Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

621 - 636 of 636 Posts

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Dr. Campbell has been suggesting black people are impacted more due to vitamin D deficiency (dark skin inhibits vitamin D synthesis). His hypothesis is that having sufficient vitamin D gives a person a leg up on being capable of surviving the disease. Since it's summer for most people in the world, the hypothesis that vitamin D boosts the immune systems ability to fight the disease makes sense considering the increased spread and decreased mortality. If we begin to see increasing mortality in Australia and New Zealand that would further support the hypothesis. Of course, one could supplement with vitamin D as a precaution rather than spend time in the sun.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
The low hanging fruit gets hit first.

Virginia clusters

Dillwyn Correctional Center — Dillwyn, Va. 359

Greensville Correctional Center — Jarratt, Va. 309

Haynesville Correctional Center — Haynesville, Va. 265

Galax, Va. 263

Tyson Foods poultry processing facility — Temperanceville, Va. 257

State Farm Correctional Complex — State Farm, Va. 188

Buckingham Correctional Center — Dillwyn, Va. 174

Emporia, Va. 141

Accordius Health nursing home — Harrisonburg, Va. 106

Deerfield Correctional Center — Capron, Va. 90

Sussex II State Prison — Waverly, Va. 86

Riverside Regional Jail — Prince George, Va. 83

Hampton Roads Regional Jail — Portsmouth, Va. 74

Virginia Correctional Center for Women — Goochland, Va. 74

Central Virginia Correctional Unit #13 — Chesterfield, Va. 60

Skyview Springs Rehab and Nursing Center — Luray, Va. 59

Norfolk City Jail — Norfolk, Va. 55

2,643 is only 4.8% of Virginia active cases

Virginia never bottomed out cases likes some states, and some countries. We did go down somewhat,and then leveled off about three weeks ago. Closer examination showed an overall drop in new cases, but a sharp climb in the eastern shore area...summer tourists.. Deaths have started climbing again in the last week and a half. I assume a month from now we will see more stories about how partying at the shore has lead to a bunch of serious cases, and deaths....sex, booze/drugs, rock 'n' roll, and pandemics don't play well together. Mostly, it won't be the young revelers, but the folks they stumble into who will pay the price.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
According to CDC data (below), COVID is basically over in terms of death rate.
Looking at new deaths/new cases for yesterday 07/04, and today 07/05

254/45,182 = 0.56%

213/36,454 = 0.58%

[edit]
07/06. and 07/08

379/50,584 = 0.75%

994/55,442 = 1.79%

This is only a snapshot, and the new cases and new deaths are obviously not the same group of people because of the weeks to reach an outcome. But it does give some hope that the ultimate death rate will be close to that of Iceland. Whether that is low enough for our economy to go back anywhere close to its previous level is a good question.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
New Mexico started issuing a $100 fine for not wearing a mask. Finally, all these 20 somethings are wearing a mask.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
New Mexico started issuing a $100 fine for not wearing a mask. Finally, all these 20 somethings are wearing a mask.
The those who detest government interventions are just making it worse for themselves by not doing the sensible thing. If most people wore masks voluntarily like good civic-minded citizens then there wouldn't be a need to mandate them.

Masks were never mandated here in British Columbia until we reopened, and now they're just required for certain personal services business such as barbers, hair salons, etc. So far we're doing pretty well (fingers crossed...).

It's just as Tom Hanks said: "The idea of doing one’s part should be so simple: wear a mask, social distance, wash your hands. That alone means you are contributing to the betterment of your house, your work, your town, your society as a whole. And it's such a small thing ... it's a mystery to me somehow that has been wiped out of what should be ingrained in the behavior of us all.”

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
And it's such a small thing ... it's a mystery to me somehow that has been wiped out of what should be ingrained in the behavior of us all.”
Starting around 1980, I stopped seeing people referred to as citizens, but rather as consumers.

"There is no such thing as society"

Margaret Thatcher, 1987

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
As if we weren't stupid enough.

“Whether we will see an epidemic on a large scale of brain damage linked to the pandemic – perhaps similar to the encephalitis lethargica outbreak in the 1920s and 1930s after the 1918 influenza pandemic – remains to be seen,”

·
Registered
21 Posts
The those who detest government interventions are just making it worse for themselves by not doing the sensible thing. If most people wore masks voluntarily like good civic-minded citizens then there wouldn't be a need to mandate them.

Masks were never mandated here in British Columbia until we reopened, and now they're just required for certain personal services business such as barbers, hair salons, etc. So far we're doing pretty well (fingers crossed...).

It's just as Tom Hanks said: "The idea of doing one’s part should be so simple: wear a mask, social distance, wash your hands. That alone means you are contributing to the betterment of your house, your work, your town, your society as a whole. And it's such a small thing ... it's a mystery to me somehow that has been wiped out of what should be ingrained in the behavior of us all.”
Problem is that mask mandates like in California where there are no standards for the masks used are not showing results.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
WHO: Indoor airborne spread of coronavirus possible
Airborne spread “particularly in specific indoor locations, such as crowded and inadequately ventilated spaces over a prolonged period of time with infected persons cannot be ruled out,” WHO said.
Well, duh. Surely this is just common sense. Again, I use the "smoke test" as an analogy - when you're sharing a room with a smoker the smaller the space and the longer you spend in it, the more obnoxious it becomes. This is exactly why I always wear a mask indoors when I'm away from home.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
68,100 new cases across the US on Friday July 10.

And pretty much right on schedule 3 weeks after the upturn in cases, the first week of increased deaths.

Past experience tells us there are another few weeks of increasing caseloads already in the pipeline even if renewed restrictions manage to stem the spread after that. Which means that deaths are likely to continue climbing for another month or two.

Let's hope that the big epicenters of the first wave of fatalities (prisons, meat packing plants, and especially nursing homes) have learned how to avoid the worst of their mistakes so that the death toll doesn't end up hitting new daily records the way the case counts are.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
He won't make that mistake again.

"I think I made a mistake. I thought this was a hoax, but it's not."

"Those were the final words of a 30-year-old patient who died at Methodist Hospital in San Antonio, Texas, this week after attending a so-called "COVID party," according to the hospital's chief medical officer."

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ya, those covid parties are really stupid.
On a smarter note a new Osterholm update.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
On a smarter note a new Osterholm update.
Pretty sad. The qualities/behaviors he lists, needed for a good outcome in the US, are AWOL.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
"I think I made a mistake. I thought this was a hoax, but it's not."
Sadly, COVID deniers will probably declare this too as a hoax...

These are the same people who would stand on a beach after an earthquake and declare that there's nothing to worry about because the water is receding.

621 - 636 of 636 Posts