Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How about members of this group posting something along these lines on the Costco Facebook page???

"Please Costco- Can you provide electric vehicle charging facilities at your stores? Show your leadership and support your customers who have made the move to EV's!!!!"

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
How about members of this group posting something along these lines on the Costco Facebook page???

"Please Costco- Can you provide electric vehicle charging facilities at your stores? Show your leadership and support your customers who have made the move to EV's!!!!"
Excellent idea and will do.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
With a 30 amp Level 2 charger, you are only going to get 20-25 miles per shopping spree. This is not significant when you have Level 2 home charging and add 250 miles overnight. It may be significant if you only have Level 1 home charging.

Level 2 charging stations (destination charging) is great for motels and hotels. Do we need it at every movie theater (2.5 hour visit), Best Buy (15-20 minute visit), or restaurant (1 hour visit)? Level 2 will never be a good "travelling charging" option, only Level 3 fits that bill.

Is this a true differentiating feature for choosing a shopping destination (say over WalMart or even Krogers)? Will this be a self-defeating proposition when EVs become more prevalent? I admit that I do not have valid answers, but welcome the discussion.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Charging spots are usually located close to the doors of whatever establishment is there and the same would probably apply to the Costco chargers. I don't doubt shoppers with ICE cars will park there and block off EVs. The parking lots at Costcos are a nightmare on normal days, can't imagine what would happen when premium spots are allocated to EVs.

·
Registered
735 Posts
If you live in the city and have easy access to other parking lots with charging outlets, might as well go their instead. Most of the EV parking spots I see in parkades are empty, meanwhile you go somewhere like a Mall and you wait forever just to get an opportunity.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I'm between two Costco warehouses and the parking lots there are insane, but it could be the weekend rush as that's the only time I have to go there. Neither have the attached gas station so I've never seen the legendary cheap gas lineups.

Would be nice to have chargers there, maybe just scan your membership card or a free charge.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
If they were to install chargers on there, the chances of you getting to use one are real slim. So I wouldn't even go there anticipating being able to get some more miles out. As it is when I go to my local Costco, I often see Teslas, Leafs, and i3s all over so I can imagine how quickly people would jump in on that.

Another thing is it'll probably make me want to stay in Costco for longer, which just essentially means a much larger bill for me when I leave lol

·
Registered
12 Posts

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
The only way charging stations at Costco could succeed is if they place them way out in the boonies which is $$ more expensive then if placed next to the facility. Does anyone have any illusions that a simple "Electric Vehicle Parking" sign is going to prevent the Costco crowd from parking in front row parking spots if that's where the chargers end up?

·
Registered
373 Posts
The only way charging stations at Costco could succeed is if they place them way out in the boonies which is $$ more expensive then if placed next to the facility. Does anyone have any illusions that a simple "Electric Vehicle Parking" sign is going to prevent the Costco crowd from parking in front row parking spots if that's where the chargers end up?
I've heard this rationale before, but was curious about the supply lines for those enormous sodium lights they use for illuminating their parking lots. I do wonder if there is enough spare capacity on the supplies for those to support a few chargers, or space in the conduits for some more copper.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
The new Costco in Woodland Hills, CA has EV charging spots. Located near the parking structure for the new Westfield shopping mall there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am with the group that thinks a level two charger at Costco is a waste for the bolt. Maybe for the low mileage leafs, i3, etc. However, those 100 miles per charge vehicles should disappear over the next few years as the 250-300 mile cars replace them.

With 238 miles of range, I don't see myself ever charging anywhere but home. At home I charge on level 2 @ 5.4 cents per kwh. So, I go to Costco, shop for an hour to get 7kwh valued at 38 cents? I don't need the miles.

What would really impress me, would be more D.C. Fast chargers around the country. If Costco put D.C. Fast in, we would have some charging options. More importantly, we need them along the highway stretches between cities.

I am sure some bolt owners need more range in really large cities but level two isn't the answer.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Here is what I wrote to Costco "Member Services" and what they replied. I removed the irrelevant bits and changed the font color for convenience:

Response By Email (Oscar N.) (06/21/2017 08:20 AM)
Hello Dimitrij,

My name is Oscar N. and I'm with the Costco Member Services Team. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us regarding Costco offering vehicle charging stations. I have forwarded your suggestion to our buying office for their review.

Sincerely,

Oscar N.
Member Service Center
Costco Wholesale Corporation

Customer By Service Web (Dimitrij Fedorov) (06/19/2017 11:41 AM)
Hello

I am wondering if Costco could be the first chain that provides its customers access to fast charging their electric vehicles. This would be a great method of inviting an environmentally conscious member to spend 30 minutes on Costco property :)
Question Reference # 170619-008333

·
Registered
22 Posts
Dimitrij just curious,

Do you need additional charging to make it through the day? Do you have a level two at home to charge overnight? That is a must for me.

It would be interesting to know how many Bolt owners really need additional charging during the day. I know some have long commutes to work but that would mean at least 80-90 miles each way in the winter before they have to think about charging.

More curious because I myself never need to charge during the day and I drive all over a large metro area.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ok I looked up the Winchester area. Geographically, with Bultimore and Washington within 80-100 miles, charging stations at Costco makes a lot of sense. However I think DC Fast chargers would be the infrastructure I would want to see. 25 miles an hour is not enough.

I know they a really expensive but taking the low cost easy route is not planning for the future. If I am planning a trip, I would look for D.C. Fast first and then see what kind of retail is nearby to spend time at while I charge. If Target has D.C. fast and Costco doesn't, I would shop at Target. I would pay for D.C. Fast to help with the infrastructure.

This is an interesting thread. I hope some of these retailers think hard about their strategy.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
^ and ^^ I have only had kEVin for a few weeks, and so far my longest drive-on-one-charge has been 212 miles (with about 80 miles left in the battery). I have never had to recharge while on the road, but I have mapped and tried as many L2 and L3 chargers as the logistics allowed.

If I knew there was a chance of me having to go over 240 mi on one charge, I'd have to drive the lil Prius. I do not, not yet, have any trust in the public chargers.

Of course I can't say for how long the same 60 kWh would stretch in the winter, when the car has to plow through snow and slush, with at least the tuches warmer and window defrosters on.

I do have an L2 (7.7 k)W charger at home, and I carry another L2 one (portable) with me.

For Costco and other public shopping places, I certainly meant L3, because in the 30 mins I mentioned the L2 will only add 12.5 miles.

·
Registered
724 Posts
DC chargers would make it worth the while and ONLY for Costco members ( need a card to use it)
We have a garage Under the Costco here. Great for me now that I don't' have a truck that doesn't fit in there, I can finally park there. Funny, most park outside {shrugs}
That would be perfect for my Costco, right along the wall close to the Mech room !!
We do NOT have the Gas station ones around here.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts