part of the glove didn't touch anything at the gas station) and drop it in the open waste can next to every pump island without touching the waste can. Not that I have any hard proof, but it did seem that the number of colds I got after using the glove was reduced dramatically.

Not that I don't miss going to germ infested gas stations since 2014, but I'm especially grateful that I don't have to go to them now!

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
I use my left hand in public places knowing that I'll subconsciously touch my face, eat, etc with my right. I'll also grab door handles in the areas least likely to be touched, or use the left door instead of the right. Little things like that. Beyond that I don't worry much about it.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I use my left hand in public places knowing that I'll subconsciously touch my face, eat, etc with my right. I'll also grab door handles in the areas least likely to be touched, or use the left door instead of the right. Little things like that. Beyond that I don't worry much about it.
In the middle east, you would use your left hand to wipe your butt and your right hand to greet people. Similar concept.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
And in East Asia, you would just bow (instead of shaking hands and passing germs...)

Reactions: Killravyn

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Of course, because it produced a better result. However, it required the tools of science to better explain how this could be.

... you were saying? Maybe not so unscientific after all. It's amazing what civilizations can accomplish when not stuck in continual war... reason China was able to have a 5000 year history.

BTW, the Taliban gave their captives tooth brush. US did not...

·
Registered
558 Posts
Not specifically related to the Corona Virus but, the last time I had a car that required weekly fill-ups (2012-2014), once at the gas station- I always put a blue disposable glove on my right hand and made sure I only touched the PIN pad and gas pump/handle with the gloved hand. After pumping, I would peel it off from the cuff (that part of the glove didn't touch anything at the gas station) and drop it in the open waste can next to every pump island without touching the waste can. Not that I have any hard proof, but it did seem that the number of colds I got after using the glove was reduced dramatically.

Not that I don't miss going to germ infested gas stations since 2014, but I'm especially grateful that I don't have to go to them now!
Do you have the same routine at public charging stations?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Interesting how cultural and religious rituals incorporated clean practices long before germ theory.
Maybe they didn't associate it with health, but just didn't feel like eating s*** from their smelly fingers. It's also bad manners to rest your right hand in your lap (read: crotch) while at the table.

·
Registered
99 Posts

... you were saying? Maybe not so unscientific after all. It's amazing what civilizations can accomplish when not stuck in continual war... reason China was able to have a 5000 year history.

BTW, the Taliban gave their captives tooth brush. US did not...
Yes, science has been a continuum of progress since at least the ancient Greeks (which every civilization since owes a huge debt to). Not denegrating any society that has advanced science through time. To the contrary! But to my point, science still provides a better way to explain why such practices are more beneficial.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
... BTW, the Taliban gave their captives tooth brush. US did not...
While it’s certainly laudable that the Taliban provided toothbrushes to captives, the more important question is whether captives brushed their teeth before or after they were tortured by the Taliban:

Also, it’s heartening to know that those who were murdered by the Taliban weren’t also suffering from poor oral hygiene.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I've never really been that afraid of germs, but I've thought about 'gloving up' when I used to have to pump gas because of the more than 38 carcinogens found in gasoline.
I would not even bother washing my hands after handling a gas pump in the old days (maybe I should have for both chemical / carcinogen reasons and germ reasons?). I wouldn't worry about the cancer problems with gas unless You plan on bathing in and drinking the stuff. If that is the situation - I would think You would have some definitive problems!

·
Registered
628 Posts
The importance of hand washing was known by the Jewish people thousands of years ago. The book of Mark states: "For the Pharisees and all the Jews do not eat unless they wash their hands, holding to the tradition of the elders, and when they come from the marketplace, they do not eat unless they wash." Great advice from a very old tradition.

1 - 20 of 678 Posts