Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

201 - 220 of 228 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Would you also like to get rid of the Senate and go to mob rule?
By "mob rule" you mean, of course, majority rule.

I love this argument. "We shouldn't have to be ruled by the 'liberal coastal elites' {aka people smarter than me} so we need the electoral college to ensure that our votes count more than theirs do".

If the majority ruled in this country, the Republican Party would be a historical footnote. If the principle of one person, one vote were adhered to - like it is in every other developed nation on the planet - then we would truly have majority rule. But 'Murca is exceptional, right? It is exceptionally stupid.

Be all of that as it may, conservatism in America is on the way out. You can't stem the tide of demographics. Enjoy it while you have it.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
If the majority ruled in this country, the Republican Party would be a historical footnote. If the principle of one person, one vote were adhered to - like it is in every other developed nation on the planet - then we would truly have majority rule. But 'Murca is exceptional, right? It is exceptionally stupid.

Be all of that as it may, conservatism in America is on the way out. You can't stem the tide of demographics. Enjoy it while you have it.
If we went to popular vote, dems would probably win the next couple elections and then things would reshuffle to balance back out. It kinda doesn't matter either way.

Had you read my earlier post, you'd have seen my explanation of how conservatism and liberalism are not optional; they are essential. Neither are going anywhere ever, even as they make minor adjustments around some center. The further from that center people find themselves, the more likely they are wrong (or less right).

·
Registered
51 Posts
You can get a bidet at Costco for I think like $189. They should put them next to the TP. I bought one 8 years ago (after reading Salmon Rushdie's
"Satanic Verses") at a bidet place for ~$600 and now have them on all my toilets. It's a big improvement in both speed and effectiveness of the procedures. You don't really need toilet paper as there's a blow dryer down there to dry you off but it takes a few minutes. You could dry with a clean cloth and then wash them with the laundry. On a trip I took to Turkey the guide was telling us we weren't supposed to put the toilet paper in the toilet because the pipes weren't big enough for that. Instead we were to toss the paper in a wastepaper basket there for the purpose. That only works because all of their toilets have a bidet function, though they're not automatic and heated like the seats we can get here. For a lot of the ladies on the tour, that was culture shock. But in the end, they were all converts.

·
Registered
51 Posts
On a different note, 7 more people were reported to have died today in King County WA (Seattle) of Covid-19 (none from the flu), by the Health Department. The pop. of King County is 2 million or about 1/150th of the US pop., so that is equivalent to more than 1000 people in the whole US. In my opinion the main reason it's so bad in King County is because the virus has been there longer than anywhere else in the country and more people have been battling it for weeks. Looking forward to these numbers dropping soon.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
You can get a bidet at Costco for I think like $189. They should put them next to the TP. I bought one 8 years ago (after reading Salmon Rushdie's
"Satanic Verses") at a bidet place for ~$600 and now have them on all my toilets. It's a big improvement in both speed and effectiveness of the procedures. You don't really need toilet paper as there's a blow dryer down there to dry you off but it takes a few minutes. You could dry with a clean cloth and then wash them with the laundry. On a trip I took to Turkey the guide was telling us we weren't supposed to put the toilet paper in the toilet because the pipes weren't big enough for that. Instead we were to toss the paper in a wastepaper basket there for the purpose. That only works because all of their toilets have a bidet function, though they're not automatic and heated like the seats we can get here. For a lot of the ladies on the tour, that was culture shock. But in the end, they were all converts.
Hm... looks like no longe r$189.

BTW, Brondell?!? Does it squirt water with electrolyte?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I saw one at our store and that's just the price I remember. I wasn't looking for one so I could be mistaken about the price. If you can count on them to work for 10+ years or so, then that price isn't too bad but that's a big if. My oldest one is 8 years old and so far so good, but it seems like a contraption that could easily fail with seals and parts moving in water.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Yeah, there are $30 bidets out there that I guess may not last a year.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The cheaper ones aren't electric and don't heat the water and don't have a moving nozzle so I think they're reliable enough, there just not nearly as nice to use. If you live someplace where the water never gets very cold, they wouldn't be too bad.

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
OK. I just listened to an interview, on BBC, with an American epidemiologist who survived Ebola.

He said CORVID-19 is actually a more dangerous/perfect virus for killing large numbers of people, and overwhelming medical facilities. It prays on our cognitive weak spots...the way we assess danger. I am trying to find a link to the interview. feel free to post it, it you can.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Which means the 0.2% mortality rate for people under 50 could actually be 0.02%.
Actually, the mortality rate among known cases is between 3 and 10% not 0.2%, so even if the infection rate is 5X the known rate, we are still talking about MILLIONS of American dead if it infects 40-70% of the population if we don't shut it down now, including a large fraction of our doctors and nurses. If we overreact, we will never know by how much, but if we under-react, we will know that for sure. Contrary to some claims, we are actually on a worse trajectory than Italy was two weeks ago in terms of infection rates. The economy will bounce back quicker if we hunker down now rather than continue with business as usual. I'm not happy about it, having lost about $9K in forfeited reservations (3 cross-country trips in the Bolt, a long trip to Africa, and a cross-country train trip to my niece's wedding) that I cannot afford to pay for again. Moreover, my wife, 3 cats and I are locked down in a basement room with no kitchen to cook in as our main floor was under reconstruction when this shelter in place order hit. No idea when we'll be able to move back into the rest of our house. I know that a lot of people have it a lot worse than we do, but everyone is making sacrifices for the good of all.

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
The Commonwealth attorney, and our sheriff put out a public service announcement which included scams, and this gem.

"We are aware of reports that some hate groups have encouraged the use of COVID-19 as a weapon."

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
OK...positive. China has a population 4.3 times that of the US. Due to draconian measures they kept the number of confirmed cases to 80,026 at 40 days in. We are at 60,063 cases at 40 days in. That said, they were at 2,912 deaths, and we are at 819. We could be there in 3-4 days. These are the things we take comfort in now.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think that all health systems are learning and adapting and even though they don't have the equipment they need, they're still far from helpless. China was first so naturally they were the most flat footed but their authoritarian system came to their rescue. The nursing home in Kirkland was clueless and almost a third of their patients have died so far, but the other nursing homes in the area have not been devastated like this because they've changed their procedures. It's not the flu but it's not the middle ages and the black death either. The Koreans sure did well. My Bolt is 57% Korean made according to the sticker, which is part of the reason I bought it since I've been driving Japanese and Korean vehicles for awhile and admire their design and reliability. Nothing against Americans, we can build as good a product as anyone if given the chance.

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
Just like 9/11, Americans have had a false belief that bad stuff can't happen here. We made fun of Asians for decades for wearing masks. This will change too.

If you end up locked down at home sick, or taking care of someone who is, this could come in handy.

They also suggest a face shield. Some health workers are making them from two liter bottles. I made a full face shield from one for my bicycle helmet many years ago. It worked great for keeping cold wind off my face in winter.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
My optimism is tempered by the fact that a shelter in place directive was just issued for Oregon. That means we won't see those who were exposed up until yesterday hit the hospitals for 1-2 weeks. There's some doubt too that China is accurately reporting their situation. Finally, we're possibly facing waves of infection rather than a single bell curve where we reach a peak and then come back down. In other words, we might see cases peak in 2 weeks when the mitigation strategy efforts become apparent, then see relaxed controls followed 2 weeks later by a spike in cases again.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've been thinking that I might start wearing an N95 at airports and on planes. I don't really mind too much getting a cold at home and I generally think it's probably inevitable anyway, but I hate having a cold when I travel. It might make sense to require everyone at airports and on planes to wear them because they're the Grand Central Stations of pathogens and if we all wore masks on planes it might reduce the cold and flu season and it probably would have slowed down Covid-19 as well.

201 - 220 of 228 Posts