Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

901 - 920 of 1134 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Pandemics are perhaps one of the toughest tests of the limits of authority because they can threaten the very lives of the greatest number of people in a way that very few other events do. There are always going to be broad spectra of impact, perception of impact, and resistance to authority that make it impossible for everyone to completely agree on the right course of action.

But here's the thing: mask mandates wouldn't be needed in the first place IF people voluntarily chose to behave responsibly. It's the very fact that they aren't that is causing the need for the mandates. And America seems to almost uniquely have a culture that fosters this kind of counterproductive attitude. There are plenty of other places, my own British Columbia included, where broad mask mandates haven't been required because people have for the most part acted sensibly. You don't need to get everyone on board, just enough of a majority to deny the virus too easy a path to spread.
If the masks had standards and we didn't have restaurants, bars, gyms, and maskless people eating and talking in hospitals maybe people would be less resistant as well. I wear a mask to the gym that is so thin you can see through it, it doesn't do anything and yet I can walk in and no one cares. No standards and broken logic (restaurants, gyms, bars) with one good mask study make people resist the mask mandates.

·
Registered
128 Posts
We will never get off the planet en masse. The most we could ever hope to achieve is the ability to send a very small group to other planets as colonizers, but even that won't be possible for a very, very long time, if ever. The world population just has to learn to live within earth's capacity, or eventually get smacked down hard by nature.
I agree humans will never leave en mass but if we all stay here my "Asteroid 2020" bumper sticker will happen one year take us and everything on the planet out or maybe a real pandemic that has a death rate of the bubonic plague will happen before then.

·
Registered
490 Posts
If the masks had standards and we didn't have restaurants, bars, gyms, and maskless people eating and talking in hospitals maybe people would be less resistant as well. I wear a mask to the gym that is so thin you can see through it, it doesn't do anything and yet I can walk in and no one cares. No standards and broken logic (restaurants, gyms, bars) with one good mask study make people resist the mask mandates.
You are brave going to the gym. I haven't been since the pandemic started, working out at home instead. It seems that the inevitable deep breathing at the gym as well as many people handling hard surfaces makes that environment ripe for spreading disease. People in my gym have always been good at wiping down machines, but sanitizing surfaces is much harder than most people think. There is also no real way to guard against an airborne virus in an enclosed space with a cloth mask, which can do no more than keep people from spitting droplets directly onto someone else.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
You are brave going to the gym. I haven't been since the pandemic started, working out at home instead. It seems that the inevitable deep breathing at the gym as well as many people handling hard surfaces makes that environment ripe for spreading disease. People in my gym have always been good at wiping down machines, but sanitizing surfaces is much harder than most people think. There is also no real way to guard against an airborne virus in an enclosed space with a cloth mask, which can do no more than keep people from spitting droplets directly onto someone else.
I don't think I am brave, I just feel not working out is more detrimental than the risks it comes with. Pre covid I could run a 5k in about 24 minutes and Deadlift 315 but now it's much much slower and about 65 pounds lighter so I am working to lose the lockdown weight and get back to where I was in running and lifting.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I don't think I am brave, I just feel not working out is more detrimental than the risks it comes with. Pre covid I could run a 5k in about 24 minutes and Deadlift 315 but now it's much much slower and about 65 pounds lighter so I am working to lose the lockdown weight and get back to where I was in running and lifting.
I sympathize with your fitness concerns. I too am eager to get back to the gym, but I will probably wait until after a vaccine is available. I've been using a workout bench and my set of Ironmaster adjustable dumbbells to keep up as much as possible, that along with a 5.5 mile jogging route from my house. I've been able to duplicate many of my normal lifts with dumbbells, but for some things it is not so easy. Hopefully it won't be too much longer. I do miss the "me" time at the gym.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I sympathize with your fitness concerns. I too am eager to get back to the gym, but I will probably wait until after a vaccine is available. I've been using a workout bench and my set of Ironmaster adjustable dumbbells to keep up as much as possible, that along with a 5.5 mile jogging route from my house. I've been able to duplicate many of my normal lifts with dumbbells, but for some things it is not so easy. Hopefully it won't be too much longer. I do miss the "me" time at the gym.
I expect a new lockdown sometime after the election and I have some things I can do at home (got a 200lbs sandbag to help with lifting). I myself am not hopeful that we will have a vaccine with 50+ effectiveness in 2021 so I am trying to not put myself on pause. This is where I support people evaluating what risks they should and shouldn't take, as an example my mother is in the hospital for non-covid issues and I don't visit because I go to the gym and I don't want to be asymptomatic and give it to her.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I expect a new lockdown sometime after the election and I have some things I can do at home (got a 200lbs sandbag to help with lifting). I myself am not hopeful that we will have a vaccine with 50+ effectiveness in 2021 so I am trying to not put myself on pause. This is where I support people evaluating what risks they should and shouldn't take, as an example my mother is in the hospital for non-covid issues and I don't visit because I go to the gym and I don't want to be asymptomatic and give it to her.
For me, if a vaccine just provides some resistance to lessen an infection to something like a bad cold, that is good enough and I'll be happy with it. It needn't provide absolute prevention. We should know by years end how things are looking. Hope your mother does well and can go home soon.

·
Registered
128 Posts
For me, if a vaccine just provides some resistance to lessen an infection to something like a bad cold, that is good enough and I'll be happy with it. It needn't provide absolute prevention. We should know by years end how things are looking. Hope your mother does well and can go home soon.
Thank you sly, today from what I hear her vitals are good but she is unresponsive. Hoth also keeps sinking now that it is getting cold again.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
I expect a new lockdown sometime after the election and I have some things I can do at home (got a 200lbs sandbag to help with lifting).
You can work on pretty much every muscle group at home if you have a good set of weights and resistance bands.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
I've seen a lot of political ads and am generally pretty cynical about them, but I have to admit that the last few seconds of this one brought tears to my eyes...

·
Registered
128 Posts
You can work on pretty much every muscle group at home if you have a good set of weights and resistance bands.
The bands didn't help as much as I had hoped during the first lockdown and my knees became inflamed when I went from bands and put load back on them.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Gyms have reopened in Silicon Valley, first after being limited to weights and machines, now during code Orange including every 3rd cardio machine and locker rooms. Appointments are required and masks must be worn. Those cheap blue masks aren't usable because they suck into your mouth and nose so you can't breathe and your workout is ruined. After months of ad hoc home workouts, I can say the gym is far more effective and I'm happy to be back.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Gyms have reopened in Silicon Valley, first after being limited to weights and machines, now during code Orange including every 3rd cardio machine and locker rooms. Appointments are required and masks must be worn. Those cheap blue masks aren't usable because they suck into your mouth and nose so you can't breathe and your workout is ruined. After months of ad hoc home workouts, I can say the gym is far more effective and I'm happy to be back.
Currently, my cardio is doing around 120 flights of stairs in 30 minutes but I agree unless someone has a home gym going to the gym is work the risk. I saw the CA home gathering mandates they put out Monday and feel they are overreaching, it is my job to determine the risk I am willing to take for certain activities, not the movement, pandemic or not.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Quick update;

My wife had 3 days of the normal flu-like symptoms with low energy, body ache, headache, nightly fever, and a mild cough. She's up to 90% or so now. Her symptoms started Tuesday of last week. I felt off Monday with a floaty head and took a nostril swab Covid test. It returned negative today despite my symptoms worsening to less energy, slight headache, and more head "fuzziness". Our friend who was staying with us and exposed the same day as me had a negative Covid test using the nostril swab (last Friday), and a positive test with the deeper nasal cavity swab (Monday, same day as me).

My anecdotal evidence is that although a nostril swab is less intrusive, it seems to be less sensitive.

I might take tomorrow off even though I work from home, but I still intend to work as I can.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Quick update;

My wife had 3 days of the normal flu-like symptoms with low energy, body ache, headache, nightly fever, and a mild cough. She's up to 90% or so now. Her symptoms started Tuesday of last week. I felt off Monday with a floaty head and took a nostril swab Covid test. It returned negative today despite my symptoms worsening to less energy, slight headache, and more head "fuzziness". Our friend who was staying with us and exposed the same day as me had a negative Covid test using the nostril swab (last Friday), and a positive test with the deeper nasal cavity swab (Monday, same day as me).

My anecdotal evidence is that although a nostril swab is less intrusive, it seems to be less sensitive.

I might take tomorrow off even though I work from home, but I still intend to work as I can.
This article is from June but it does talk about the false negative rates.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm glad that you're doing ok and don't seem to have a bad case. Now it seems likely that you'll have that immunity that you were hoping for, at least for a few months before it starts to wane.

Yes, the shallow nasal swab is less sensitive than the deep nasal cavity swab and will miss some cases. Even the more invasive test misses some. When I can, I'll share the research I'm helping with on that exact topic, but it will be at least a few weeks before it gets published.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I just read of a careful study done in the US that showed those who had a moderate to severe infection still had a strong antibody response 5 months after the infection, enough to prevent a reinfection. There will always be exceptions, though.

·
Registered
6,316 Posts
I just read of a careful study done in the US that showed those who had a moderate to severe infection still had a strong antibody response 5 months after the infection, enough to prevent a reinfection. There will always be exceptions, though.
Those who die from a severe infection will not be reinfected...no exceptions.

901 - 920 of 1134 Posts