Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm also curious about this. A friend just had his CRV done, and it cost around $275. It was about $50 per side window, and $75 for the rear. I'll be getting quotes soon, and will use this as a comparison point.

·
Registered
322 Posts
You can get the back sides and rear done for ~$150, but spring for the ceramic tints that block IR. Those are $250+ as Delta Flyer said and will help keep the cabin cooler.

·
Registered
624 Posts
just got this quote from one of my local places, i'm looking around for others:

Thank you very much for your inquiry. For your 4 door 2017 Chevy Bolt, our prices start at $250 for the two back doors and all the windows behind it, including the rear windshield. If you are looking at the front 2 as well, our prices usually run an additional $150. Currently, we are running a discount of $75 if you get the whole car tinted, it will be $325 for all the side windows and rear windshield. If you're looking to upgrade to our Ceramic Series, the price is $525.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Did mine with Spectra Photosync on all windows except windshield. This product is top of the line heat repeller. Cost was $700.Windshield will be done with 3M Crystalinne. Can't use Spectra on windshields due to rainbow effect with sunglasses. 3M is $200 for windshield. Has made a huge difference in the AZ sun.

·
Registered
330 Posts
3M Crystalline ALL around. 70 (lightest) at the front and 20 (darkest) at the back. $850. Even with heatwave sweeping the west, my interior stays relatively cool.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Tinting

Just picked up a new Premier yesterday, here in our new home town of Tucson. Got the dealer to throw in tinting as part of the deal. Not yet installed, but I'm hoping for some effective relief from the 110 temps.

Ron

·
Registered
204 Posts
I thought about doing this, but in San Francisco, heat is rarely an issue. Since it takes more watt-hours to heat the Bolt than to cool it, I've opted for letting the sun in through the glass to help keep the cabin comfortable on cool but sunny days.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
I thought about doing this, but in San Francisco, heat is rarely an issue. Since it takes more watt-hours to heat the Bolt than to cool it, I've opted for letting the sun in through the glass to help keep the cabin comfortable on cool but sunny days.
I'm kind of in this camp. I don't live in SF and temperatures out here have been 100+, but the car cools off fast and A/C is such a low power consumption user. It seems the expense and the fact that it will have to be redone in the future, (I know, most of you will only have the car three years, but I'll have it long enough to see the tint bubble.) makes it seem like it's not worth it. As LectricBill points out, the green house effect probably helps a little in the winter and our heaters are big power suckers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
3M Crystalline -- 70 for windshield, 50 everywhere else. Total: $700, tax included. That's around $400 less than other quotes.

FYI, 50 crystalline on a Bolt with the Light Ash interior looks really light. It doesn't look like it was tinted. The 70 windshield is so clear, I had to ask the install guys if anything was actually on there. But the sun furnace blasting my face on my westward evening drive home was noticeably absent. The Bolt is easily the warmest car I've been in -- the windows just bake humans alive. Now, the AC stays at 74 instead of 72 due to having to work less.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The rear side and back windows are not that big. I think it's the big raked windshield that makes the Bolt EV warm up so quickly.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I don't think the ROI will be acceptable at all. The impact on range will be negligible as few trips are in that 250 mile range. As far as saving $$ is concerned, I doubt that many will notice. It is true that some of what you gain in Summer you lose in Winter. Many, if not most, of us bought the Bolt because of the technology. IF EV technology improvements come as rapidly as cell phone advances, few people will keep that "new" Bolt for 8-10 years. If we can afford it, we WILL buy the new version when our batteries show gray hair!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Getting mine done tomorrow. $300 for Llumar Formula One Comfort Series. Would've been another $100 for ceramic but I'm going for aesthetics, not heat control... don't really need it in the pacific northwest. I was quoted $240 for Classic Series.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just got mine done at Beverly Tint in Los Angeles. They have a Groupon special for $89 for all the back windows. I got all of them done (70% tint) plus Ceramic film on the front 2 windows (20% tint) for a total of $200.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I got a mid-level product, tinting all windows except for windshield (35% for sides, 25% for hatch) for $450 here in Seattle area. Excellent result.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts