Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

781 - 800 of 1085 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts

The most promising treatments for COVID-19 so far was a decent piece from 60 Minutes over the weekend. It’s about 13 minutes long. It’s free to watch now but I believe will eventually end up behind the CBS All Access paywall. They spoke to numerous doctors including
If you don’t know the name David Ho, your memory is too short. Dr. Ho led the team in the 1990's that created the cocktail of drugs that made HIV/AIDS survivable even though there’s still no vaccine.

His lab at Columbia University was still focused on HIV/AIDS until COVID-19.
Was interesting to hear this answer:
Dr. Ho told us he has never seen the world’s labs dedicate themselves to a single disease as they have for COVID-19. But every doctor we asked answered this question the same way.
Scott Pelley: Would you rather have a mask or a vaccine?
Dr. Christina Brennan: A mask.
Scott Pelley: All this attention is being paid to vaccines. Billions of dollars invested. And you’d rather have a mask. Why?
Dr. Christina Brennan: With our social distancing, wearing of the mask, the data’s already showing that it’s been effective. It’s, you know, cost savings, and it’s effective. And it can go a long way.
For a year or two the mask will likely be the most effective tool. There’s no cure, and no way to know whether the president was helped by Remdesivir or monoclonal antibodies or steroids.

·
Registered
116 Posts
There are probably folks on this forum who think they are going up in the Rapture, so it doesn't matter what they do. How is that different?
You are kinda doing a strawman with the "Trashing the planet"/"Rapture" arguments, no one here (in this thread) has used those as defences (that I have seen) for trying to leave the planet. Even redpoint5's point was that with advancement there will be sacrifices which is more of a realization and acceptance and less of a "drill baby drill" mindset. Redpoint5 is very much correct though that everything has a cost.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Climate change deniers definitely welcome this argument.

Techies argue that machines can do anything, and will soon do all the work. Given that, why not let them explore the solar system, for a fraction of the expense of humans doing it? Since these same techies argue that we can deal with climate change with our amazing technology, and so we have hundreds of years to "fix" earth, what is the rush to get humans out there?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Climate change deniers definitely welcome this argument.

Techies argue that machines can do anything, and will soon do all the work. Given that, why not let them explore the solar system, for a fraction of the expense of humans doing it? Since these same techies argue that we can deal with climate change with our amazing technology, and so we have hundreds of years to "fix" earth, what is the rush to get humans out there?
You are breaking the principle of charity. Here it is incase you don't know.

The principle of charity says, BE FAIR when you paraphrase your opponent's argument. Paraphrase accurately. Don't oversimplify, exaggerate, or distort the argument in order to make it easier to attack. Present your opponent's argument in the strongest possible way — the way a proponent of that view would endorse.
You are attacking arguments I never made nor were mentioned in this thread. Are you opposed to support for space exploration and development due to fear of people making those arguments?

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Are you opposed to support for space exploration and development due to fear of people making those arguments?
I am justifiably afraid that cynical opportunists will, and already do, use your argument to justify ignoring climate change, and ecological destruction.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I am justifiably afraid that cynical opportunists will, and already do, use your argument to justify ignoring climate change, and ecological destruction.
That is a valid fear but please don't paint me as one until I make those arguments. I know we would disagree on a lot of issues as I am one of those people that replaces people with small shell scripts for a living (live by the script, die by the script) but I am sure there is just as much that we would agree with as well.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
That is a valid fear but please don't paint me as one until I make those arguments. I know we would disagree on a lot of issues as I am one of those people that replaces people with small shell scripts for a living (live by the script, die by the script) but I am sure there is just as much that we would agree with as well.

Glad you are not one of the people I worry about. You understand, it is hard to tell where people are coming from in short messages on the internet. I guessed you were talking about IT stuff, but I looked it up to be sure. ;)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Glad you are not one of the people I worry about. You understand, it is hard to tell where people are coming from in short messages on the internet. I guessed you were talking about IT stuff, but I looked it up to be sure. ;)
I do understand and why I try and go by the principle of charity in online discussions because it is so easy to have misunderstandings, I don't always succeed but I do try.

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Masks could increase the spread of Coronavirus by building false confidence in their efficacy. In other words, people are more comfortable making trips or being in gatherings they otherwise would have avoided, or would apply other more effective strategies to a further extent such as distancing and hand washing.

Probably the most effective assumption is that mask wearing doesn't help, but wear one anyway.

PPE being more effective than a vaccine is nonsense. A vaccine doesn't just prevent the immunized person from infection, but cuts that person off as a vector for spreading. If PPE were better, that would be the recommendation instead of the flu vaccine.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
. A vaccine doesn't just prevent the immunized person from infection, but cuts that person off as a vector for spreading. If PPE were better, that would be the recommendation instead of the flu vaccine.
Experts are hoping they can reach the levels of effectiveness of the flu vaccines.

"Specifically, the flu vaccine has been 50% effective against influenza B/Victoria viruses and 37% effective against influenza A(H1N1)pdm09."

Drs. Osterholm and Fauci both say they will continue to wear a mask and social distance after they get the vaccine, given their ages. You and the president are free to kiss people on the mouth, however.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Experts are hoping they can reach the levels of effectiveness of the flu vaccines.

"Specifically, the flu vaccine has been 50% effective against influenza B/Victoria viruses and 37% effective against influenza A(H1N1)pdm09."

Drs. Osterholm and Fauci both say they will continue to wear a mask and social distance after they get the vaccine, given their ages. You and the president are free to kiss people on the mouth, however.
To be fair this was the WHO's stance until this study got published in early June
Masks could increase the spread of Coronavirus by building false confidence in their efficacy. In other words, people are more comfortable making trips or being in gatherings they otherwise would have avoided, or would apply other more effective strategies to a further extent such as distancing and hand washing.

Per Osterholm Episode 25: Ripple Effects [00:18:57]
Did anybody hear from Bob Redfield that, you know, I'm sorry. This is what happened, this is what we're gonna do to make sure it doesn't happen again. You know, we've talked time and time again about crisis communication. That's what a good crisis communicator does. You know, previous week, he says the fact that, you know, he holds up his mask and says this is more likely to protect me than a vaccine. You know, again, no data to support that. Wear your mask. I'm telling you, wear your mask. I'm also telling you, I'm telling you for the best chance we have, for the best protection, is going to be in a vaccine. I worry that people will hear what Bob said and say, OK, well, I guess I don't need to get vaccinated, I just wear my mask.
Questioning masking policy's isn't a bad thing I for one see two main issues on masks. First no standards here in the US, unlike the WHO that has made standards for their mask recommendations. If we used standards for masks we could test to see how much of an effect they have in the community and not just in the lab. Second I go to the gym I have a mask on when going in and out but while running on the track, doing cardio, or anything really the masks are off. That is dumb and is more for show then protection. Saying that and pointing out that the gym and restaurant guidelines don't really do anything and is just security theater isn't wrong or acting like trump.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Questioning masking policy's isn't a bad thing I for one see two main issues on masks. First no standards here in the US,

Second I go to the gym I have a mask on when going in and out but while running on the track, doing cardio, or anything really the masks are off.
It was clear back in January that we needed a federal crash program to manufacture N95 masks like we had for bombers, and tanks in WW II, and a policy for enforcing public compliance with mask, and social distancing mandates. This would have required a unified government that believed it has a role other than being a modern day aristocracy. This was clearly not going to happen.

Your, hopefully hypothetical, gym behavior is totally irrational.

We have no federal standards for masks, or anything else. The entire narrative from Republicans as long as I can remember, and increasingly Democrats, since Clinton, is that the government, other than the military, is bad, inefficient, and corrupt. And that only private companies can be trusted to do anything. Both parties have done their best to prove the truth of that view with admirable success.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Your, hopefully hypothetical, gym behavior is totally irrational.
Nope, those are the rules at the gyms and indoor dining here. I follow the rules and point out the flawed logic of said rules. I do go to the gym and follow those rules because staying around my pre covid fitness level is more important to my health imo than covid is a detriment to it.

As for the other comments I am more in line with Penn Jillette's views on Libertarianism so I doubt we would agree 100% on how the government should have acted but I would like to see standards adopted in some form at the very least.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Many years ago, I went to aerobics classes in a gym. For economic and enjoyment reasons I quit, and continue to exercise outdoors. Now in the pandemic, I feel even better about my decision.

Libertarianism, and communism. both work great on paper. They only get in trouble when you try them with actual human beings.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Many years ago, I went to aerobics classes in a gym. For economic and enjoyment reasons I quit, and continue to exercise outdoors. Now in the pandemic, I feel even better about my decision.
I live on Hoth so it is too cold to do much outside 9 months of the year.

Libertarianism, and communism. both work great on paper. They only get in trouble when you try them with actual human beings.
I am not a full "taxes are theft" libertarian but I also know and acknowledge that I lean more that way.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
I live on Hoth so it is too cold to do much outside 9 months of the year.
I lived there for 24 years. I did cross-country skiing, and winter hiking/camping. I tried riding my Italian road bike, but the cable lube got so stiff, I couldn't shift.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I lived there for 24 years. I did cross-country skiing, and winter hiking/camping. I tried riding my Italian road bike, but the cable lube got so stiff, I couldn't shift.
Oh I know and there are many here that love winter and winter sports, I just hate the cold too much to do those things. I currently wfh due to the whole covid thing so If I never have to go back to the office I plan to move away to someplace warm where I will never see snow again.
This pic is from 2018 and the dog is a Great Dane trying to walk in it.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Oh I know and there are many here that love winter and winter sports, I just hate the cold too much to do those things. I currently wfh due to the whole covid thing so If I never have to go back to the office I plan to move away to someplace warm where I will never see snow again.
This pic is from 2018 and the dog is a Great Dane trying to walk in it.
I did winter sports. They weren't my first choice. That is why, at 24, I moved to Virginia, Back then we actually had real winters here, with feet of snow, but only for 4 months of the year. Now we don't have any that stays around for more than a day, if that. I got to retire in Florida weather, and didn't even need to move....just waited for climate change to catch up. :(

781 - 800 of 1085 Posts