Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This video is 1.5 years old, and I'm sure it's been discussed, but still seems very helpful to me both as a potential used BEV buyer and in general terms of rounding out overall perspective on some industry discussion issues.

Tesla: The real cost of being out of warranty
•Mar 1, 2018
Rich Rebuilds

·
Registered
867 Posts
My 2013 Tesla Model S still has its battery pack/drive unit under warranty until 2021 and I have 101,000 miles on it. Part of the reason I wasn't scared of buying a high mileage Tesla was because of the 8 year unlimited mileage warranty. If the battery pack goes dead after the warranty I will just sell the car at that point. As Rich says, the Model S is worth a lot of money even with a bad battery back because of the parts.

As a side note, I had some work done on my Tesla for service and non-warrantied items and they are very fair with their pricing. For a luxury car dare I say cheap for service.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
There's a reconstructed title 2013 Model S nearby that's been tempting me for an asking price of $29k. It's been listed for 4 months now, so I bet the price is negotiable by this point.

No warranty is a little concerning to me considering the hassle of getting parts. That, and I've never spent more than $17k on a vehicle before.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's a reconstructed title 2013 Model S nearby that's been tempting me for an asking price of $29k. It's been listed for 4 months now, so I bet the price is negotiable by this point.

No warranty is a little concerning to me considering the hassle of getting parts. That, and I've never spent more than $17k on a vehicle before.
I can't blame you for being tempted (I recently had a slightly similar situation, though I just left it alone until it sold), but the more I talk it all out on these boards over the last few months, the more I wonder what 2020-2022 will bring in terms of the non-Tesla manufacturers finally offering us all more of the good stuff new, for under $50k, and how this might impact used Tesla prices. Having watched this video and thought more about the 8 year timing, I'm also now wondering how things will go during those years with increasing numbers of Tesla owners trying to deal with out-of-warranty repairs.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My 2013 Tesla Model S still has its battery pack/drive unit under warranty until 2021 and I have 101,000 miles on it. Part of the reason I wasn't scared of buying a high mileage Tesla was because of the 8 year unlimited mileage warranty. If the battery pack goes dead after the warranty I will just sell the car at that point. As Rich says, the Model S is worth a lot of money even with a bad battery back because of the parts.

As a side note, I had some work done on my Tesla for service and non-warrantied items and they are very fair with their pricing. For a luxury car dare I say cheap for service.
Thanks, it's valuable to me to read your experience about buying a high mileage Model S, and it sounds like so-far-so-good. At the same time, if I go out of my way to buy a real top-of-the-line executive luxury vehicle and the engine needs very expensive replacement just after warranty end, I'm not going to end up thinking I made a good buying decision, regardless of open-market high value on the non-running vehicle. Part of this is about hassle, and going through diagnosis of the issue, sale of the car and getting into another car to me, is major hassle (at best) and probably far more expensive in dollars than I will be able to afford, while possibly still making payments on the initial Tesla. This is not to say things would work out that way with a used Model S buy, but I think it lays out a scenario for me that spells out what is to be avoided.

On this matter of the high prices on Teslas that are good just for parts, I think Rich was making a point that it is a signal that Tesla should change some of their approach to making it possible to get more affordable parts. If Tesla were to do this, then if it were somewhat to reduce the prices of parts-Teslas, then this might impact the idea of factoring in that one can always sell a used Model S for parts at some sort of decent price. I don't know this will happen, .... as a potential buyer I just treat it as unknown.

I also don't know if he was including Teslas with bad packs as selling for high prices at the present time (since the pack itself would seem to be a valuable salvageable part). I am having trouble remembering details, but I think I have also heard him talk in other videos about insurance companies finding Model S expensive to repair and thus tending to declare vehicles a loss, and this also contributing to the high rates.... something like that. Well, if they offer insurance in my area if/when I go with them, then this would be a plus and I could side-step some of that.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
FWIW, a used luxury car out of warranty is often not a bargain at any price.

I have a relative who owns a dealership selling a half-dozen brands of the highest end luxury and sports cars. Thinking I might enjoy one of these unobtaniums, I asked him to watch for one not new enough to go on his resale lot, but still a solid, low mileage example.

He said, "I'd never sell one of these out of warranty to a friend or relative. If you can't afford a new one, you sure as **** can't afford the maintenance on a used one."

jack vines

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agreement!

I learned my lesson on a Saab Convertible that I bought with 150k miles on it in the late 90s. I know, that's not high end luxury (more entry level at best) but at the time to me it was getting up toward unobtanium. It lasted for a year or two before it finally died so badly I just had to sell. I did have fun with it, and I'm not saying I fully regret it for what I wanted at the time, but it cost me way more than I had budgeted in both money and hassle, even with such a seemingly moderate up-front cost.

FWIW, a used luxury car out of warranty is often not a bargain at any price.

I have a relative who owns a dealership selling a half-dozen brands of the highest end luxury and sports cars. Thinking I might enjoy one of these unobtaniums, I asked him to watch for one not new enough to go on his resale lot, but still a solid, low mileage example.

He said, "I'd never sell one of these out of warranty to a friend or relative. If you can't afford a new one, you sure as **** can't afford the maintenance on a used one."

jack vines

1 - 7 of 7 Posts