Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Now ... I'd like to see this one! Anyone can say "I have seen $18,000 off" ... where (?) ... where's the Bill of Sale? So now you're saying anyone can get a Dealer Discount of $9500 on top of the standard $8500 GM Cash.

That's 25% off MSRP on a stripped Bolt LT. No way. Unless it was a stripped Bolt LT and the dealer feared it might never sell, so he blew that unit off cheap!

You gotta produce the Bill of Sale, or it's just talk.

In my online travels, I've yet to see anything close to numbers like that. And frankly, it's still too early in the year to see such numbers.
So your point is the dealer discount of up to $6,500 is contingent on whether a Costco coupon is applied? If I don't have the Costco coupon, then I should be able to get both the $8,500 + the $6,500 for a total of $15k discount. With the Costco coupon, I would still only get the $15k as they adjust their dealer discount accordingly so it still adds up to only $6,500.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Now ... I'd like to see this one! Anyone can say "I have seen $18,000 off" ... where (?) ... where's the Bill of Sale? So now you're saying anyone can get a Dealer Discount of $9500 on top of the standard $8500 GM Cash.

That's 25% off MSRP on a stripped Bolt LT. No way. Unless it was a stripped Bolt LT and the dealer feared it might never sell, so he blew that unit off cheap!

You gotta produce the Bill of Sale, or it's just talk.

In my online travels, I've yet to see anything close to numbers like that. And frankly, it's still too early in the year to see such numbers.
Matters not if you believe. I could walk in tomorrow and get any LT or Premier in stock for $18,000 off MSRP loaded or unloaded (with my costco code). No negotiating. They have 35 in stock and that's their prices. No trade in, no financing, no other GM BS needed for it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
What you are saying is very inaccurate. I received $4,585 dollars worth of dealer discount. The $6,750 is lease cash. You don't get the $8,500 incentive on a lease. And you can tell Costco that you have already chosen a dealer and they don't contact anyone. They just give you the code. The deal was as follows:

$4,585 pre incentive dealer discount (Using a supplier authorization code)
$6,750 Lease cash
$3,000 Costco
$1,500 loyalty
$640 some odd GM credit card points
You are correct! Sorry! I saw that weird $6750 number, had the "Current Offers" page up on the Chevrolet site, and forgetting it was a lease, tried to make sense of it as a purchase (where $4750 would apply if you were financing). But, of course, it's a Lease.

I've never Leased before, could you explain how all those numbers on the Lease Agreement work?

What's the bottom line on your deal? What are you paying to Lease your Bolt (over 36 months), not counting the New Jersey rebate (which is specific to your state)?

You said above that you paid $5618 up-front to drive off the lot. Is that it? Just $156/month? If you add the $5618 and the $11890 in rebates, it does equal the $17k total payments!

That's a great deal ... for a Lease! And after the $5,000 NJ rebate, you'll only be effectively paying $20/month? Is that true???

·
Registered
30 Posts
You are correct! Sorry! I saw that weird $6750 number, had the "Current Offers" page up on the Chevrolet site, and forgetting it was a lease, tried to make sense of it as a purchase (where $4750 would apply if you were financing). But, of course, it's a Lease.

I've never Leased before, could you explain how all those numbers on the Lease Agreement work?

What's the bottom line on your deal? What are you paying to Lease your Bolt (over 36 months), not counting the New Jersey rebate (which is specific to your state)?

You said above that you paid $5618 up-front to drive off the lot. Is that it? Just $156/month? If you add the $5618 and the $11890 in rebates, it does equal the $17k total payments!

That's a great deal ... for a Lease! And after the $5,000 NJ rebate, you'll only be effectively paying $20/month? Is that true???
I paid $5,618 out the door, approximately $640 of that was paid for with my GM Buypower rewards. The remaining balance was $4,972. I will receive a $5,000 check from the state of NJ. So after all rebates and incentives the total cost was about negative 28 dollars for the 3 year lease.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I paid $5,618 out the door, approximately $640 of that was paid for with my GM Buypower rewards. The remaining balance was $4,972. I will receive a $5,000 check from the state of NJ. So after all rebates and incentives the total cost was about negative 28 dollars for the 3 year lease.
The same deal as a monthly deal without the NJ rebate would be roughly $166 a month, true sign and drive, 35 payments. Keep in mind that NJ does not charge sales tax on electric vehicles either.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
What you are saying is very inaccurate. I received $4,585 dollars worth of dealer discount. The $6,750 is lease cash. You don't get the $8,500 incentive on a lease. And you can tell Costco that you have already chosen a dealer and they don't contact anyone. They just give you the code. The deal was as follows:

$4,585 pre incentive dealer discount (Using a supplier authorization code)
$6,750 Lease cash
$3,000 Costco
$1,500 loyalty
$640 some odd GM credit card points
What is the “supplier authorization code” and how do you get one?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Depends on the dealer. I just went through this with one dealer - it was like a bad 1970's movie with all the car salesman cliches. After a few days of fruitless engagement, I stopped talking to them. I contacted another dealer online and got the $8500 and the $3000 and a military discount. Second dealer was a pleasure to work with, quick to respond to txt and email. No games. If you don't like the answer the dealer you are talking to - walk away. I did end up at a dealer that was 120 miles away, but no problem for me.
You don't have to tell me .. I've bought brand new cars 900 miles from where I live ... basically up and down the East Coast (because I travel that corridor anyway).

$8500 + $3000 (whether it's a Dealer Discount or COSTCO) + Military Discount is a believable discount. But $18,000 in discounts (????) ... not believing it ... unless someone posts a Purchase Agreement clearly showing that. I mean ... where's that extra $3,000 COSTCO discount coming from? It's not coming from COSTCO. And the dealership and salesperson are going to forfeit this fairly large sum of money just because you paid a measly $60 to be a COSTCO member? No way.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Matters not if you believe. I could walk in tomorrow and get any LT or Premier in stock for $18,000 off MSRP loaded or unloaded (with my costco code). No negotiating. They have 35 in stock and that's their prices. No trade in, no financing, no other GM BS needed for it.
You say that, but there's no proof of it! You didn't even mention which dealership you were talking about! Your account says you're in the Atlanta area, right? I've searched all the big dealers over there ... Jim Ellis, Carl Black, Hendrick's locations ... nobody has "35 Bolts in stock". I see the typical low-volume numbers like 2, 4, 8 ... I think one dealer claimed to have 12, but they count vehicles on order, too, so those vehicles may not even be there on the lot! Anyway, all the advertised discounts are the typical fare you see everywhere. Nothing special.

Now maybe you're a salesman at a dealership, or a GM employee, or someone with some other special discount(s) that get you to that $18,000 number - I don't know ... but that's not a discount just anybody can get walking in off the street (as you seem to imply).

But go ahead ... post a Purchase Agreement clearly showing the breakdown of the $18,000 discount off MSRP. I'll give you the $8500 and a $3,000 Dealer Discount. That's $11,500. That's the number anybody can get. Now show us the breakdown of the extra $6500 to get to $18,000 (so I can buy a "stripped" Premier for $43,735-$18,000 = $25,735+stupiddealerfee ... ~$26,000 ... or a loaded LT for around $22,000)

·
Registered
131 Posts
It's also a known tactic that some dealerships will include state subsidies in the discount list to help make their price look lower than it actually is. I'd guess that the claim of $18k off might be coming from a similar tactic. As said, it needs to be in writing or it's B.S. The old adage of if it's too good to be true, it probably is.

Reactions: Colt Hero

·
Registered
30 Posts
The easiest way around all of this is to negotiate with dealers via email asking for their current selling price before any rebates and incentives are applied. If you know what rebates and incentives you qualify for everything else except the pre incentive sales price is academic. I received $15,585 off sticker on a Premier including dealer discount and all manufacturer rebates and incentives I qualified for. I posted the contract. When you add in my Buypower rewards and the rebate from NJ I received a total of approximately $21,475 off sticker. I think there's some confusion about purchasing and leasing going on here. A lease IS a purchase. The only difference is that you aren't buying it, the bank is (in this case GM Financial). Negotiating the selling price before incentives on a purchase or lease is the exact same process. The dealer is selling the car to someone (or some entity) either way. It gets titled.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You don't have to tell me .. I've bought brand new cars 900 miles from where I live ... basically up and down the East Coast (because I travel that corridor anyway).

$8500 + $3000 (whether it's a Dealer Discount or COSTCO) + Military Discount is a believable discount. But $18,000 in discounts (????) ... not believing it ... unless someone posts a Purchase Agreement clearly showing that. I mean ... where's that extra $3,000 COSTCO discount coming from? It's not coming from COSTCO. And the dealership and salesperson are going to forfeit this fairly large sum of money just because you paid a measly $60 to be a COSTCO member? No way.
The COSTCO $3000 is is not a mystery - COSTCO has these frequently for vehicles that manufacturers want to move product on. COSTCO gets a break for their members, GM eats the cost, not the dealer or salesman. GM clears stock for the new model year. And BTW it was 8500+3000+mil discount and this particular dealer started 2000 below the best price the other dealer offered. I haven't see 18K below, but there are regional differences that might account for that.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The easiest way around all of this is to negotiate with dealers via email asking for their current selling price before any rebates and incentives are applied. If you know what rebates and incentives you qualify for everything else except the pre incentive sales price is academic.
Yeah, that’s what I’ve been doing since 1997 (although I started with a FAX machine! LOL!). I never go into dealerships until I have the purchase price finalized - including the very crooked “Dealer Fees”. What I always say about that is - “I don’t care what that fee is ... as long as it’s included in the purchase price!”

So OK ... I’ll just do what I’ve been doing the last 20 years ... except these offers will have the most outrageous discount numbers I’ve ever put on my Forms. I’ve been known to send out 20 or more offers before finding a dealer who’s really trying to sell a unit. Sometimes the replies I get are pretty funny. I once got my FAXed Offer Form returned to me with “WHAT R U SMOKING??” in thick, black marker diagonally across the Form. Needless to say, I didn’t end up buying there! On the other hand, I once sent a 50% off MSRP offer out on a 2.5 year-old “Leftover” that was accepted with $700 added back in! You never know what you’re gonna find out there...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yeah, that’s what I’ve been doing since 1997 (although I started with a FAX machine! LOL!). I never go into dealerships until I have the purchase price finalized - including the very crooked “Dealer Fees”. What I always say about that is - “I don’t care what that fee is ... as long as it’s included in the purchase price!”

So OK ... I’ll just do what I’ve been doing the last 20 years ... except these offers will have the most outrageous discount numbers I’ve ever put on my Forms. I’ve been known to send out 20 or more offers before finding a dealer who’s really trying to sell a unit. Sometimes the replies I get are pretty funny. I once got my FAXed Offer Form returned to me with “WHAT R U SMOKING??” in thick, black marker diagonally across the Form. Needless to say, I didn’t end up buying there! On the other hand, I once sent a 50% off MSRP offer out on a 2.5 year-old “Leftover” that was accepted with $700 added back in! You never know what you’re gonna find out there...
Depending on the market anywhere between 8 and 10% off before incentives is doable on one of these if you find a dealer who is motivated. I've seen 13% before. Someone in the Chicago area got 15% on an LT, I have no idea how that happened. It's all about being willing to grind.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
We had our test drive of the Bolt yesterday and using what I've learned here wasn't nearly as successful as you guys. We primarily were interested in a 2017 but depending on how the numbers worked out, would consider a 2020 if we could get in for around $24k. That's about $5k more than the 2017's with low mileage.
They knocked $11,500 right off the top if you have a pulse so a LT with the typical options bundled in being fast charging, convenience I & II and comfort brought it to $29k+. So the dealer was chipping in about $3k. When asked about the trade in, left that vague for now. I then brought up the loyalty and costco discount and the salesman would have to look into it more before he couldn't commit to anything right then. Forgot to ask about first responder's but doubtful if there's anything for that.

Off he went to the "manager" and after about 10 minutes returned and said the 2017 was out front. It was a bit dirty and had a bunch of car wax maybe around the rims. At first it looked like severe road rash. I popped the charge door and no DCFC. I told him we weren't interested then and he said none of the 2017's on their lot ever had DCFC. Likely misinformed but didn't say anything more.

So we then asked about the 2020 and he quickly pulled up a blue one. Did our test drive for about 15 minutes and when we returned asked if he had any more info on the loyalty and costco discounts. He said he wouldn't be able to ge the exact number for the loyalty until we were putting together a contract or something like that. Hard to hear every word with masks and all. When asked about the costco discount, he said they would only honor $300 towards that. I showed him the front page of the program from my phone where in bold print it states $3,000 and he just kind of shrugged his shoulders.

I think the failure to get any meaningful movement on pricing could be a local stumbling block for us. They don't have that many. Cargurus shows a bunch in Connecticut though so we will do more research on line.
I was tempted to take them across the street to the Nissan dealer and look at the Leaf but even with the new BMS, Chademo is not long for the US and they would like to take some shorter road trips where public charging will be necessary. I just couldn't recommend the Leaf for that reason mostly.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sounds like you found a garbage dealer. I recommend looking elsewhere. If you pull the trigger and buy one. Go back to them and show them how their B.S. attitude cost them a sale.

·
Registered
30 Posts
We had our test drive of the Bolt yesterday and using what I've learned here wasn't nearly as successful as you guys. We primarily were interested in a 2017 but depending on how the numbers worked out, would consider a 2020 if we could get in for around $24k. That's about $5k more than the 2017's with low mileage.
They knocked $11,500 right off the top if you have a pulse so a LT with the typical options bundled in being fast charging, convenience I & II and comfort brought it to $29k+. So the dealer was chipping in about $3k. When asked about the trade in, left that vague for now. I then brought up the loyalty and costco discount and the salesman would have to look into it more before he couldn't commit to anything right then. Forgot to ask about first responder's but doubtful if there's anything for that.

Off he went to the "manager" and after about 10 minutes returned and said the 2017 was out front. It was a bit dirty and had a bunch of car wax maybe around the rims. At first it looked like severe road rash. I popped the charge door and no DCFC. I told him we weren't interested then and he said none of the 2017's on their lot ever had DCFC. Likely misinformed but didn't say anything more.

So we then asked about the 2020 and he quickly pulled up a blue one. Did our test drive for about 15 minutes and when we returned asked if he had any more info on the loyalty and costco discounts. He said he wouldn't be able to ge the exact number for the loyalty until we were putting together a contract or something like that. Hard to hear every word with masks and all. When asked about the costco discount, he said they would only honor $300 towards that. I showed him the front page of the program from my phone where in bold print it states $3,000 and he just kind of shrugged his shoulders.

I think the failure to get any meaningful movement on pricing could be a local stumbling block for us. They don't have that many. Cargurus shows a bunch in Connecticut though so we will do more research on line.
I was tempted to take them across the street to the Nissan dealer and look at the Leaf but even with the new BMS, Chademo is not long for the US and they would like to take some shorter road trips where public charging will be necessary. I just couldn't recommend the Leaf for that reason mostly.
I'd recommend reaching out to dealers via email to get price quotes. Usually going to the dealership is a complete waste of time. You need to clearly ask for the dealers current selling price BEFORE any rebates and incentives. Make sure that is clearly spelled out. You are looking for the biggest PRE incentive discount possible. If you qualify for a supplier/college/first responder/etc program 10% off before incentives is tough but possible to achieve. From there you can add in the incentives that you qualify for. It sounds like you are looking to purchase, not lease? Forget about loyalty then. You only get that if you are leasing a new car and have an existing lease (any brand) in the household. Go to Edmunds or Autobytel and confirm the incentives that you qualify for. Purchases should get $8,500 in bonus cash when financed through GM Financial, or I believe you get $4,250 if you are taking advantage of the 0% 72 month financing offer. Either way you should get the additional $3,000 Costco incentive. If I recall correctly you had mentioned Upstate New York, so if you are getting it at a New York dealer there should be an additional $2,000 incentive as well from the state. You do not get that additional incentive at out of state dealers, so keep that in mind if you are shopping around.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I'd recommend reaching out to dealers via email to get price quotes. Usually going to the dealership is a complete waste of time. You need to clearly ask for the dealers current selling price BEFORE any rebates and incentives. Make sure that is clearly spelled out. You are looking for the biggest PRE incentive discount possible. If you qualify for a supplier/college/first responder/etc program 10% off before incentives is tough but possible to achieve. From there you can add in the incentives that you qualify for. It sounds like you are looking to purchase, not lease? Forget about loyalty then. You only get that if you are leasing a new car and have an existing lease (any brand) in the household. Go to Edmunds or Autobytel and confirm the incentives that you qualify for. Purchases should get $8,500 in bonus cash when financed through GM Financial, or I believe you get $4,250 if you are taking advantage of the 0% 72 month financing offer. Either way you should get the additional $3,000 Costco incentive. If I recall correctly you had mentioned Upstate New York, so if you are getting it at a New York dealer there should be an additional $2,000 incentive as well from the state. You do not get that additional incentive at out of state dealers, so keep that in mind if you are shopping around.
Thanks, to follow up, the Costco in NJ will not be opening until October. She doesn't want to wait that long and I still haven't confirmed it will work to be grandfathered in as being a member before 8/31. I did some digging also about the NYS rebate and agree that buying from out of state would not be a qualifying dealer. The Connecticut discount is actually less than NYS anyway. She registered for the first responder incentive so we'll see what that brings. His company is a member of the supplier discount and not the loyalty discount, I was confused. And even that he isn't 100% certain, it may have been some off-handed remark he overheard.
I think the problem for us is that in our area, there are not a glut of bolts so the dealers are less likely to forego the $6,500 in its entirety. The best we are seeing is about $3,000.
Not looking good.

·
Registered
250 Posts
It's also a known tactic that some dealerships will include state subsidies in the discount list to help make their price look lower than it actually is. I'd guess that the claim of $18k off might be coming from a similar tactic. As said, it needs to be in writing or it's B.S. The old adage of if it's too good to be true, it probably is.
Oh yeah! One thing that never stops at automobile dealerships across America is sales people and Managers dreaming up new ways to (legally) mis-represent the sale price of a vehicle they're trying to sell. You can register for all the discounts you want, but the only one you're guaranteed to get is the one coming from the manufacturer (right now $8500). The rest is up to the will of the dealership. I've negotiated better deals in the past than what "Supplier Pricing", "Credit Union Pricing", or "Employee Pricing For Everyone" produced. Those numbers are a starting point for what kind of discounts you might be able to negotiate ... but beating them depends on the timing of your deal at that dealership! What I've always found, however, is - it's hard to beat those numbers without going into the next calendar year (i.e.: buying a "leftover") ... but then you can only buy what's there (or travel a long distance to find the unit you want ... which I have also done).

If the Chevy Bolt was an ICE vehicle, for this time of year, and being a sub-compact, you'd be able to get 15% off MSRP right now with little trouble. But it's an EV and the units per dealer are low (i.e. spread out). Plus, you've got artificially high MSRPs on these things. Take a Chevy Sonic and throw a battery pack in it ... does that take the MSRP from $17k to $40k? The more I think about it, $22k and $25k feel about right for the purchase price of a (well-equipped) Bolt LT and Premier, respectively, IMO.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Oh yeah! One thing that never stops at automobile dealerships across America is sales people and Managers dreaming up new ways to (legally) mis-represent the sale price of a vehicle they're trying to sell. You can register for all the discounts you want, but the only one you're guaranteed to get is the one coming from the manufacturer (right now $8500). The rest is up to the will of the dealership. I've negotiated better deals in the past than what "Supplier Pricing", "Credit Union Pricing", or "Employee Pricing For Everyone" produced. Those numbers are a starting point for what kind of discounts you might be able to negotiate ... but beating them depends on the timing of your deal at that dealership! What I've always found, however, is - it's hard to beat those numbers without going into the next calendar year (i.e.: buying a "leftover") ... but then you can only buy what's there (or travel a long distance to find the unit you want ... which I have also done).

If the Chevy Bolt was an ICE vehicle, for this time of year, and being a sub-compact, you'd be able to get 15% off MSRP right now with little trouble. But it's an EV and the units per dealer are low (i.e. spread out). Plus, you've got artificially high MSRPs on these things. Take a Chevy Sonic and throw a battery pack in it ... does that take the MSRP from $17k to $40k? The more I think about it, $22k and $25k feel about right for the purchase price of a (well-equipped) Bolt LT and Premier, respectively, IMO.
I got my loaded LT for 26k . DCFC DC 1 and 2 Heated junk. Honestly feels about right...

41 - 60 of 67 Posts