Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
7,594 Posts
Just to make you more jealous (though nobody should be charging a EV during this time), SMUD's new summer peak (5-8 PM) rate is just over 30 cents/kwh.

I've considered resetting my EVSE to run at 16A instead of 32. For overnight charges, that would extend a typical one from the present 2ish hours to over 4 (still works with a midnight-0600 EV discount). But it would also allow charging around mid-day within the output envelope of my solar panels (just a 3.8 kw nominal/3.5 typical setup, which was all SMUD would allow me to install a couple of years ago because it covered 80% of my (pre-EV) usage). SMUD no longer has net metering at all, but I'm grandfathered until 2030; they now require solar+battery for new interconnects, which makes new installs quite non-cost-effective (the battery roughly doubles the cost of a system).
I set my Juicebox to 24A... had it on 32A previously and could go up to 40A. I figure slow and steady is better for the utility and as you said, better for you during daytime charging to ensure max us of your own solar production. I don't have solar yet because rooftop solar alone is a purely ROI case and it's just not quite there... rooftop solar + V2G, it may be worth it.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
"Turn PG&E into a municipal owned nonprofit" Pffssst! The City of Austin electric has had the highest rates in Texas for decades.
Turn it into a Co-op if you want to control costs.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have solar and make 4 MWh/ year more energy than I use. The utility buys back the excess at wholesale rate of 4.4 cents/kWh after net metering. I drive 11,000 miles/year but only about 8000 using home charging. For local trips, I usually get at least 4.1 miles/kWh. That works out to about 1951 kWh for annual charging. My home charging thus reduces my annual rebate by about 1951 x $0.044 = $86 or about $7.15 per month.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m on the west side of Michigan where consumers power charges me $.07/kWh IF I set my car to charge from 11pm til 6am (which is plenty of time). I’m averaging just over $.02/mile with my Bolt vs $.20/mile with my Buick Enclave. Consumers even sends me a $20 check monthly if I only charge in my time range. Loving this car!
With the delivery fee it’s more like $0.13/kWh from Consumers Energy.

That also reminds me, if you live somewhere cold, be prepared for the costs to be higher in the winter. I was seeing around $100 a month (and $150 in February!) all winter. Now that it’s warmed up the same amount of driving is more like $60.

·
Registered
544 Posts
NO NET METERING!?!? What the f***!? That's WRONG. Without Net Metering, how is rooftop solar even useful???? And they're REQUIRING Solar+battery for new interconnects? 😡🤬😡🤬

·
Registered
210 Posts
I've considered resetting my EVSE to run at 16A instead of 32. For overnight charges, that would extend a typical one from the present 2ish hours to over 4 (still works with a midnight-0600 EV discount). But it would also allow charging around mid-day within the output envelope of my solar panels
It is possible to setup solar PV Divert with some smart EVSEs. They communicate with your solar system and control the charge level to match your excess solar production. When the house loads increase or solar production decreases the EVSE reduces the charge rate.

My PV Divert system is comprised of OpenEVSE, Enphase, and an Mosquitto (MQTT) broker. I don't really need it since my utility doesn't do TOU and I have 1:1 net metering, but I figured I have the EVSE and solar so why not?

·
Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
1,858 Posts
My PV Divert system is..... and I have 1:1 net metering,.....
Net Metering ?!! That's fantastic! What part of the world is this?
Why bother controlling the car's charging when you have that?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm in VA.

Why do I do it? Are you my wife? She constantly asks me why I do things. :p

I do it because I enjoy the process of doing it. That drives a lot of the things I do. Years ago I decided that I wanted to learn about 3D printing. So I researched how to build one, bought the parts, and built one. I spent hours tweaking the hardware and firmware. Then I find something else to learn/do.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well with both of our cars charging it hasn't cost us a single cent that I can tell, but we have been charging cars here since 2011 and have 12.5K of solar on the house. With three 3ton heat pumps (2 big trane units and a Daikin mini-split with 3 heads), a 2HP inverter swimming pool pump running 4 hours a day and electric clothes dryer and all the other electrical loads our total bill last year was under $600, which in AZ is pretty much unheard of without solar. We have mostly LED lighting and are near our complete conversion as the CFLs die. There are lots of parasitic loads like Dish boxes, 2 Apple mac minis, HP printer, network router, phone charging, 5 ring cameras, etc etc.

I like driving for free, the solar has been long paid for and met its ROI many years ago.
I’m not surprised by your situation in Az. You have great light exposure. My understanding is that Az doesn’t have net-metering at 100 %? The credit you only somewhere in the realm of 70 % of what you generate. Correct me if I’m wrong.

I think you also get 30-40 % more generation than other regions of the county.

I have a 12kw system that’s size for 10kw for the losses. The largest I could purchase. I have1 bolt and hybrid heat pump system, all energy efficient devices, leds and I’m just breaking even. I have to pay maybe 1-2 electric bills per year depending on weather conditions.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt 2LT ice blue metallic; 2011 Chevy Volt premier diamond white;
77 Posts
I’m not surprised by your situation in Az. You have great light exposure. My understanding is that Az doesn’t have net-metering at 100 %? The credit you only somewhere in the realm of 70 % of what you generate. Correct me if I’m wrong.

I think you also get 30-40 % more generation than other regions of the county.

I have a 12kw system that’s size for 10kw for the losses. The largest I could purchase. I have1 bolt and hybrid heat pump system, all energy efficient devices, leds and I’m just breaking even. I have to pay maybe 1-2 electric bills per year depending on weather conditions.
Well APS has credit kWh system, which in spring builds a bank of kWh to use during peak summer months. I am fortunate that I am grandfathered on a TOU plan that works out to mostly cover our costs until like August and then that cost is greatly reduced until like Oct when we start banking til Dec 31. We do get an annual credit then for the cost of excess generation, LOL mine last year was under $20 @ a pay out like $0.025 a kWh. My bill last month was $24.75 and only $3.51 was for generation of night time electric (off-peak). The bank now has 1762 kWh in it for on peak consumption. They do make it complicated:

Font Material property Document Number

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well APS has credit kWh system, which in spring builds a bank of kWh to use during peak summer months. I am fortunate that I am grandfathered on a TOU plan that works out to mostly cover our costs until like August and then that cost is greatly reduced until like Oct when we start banking til Dec 31. We do get an annual credit then for the cost of excess generation, LOL mine last year was under $20 @ a pay out like $0.025 a kWh. My bill last month was $24.75 and only $3.51 was for generation of night time electric (off-peak). The bank now has 1762 kWh in it for on peak consumption. They do make it complicated:

View attachment 42566
I guess it makes more sense that way for Arizona since during the summer months during hot weather you will be running the A/C more readily. In the fall not so much so they tailored it to the seasons. We are the opposite in the North East part of the country. In the summer we generate more than we need by 2-3 times some days. The A/C is my houses largest load no question in the fall and winter. Our solar will only cover 1/3 the cost of electrical usage. We just hope we banked enough to carry us through. The seasons being what the are we can be even or run a mega watt or two short. However, even adding in the electric car usage I would still be paying more for heating and travel if I utilized gas of an form. I do have a hybrid furnace (ng/electric heat pump) system. When we first used I was surprised at how much electricity it used. Our electric bill during the winter was 250-165 a month for an energy efficient house. Apparently the hybrid system was supposed to use the heat pump over 25-30 degrees outside and NG when under that temp and it wasn’t. The adjusted the cross-over point. Afterwards I got my electrical bill it was 150-185 more reasonable. Then I go my NG bill. It went from 65-75 to 175-190. Maybe I should have left the heat pump alone.
In any event, it’s seems to me in my condition electricity is cheaper and less susceptible to price fluctuations. I don’t want to deal with the price flux of fossil fuels anymore.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts