Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

181 - 200 of 228 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Saying you're not worried is like advocating that drunk driving shouldn't be an issue because most drunk drivers don't cause accidents or loss of life, which may very well be true. We now know who the regular drunk drivers are on this forum.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Anyway, if one points out the truth, that more than an order of magnitude will die from seasonal flu than CoVID, it is not to downplay CoVID. The comparison takes into account the effects of our response to it.
Are you really trying to claim here that fewer people will die from COVID19 this year than from the seasonal flu? Because if you are then you are either in abject denial of reality or you're getting your information from people who are. You need to wake up and look around. You're playing with your life and with other people's lives.

It's true that the death toll of the flu flies under the radar even though it kills a LOT of people every year, as I recall it averages around 100/day in the US. But we're already seeing 50 US deaths/day from COVID19, and things are just getting started. The US is about 2 weeks behind Italy which is already approaching 1,000 deaths/day despite having only 1/6th the population.

So no, the flu is not worse than COVID19. The tsunami won't miss you just because it hasn't hit yet and you refuse to look out at the ocean to see it coming despite everyone around you shouting and pointing.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
So I gotta ask - is there actually no need to wipe with a bidet? How do you dry yourself after the splash treatment?
It's got a warm air blower after the little warm water spray wand retracts. At the risk of being impolite...you'll still want to "check" for thoroughness with a few squares of TP. It's reduced my TP use by about 90%. My wife's somewhat less, about 80%. Takes a bit of getting used to, but we're sold.

Talk about "Off Topic"!

·
Registered
163 Posts
You have no idea if an order of magnitude will die from the seasonal flu rather than Covid-19.
To repeat, CV virus is winding down in China with 27x as many having died from seasonal flu. My only guess is that it'll be similar here thanks to states' efforts. Currently we're at 92x (1600x for heart disease, 1500x for cancer).

Seems to me you are just repeating the points of the Fox TV "shitshows" you so love.
I don't watch FOX or CNN, although I listen to both on Alexa news briefing to get a balanced view.

And if you don't like big government get the f*ck off of my Federal highway system.
The Interstate Highway System actually is the federal government's responsibility (interstate). It was built back when the government was much smaller, and is maintained largely by fuel taxes.

it is the corrupt politicians that the ignorant people in the square states keep electing because of our electoral college system.
You're upset because the densely populated liberal cities don't get to step all over the rest of the country, something which was specifically foreseen by the founding fathers. It hurts so much, and is so divisive, only because the federal government has grown too large and is stepping all over controversial state issues.

My girlfriend has COPD due to no fault of her own. She can get pneumonia just by spelling the word. Getting this virus would be a death sentence for her, so you can take all your fancy curves, logistical or bell and put them where the bidet cleans. She is my world and not some point on your curve, get it?
Sorry to hear that. It's tear-jerking and upvote-inducing, but anecdotal. You know the drill how to protect her.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
OK, thanks. So I guess that means when you install it there's also some electrical work involved?
Yes. I installed a GFCI outlet on the wall behind the toilet during my major remodel three years ago for just this potential application. The installation instructions for my Ove Irenne bidet toilet (purchased through Costco, with free shipping) specify a dedicated 15A GFCI outlet. I have a shared 20A circuit on mine. I just asked my wife to avoid blow drying or straightening her hair while using the toilet. ;)

·
Registered
98 Posts
You're upset because the densely populated liberal cities don't get to step all over the rest of the country, something which was specifically foreseen by the founding fathers.
Okay, for one, if you think that's what the founders had in mind when they created the EC, you seriously need to go back and take American History and Civics again.

For another, by "liberal cities" you mean "smarter than me". So by your "logic" people who live in a county in Wyoming with a population of 3000 people should have more voting power than someone who lives in San Antonio, or New York, or Portland, or Tucson? Care to explain how that works to those of us who live in those places?

I generally as a rule don't argue with stupid people, but I'll make an exception in your case, because I truly want to hear your reasoning here.

·
Registered
98 Posts
To repeat, CV virus is winding down in China with 27x as many having died from seasonal flu. My only guess is that it'll be similar here thanks to states' efforts. Currently we're at 92x (1600x for heart disease, 1500x for cancer).
So where is your medical degree from? You're obviously a public health expert. I'm an anesthesiologist and a former ICU nurse, and I can assure you that this is NOT in ANY way akin to the flu. COVID-19 is winding down in China because China is an authoritarian police state that can force its citizens to do anything the government wants them to. Lots more people die from car crashes than from the flu or COVID-19 too, but that's about as relevant as the color of the trim on my house to this conversation. Look up "false equivalence" and get back to us. If coronavirus were just a different kind of flu, I'm pretty sure that tens of thousands of public health experts who are a LOT smarter than you (obviously) wouldn't be as worried about it as they are, and as you should be. Blow it off at your peril. Seasonal flu doesn't generally result in Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome. COVID-19 usually does. And having seen more than a few patients die from ARDS, I can tell you there is nothing pleasant about it.

So try getting some actual factual information before spouting off, okay Slick?

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Ignorance cuts across all humanity, not through particular political parties. How 'bout we avoid the cheap shots, ad hominems, appeals to authority, straw men, etc...

Political discussion is unavoidable because we have different values, but presenting arguments in bad faith or simply slandering IS avoidable.

Conservative minded people need liberal thinkers to attend to those at the bottom of hierarchies and to explore new ideas and ways of doing things. Liberals need conservatives to conserve those ways of doing things that work well, to attend to the hierarchy, and maintain a certain minimum level of order. You change too many things too quickly, and chaos ensues. Stick to a regimented way of doing things too long, and you'll fail to adapt to a changing world. Both personality types are absolutely necessary, and it was no coincidence nature has provided both.

My Coronavirus update is the owner of my wife's family practice appears to have laid off 3 nurse practitioners and my wife volunteered to go to half-time. One of the two urgent care clinics will be temporarily closed, if not closed forever.

Most patients are being evaluated over the phone which are reimbursed by insurance at $20, or nowhere near a break even cost. Well patient visits (check ups) are done in the morning, and symptomatic patients requiring further examination are scheduled in the afternoon.

Overall business is at 1/3rd of normal.

A work email I received says the shelter in place order has/will be issued for Oregon, though I don't know when that goes into effect and I haven't seen anything via Google search.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Lots of talk on the virus and hardly anything on the Russia/Saudi Oil War. Gas prices are down to $1.61 here in Flint Mi. and now were under a stay-at-home statewide alert. One of my friends totaled his vehicle and cried at the "cheap" (his words) gas he couldn't enjoy. Of course with Hurricane season coming up...…….

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Lots of talk on the virus and hardly anything on the Russia/Saudi Oil War. Gas prices are down to $1.61 here in Flint Mi. and now were under a stay-at-home statewide alert. One of my friends totaled his vehicle and cried at the "cheap" (his words) gas he couldn't enjoy. Of course with Hurricane season coming up...…….
Doesn't matter how cheap, I am glad I don't have to go to the gas station and touch the pump and machine. ;)

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
According to Wikipedia, there are now over 4,000 confirmed cases in New York state, and the average growth rate in new cases over the past few days has exceeded 50%. At that growth rate, they'll have over a million confirmed cases 14 days from now. And that's the just confirmed cases.
I wrote this 4 days ago, and at that 50% growth rate we'd be due for 20,250 confirmed cases today. Wikipedia says there are 20,875 cases. The case load has quadrupled in 4 days - this is the terror of exponential spread of a pathogen.

The (marginally) good news is that much of the growth occurred on just the first day (perhaps due to a lot of new testing) and the average rate of growth in new case numbers is "only" around 35% for the past 3 days. Starting at the ~20,000 cases today, a 35% new case growth rate would put us at around 275,000 cases at the end of 10 more days (2 weeks from the above post). Better than a million, but still very bad.

It's interesting to note that Washington State, which used to be the home of the largest outbreak, has a rate of growth in new case numbers of only around 14% in the past 3 days, which is down a fair bit from a week or two ago. They've shown that strong measures can slow the spread of the disease. "Slow" is a relative term - the spread of the disease is still accelerating in Washington, but not as fast as it is in New York.

It takes a week or two for new isolation measures to show up in the rate of new confirmed cases because it takes that long for people who are newly infected to start to have symptoms. Let's hope that the measures New York has taken in the past few days start to slow down the rate of increase in new cases very soon.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
This week's bump is from expanded testing. However, NY just instituted no testing unless being admitted to the hospital, so we can expect case numbers to 'slow' down this week or next.

Death rate continuing at 30%+ daily. Now at 553. Run the number if this keeps up for next 7 and 14 days... Yikes! Good news is that several states are now on lockdown except for essential services, so one can hope it's not too late.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Okay, for one, if you think that's what the founders had in mind when they created the EC, you seriously need to go back and take American History and Civics again.
It was explained in Federalist No 10. The intention is to assign control both by population and by state. I'm much more comfortable with it being decided that way, rather than by pure popular vote like American Idol. Abraham Lincoln won on EC majority with 39.8% of the national popular vote.

For another, by "liberal cities" you mean "smarter than me".
Large cities are generally more liberal and populous. If we limited the role of federal government, then progressive states would get more things their way. Instead, they want big government forcing their way on all states.

So by your "logic" people who live in a county in Wyoming with a population of 3000 people should have more voting power than someone who lives in San Antonio, or New York, or Portland, or Tucson?
Yes, by the "logic" of Madison, people in Wyoming have slightly more sway individually because their ratio of senators to representatives is higher. Would you also like to get rid of the Senate and go to mob rule? I'm relieved that all states including Wyoming have a voice.

I generally as a rule don't argue with stupid people, but I'll make an exception in your case
If you have to resort to ad hominem attacks, you must cede the argument.

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
Wikipedia may be OK, but anybody including Steve Bannon can put info on there, I believe.

I prefer more official sites for this info. This site has source links to each state website.

Here is an international overview.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The deaths in King County, WA (2 million people) this year from the seasonal flu so far is 30 while the COVID-19 deaths were 87 as of today but it rises every day and the flu had a 3 month head start. And deaths in the nursing homes from the new virus would be extreme if they weren't stopping family from visiting and making staff suit up a lot more than before. If you average in places where there is no COVID-19, like people tend to do, then statistically it looks a lot less dangerous than it really is. When it comes to your town, you will see, unless we can really find an effective treatment before it gets to your town. Another argument is that it only kills old people, so who cares, but it also sends a lot of not quite so old people into the ICU for a couple weeks of ventilation and then who knows how many months of rehab if they ever really feel the same again. Personally, I'm putting some effort into not getting it regardless of what the Governor does and most people around here are thinking like me, I think.

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
OK. I said I am comforted by dark humor. I thought of this five minutes ago. I can't be the only person to think of it. How many minutes before Trump tweets it?

"Greta Flu? No. She took the train."

181 - 200 of 228 Posts