Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the middle of a metro area. I need to have our central a/c removed this year, and won't be putting in anything until next year (it's making way for an ongoing home construction project). I was wondering what it costs to have coolant removed from an R134a A/C unit and take the thing out for scrap. Lines do not need to be plugged or anything fancy (the furnace/condenser will be replaced in spring). I do know that our church a mile away had two A/C units stolen overnight for the scrap value, so my suspicion is that if I could have the R134a removed, I could put up a craigslist ad and someone would come get the unit.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Probably an hour of an HVAC techs time. $85-$125. They get to keep the reclaimed R134a which has some value.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I could put up a craigslist ad and someone would come get the unit.
Suggest putting the keywords "copper" and "motor" in the free section. In Los Angeles anyway you can make literally ANYTHING disappear like that, usually under an hour. Of course here they'll steal the cages from your tomato plants, your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Suggest putting the keywords "copper" and "motor" in the free section. In Los Angeles anyway you can make literally ANYTHING disappear like that, usually under an hour.
The magic there isn't in the words "copper" or "motor", it's in the word "FREE". It's amazing what people will do to get something, anything for free.

·
Registered
52 Posts
In my neck of the woods if it says free, it takes forever to item/s to go away. I put a price of 20 dollars on the item it will be gone by morning, guess they need to feel like they are getting something over on you.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I live in the middle of a metro area. I need to have our central a/c removed this year, and won't be putting in anything until next year (it's making way for an ongoing home construction project). I was wondering what it costs to have coolant removed from an R134a A/C unit and take the thing out for scrap. Lines do not need to be plugged or anything fancy (the furnace/condenser will be replaced in spring). I do know that our church a mile away had two A/C units stolen overnight for the scrap value, so my suspicion is that if I could have the R134a removed, I could put up a craigslist ad and someone would come get the unit.
Your central AC uses 134a? That's pretty rare.

For whatever reason, R-12 was common in automotive (134a replaced it), but fixed installations (central air, window units) usually used R-22 which was replaced with R-410. R-12/134a is almost exclusively for automotive use.

If your system is charged with R-22, then an HVAC tech might consider the contents of your AC system to be VERY valuable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts