Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
The Costco discount was a huge help in getting my second Bolt yesterday, a 2020 Premier. Did a One Pay lease for 36 months, 10k miles a year and it was $5,618 out the door. I used $640 dollars in rewards from my GM credit card to help pay for it and I will be getting a $5,000 dollar rebate check in the mail from the State of New Jersey.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So, I have just joined this board. Old Chevy Volt owner and I have just purchased a 2020 Bolt EV Premier. I also just used the Costco $3k deal. My membership expired (moved away from Detroit to NY state, (no Costco in sight) so I called Costco and they renewed me for $60 and did NOT change my enrollment date. So, if you had a Costco membership and would like to get into the Bolt using the latest deal, just call them to renew and ask that they do not change your enrollment date. I had my certificate in 2 minutes.

And woohoo, happy to be here!

·
Registered
250 Posts
So, I guess if one is about to buy a Bolt, they should go online to Costco and join up.
No. It says "be a COSTCO member by August 31st 2020". It's too late now (at least the way I read it).

When was this offer first presented/promoted? It was probably a very narrow window. And again - where's the proof that anybody is getting the COSTCO discount on top of the standard $8500 + standard dealer discount (of very likely $2500)? I haven't seen any proof yet. People are posting here saying they got $15,500, $16,000, $17,000 or more off MSRP, but anybody can say that on these forums, right? For all we know, they bought the vehicle off a dealer with a extremely high "doc fee"! LOL!

Let's see the Bill of Sale with all these numbers clearly spelled out.

I still say, this COSTCO discount is a mirage! These things never pan out. They're always just another gimmick that manufacturers use to herd traffic to dealerships. Then, when you get there, that "extra" discount just ends up being slipped into the deal in lieu of the dealer's discount.

Dealerships play the same game with manufacturer rebates, too! On August 31, for example, the manufacturer has a $3000 rebate, let's say. The dealer matches it with his "own" $3,000 dealer discount, for a total discount of $6,000 off MSRP. The next day, on September 1st, the manufacturer decides to up the rebate from $3,000 to $5,000 ... because inventories are still too high. The dealer then reduces his discount to $1,000 ... so the overall discount remains the same .. at $6,000! You tell the dealer you want the new rebate amount of $5,000, plus the dealer's old rebate of $3,000 for a total of $8,000 off MSRP. He tells you, "sorry I can't do that" because he's got another month now to wait on the buyer who's happy with the $6,000 off, not knowing the history of the dealer's discount.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
When I bought mine in 2018, I also received the Costco credit but back then it was a 'store' credit that you received in the mail. You got a plastic credit card and the Costco money was 'loaded' onto the card for shopping. I know the plan has changed since then, and will continue to change but it appears to be running quite frequently in one form or another.

·
Registered
30 Posts
No. It says "be a COSTCO member by August 31st 2020". It's too late now (at least the way I read it).

When was this offer first presented/promoted? It was probably a very narrow window. And again - where's the proof that anybody is getting the COSTCO discount on top of the standard $8500 + standard dealer discount (of very likely $2500)? I haven't seen any proof yet. People are posting here saying they got $15,500, $16,000, $17,000 or more off MSRP, but anybody can say that on these forums, right? For all we know, they bought the vehicle off a dealer with a extremely high "doc fee"! LOL!

Let's see the Bill of Sale with all these numbers clearly spelled out.

I still say, this COSTCO discount is a mirage! These things never pan out. They're always just another gimmick that manufacturers use to herd traffic to dealerships. Then, when you get there, that "extra" discount just ends up being slipped into the deal in lieu of the dealer's discount.

Dealerships play the same game with manufacturer rebates, too! On August 31, for example, the manufacturer has a $3000 rebate, let's say. The dealer matches it with his "own" $3,000 dealer discount, for a total discount of $6,000 off MSRP. The next day, on September 1st, the manufacturer decides to up the rebate from $3,000 to $5,000 ... because inventories are still too high. The dealer then reduces his discount to $1,000 ... so the overall discount remains the same .. at $6,000! You tell the dealer you want the new rebate amount of $5,000, plus the dealer's old rebate of $3,000 for a total of $8,000 off MSRP. He tells you, "sorry I can't do that" because he's got another month now to wait on the buyer who's happy with the $6,000 off, not knowing the history of the dealer's discount.
I posted the full contract with personal information redacted. Is that the kind of proof you wanted to see?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Depends on the dealer. I just went through this with one dealer - it was like a bad 1970's movie with all the car salesman cliches. After a few days of fruitless engagement, I stopped talking to them. I contacted another dealer online and got the $8500 and the $3000 and a military discount. Second dealer was a pleasure to work with, quick to respond to txt and email. No games. If you don't like the answer the dealer you are talking to - walk away. I did end up at a dealer that was 120 miles away, but no problem for me.

·
Registered
304 Posts
it's Legit guys. on a purchase you get $8500 off and $3000 off (if costco member). plus whatever other dealer discounts you may qualify for with GM (trade in, loyalty, financing, teacher, military, etc). And whatever else you can negotiate on the dealer side to drop their price.
Gm does play a lot of games with all their must "qualify" for discounts they post online to make the price look lower at first glance before the fine print is read, but this one is not the same as those GM ones.

I have seen $18,000 off a new LT or Premier outside of all the GM other discounts.
$6500 dealer discount (nothing you need to qualify)
$8500 GM cash
$3000 Coscto

Very nice deals to be had if you find a dealer who is willing to additionally drop their price instead of saying the Gm and Costco is all they can do. Go to the next dealer if they try that.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I'm planning to pick up a Bolt for my daughter in the next few weeks and we don't have Costco's here. Looking at used 2017's now that they are coming off leases for around $18k with 25k miles seems to be doable. What's the opinion of used vs. new if I can't get anything other than the $15k discount? Is it really worth $12k more for the 2020. Her husband will keep his ICEV so the added range is not that big of a deal for them. They are normal sized other than he is tall so seat should be okay. It's just for local trips but do have a 70 mile round trip a few times a week, year round, i.e. below 0 F. Any upstate NY's with advice? I like the Carvana 7 day return policy in case they find it uncomfortable or battery degradation an issue. They are familiar with EV's as they've driven my Leaf and know it's limitations, (which is why I'm not recommending one).

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm planning to pick up a Bolt for my daughter in the next few weeks and we don't have Costco's here. Looking at used 2017's now that they are coming off leases for around $18k with 25k miles seems to be doable. What's the opinion of used vs. new if I can't get anything other than the $15k discount? Is it really worth $12k more for the 2020. Her husband will keep his ICEV so the added range is not that big of a deal for them. They are normal sized other than he is tall so seat should be okay. It's just for local trips but do have a 70 mile round trip a few times a week, year round, i.e. below 0 F. Any upstate NY's with advice? I like the Carvana 7 day return policy in case they find it uncomfortable or battery degradation an issue. They are familiar with EV's as they've driven my Leaf and know it's limitations, (which is why I'm not recommending one).
In New York State you are entitled to an additional $2,000 incentive from the Government on a new purchase or lease, provided you are a NYS resident buying from an NYS dealer. If you want the Costco incentive my suggestion would be to make a trip to Cherry Hill, NJ around the end of the month if possible. There is a new Costco opening there soon and you are grandfathered into the promotion if you sign up at a store that had it's grand opening after 8/31. It's a bit of a trip depending on where you are located upstate, but it may be worth it for the $3,000.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
In New York State you are entitled to an additional $2,000 incentive from the Government on a new purchase or lease, provided you are a NYS resident buying from an NYS dealer. If you want the Costco incentive my suggestion would be to make a trip to Cherry Hill, NJ around the end of the month if possible. There is a new Costco opening there soon and you are grandfathered into the promotion if you sign up at a store that had it's grand opening after 8/31. It's a bit of a trip depending on where you are located upstate, but it may be worth it for the $3,000.

Great tip. I completely forgot about the $2k NYS rebate which goes off the purchase price before sales tax is calculated (or at least it did when I bought my model 3).
It looks like with all those, the difference between a 2017 with 25k miles and a new 2020 might only be $7-$10k. Does that sound about right?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Great tip. I completely forgot about the $2k NYS rebate which goes off the purchase price before sales tax is calculated (or at least it did when I bought my model 3).
It looks like with all those, the difference between a 2017 with 25k miles and a new 2020 might only be $7-$10k. Does that sound about right?
I chose to lease mine, I didn't really check used values to compare. If you are concerned about range I would keep in mind that the 2020 models have increased battery range and would also be under full warranty too.

·
Registered
304 Posts
it depends on the options you are looking for.
LT or premier?

the cheapest new 2020 LT I have seen near me is $24,780 with all safety options (i.e. w/ dc II) before the costco discount or other state discounts. Premier about $4k more.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
it depends on the options you are looking for.
LT or premier?

the cheapest new 2020 LT I have seen near me is $24,780 with all safety options (i.e. w/ dc II) before the costco discount or other state discounts. Premier about $4k more.
I'm pushing her towards the LT but with DCFC at a minimum. Most of the deals I've seen have that and driver confidence I & II as well as comfort and convenience. They only list the $8,500 consumer cash program typically but some will throw out a lowball $23k final price that has all the discounts available e.g. Costco, loyalty,state incentives, so not as good as the deal you quoted.
It looks as though the consumer cash program ends at the end of September so if the Costco mentioned above doesn't open till them, we will miss that one.
We're test driving a used one at the local dealer tomorrow night as she will be looking to trade in her Suburu. She would prefer to buy vs lease since the maintenance is not as big of a concern as it is in the ICEV's. We generally keep our cars well out of warranty.
Is the $6,500 dealer incentive generally only negotiable in ZEV states? I'll see how much of that they're willing to give up but I'm not seeing it on any of the CarGurus ads.
Her husband gets some GM discounts through work, not sure what exactly and she's a Family Nurse Practitioner so hoping for a First Responder incentive.
Thanks for all the ammunition, this will be fun;)

·
Registered
250 Posts
I posted the full contract with personal information redacted. Is that the kind of proof you wanted to see?
Yeah ... it's a lease, which is a little bit different, but here's what it looks like you got: $3,000 COSTCO discount, $1500 Lease Loyalty, $4750 in Financing Cash, and apparently a $2000 "Dealer Discount" (hidden inside that $6750 amount)? And then, your GM dollars were tacked on.

So it looks like they combined the COSTCO and Dealer Discount, but what it really means is: (right now) it's possible for anyone to negotiate at least a $5,000 dealer discount on top of the standard $8500 GM Cash offer, for a grand total of $13,500 discount.

Here's the litmus test for these $3,000 COSTCO Discount coupons:

Try anonymously negotiating a deal on a 2020 Bolt with a Discount of the $8500 GM Cash + a $5,000 dealer discount ... so $13,500 minimum off MSRP. Get it in writing. Go into the dealership to make the purchase and then whip out your COSTCO coupon. Betcha you don't get it added to your total discount ... unless all you negotiated was a $2,000 or less Dealer Discount.

When you "sign up" for these rackets, your name goes into a database that alerts the dealer - before you even contact them - that you have this $3,000 COSTCO coupon in your possession. That immediately reduces their discount to you to keep the overall number where they want it.

It's the same racket when GM sends you those "Private Offers" in the mail. Yeah ... really "private". The dealerships know about it, too, and just adjust their offer to you accordingly.

In any purchase negotiation, you never want to show your hand or offer gratuitous financial information. For example, you'd never want to walk into a dealership and say, "I'm here to buy a new car ... and I've got $4,000 in GM Dollars to use!". That's compromising your position. But in cases like this COSTCO discount (or those "Private Offers"), they do it for you!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yeah ... it's a lease, which is a little bit different, but here's what it looks like you got: $3,000 COSTCO discount, $1500 Lease Loyalty, $4750 in Financing Cash, and apparently a $2000 "Dealer Discount" (hidden inside that $6750 amount)? And then, your GM dollars were tacked on.

So it looks like they combined the COSTCO and Dealer Discount, but what it really means is: (right now) it's possible for anyone to negotiate at least a $5,000 dealer discount on top of the standard $8500 GM Cash offer, for a grand total of $13,500 discount.

Here's the litmus test for these $3,000 COSTCO Discount coupons:

Try anonymously negotiating a deal on a 2020 Bolt with a Discount of the $8500 GM Cash + a $5,000 dealer discount ... so $13,500 minimum off MSRP. Get it in writing. Go into the dealership to make the purchase and then whip out your COSTCO Discount coupon. Betcha you don't get it added to your total discount ... unless all you negotiated was a $2,000 or less Dealer Discount.

When you "sign up" for these rackets, your name goes into a database that alerts the dealer - before you even contact them - that you have this $3,000 COSTCO coupon in your possession. That immediately reduces their discount to you to keep the overall discount where they want it.
What you are saying is very inaccurate. I received $4,585 dollars worth of dealer discount. The $6,750 is lease cash. You don't get the $8,500 incentive on a lease. And you can tell Costco that you have already chosen a dealer and they don't contact anyone. They just give you the code. The deal was as follows:

$4,585 pre incentive dealer discount (Using a supplier authorization code)
$6,750 Lease cash
$3,000 Costco
$1,500 loyalty
$640 some odd GM credit card points

·
Registered
250 Posts
it's Legit guys. on a purchase you get $8500 off and $3000 off (if costco member). plus whatever other dealer discounts you may qualify for with GM (trade in, loyalty, financing, teacher, military, etc). And whatever else you can negotiate on the dealer side to drop their price.
Gm does play a lot of games with all their must "qualify" for discounts they post online to make the price look lower at first glance before the fine print is read, but this one is not the same as those GM ones.

I have seen $18,000 off a new LT or Premier outside of all the GM other discounts.
$6500 dealer discount (nothing you need to qualify)
$8500 GM cash
$3000 Coscto

Very nice deals to be had if you find a dealer who is willing to additionally drop their price instead of saying the Gm and Costco is all they can do. Go to the next dealer if they try that.
Now ... I'd like to see this one! Anyone can say "I have seen $18,000 off" ... where (?) ... where's the Bill of Sale? So now you're saying anyone can get a Dealer Discount of $9500 on top of the standard $8500 GM Cash.

That's 25% off MSRP on a stripped Bolt LT. No way. Unless it was a stripped Bolt LT and the dealer feared it might never sell, so he blew that unit off cheap!

You gotta produce the Bill of Sale, or it's just talk.

In my online travels, I've yet to see anything close to numbers like that. And frankly, it's still too early in the year to see such numbers.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts