Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any good options for covering the chrome strip above the touchscreen to stop being blinded by the reflection? I'd want something durable and washable. I think some sort of tape that gains adhesion over time and doesn't shrink or swell would be ideal. I wouldn't trust myself with paint. And while on this subject, does anybody feel the need to cover the white parts surrounding the outer dash vents?

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I've been considering a few ways of covering the chrome strip, but I haven't settled on one.

I actually like the white sections. I think it's one of the best interior features of the Bolt EV. My only issue with it is that it's difficult to clean, and I still haven't figured out the best way to clean it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The white didn't bother me after I got used to it. The chrome strip HAD TO GO from the first time I drove the car. Many threads on this subject.

Electric tape works OK, but there is a better product. Go to Walmart or most any auto parts store and look for "Trimbrite Blackout Tape". It is thinner with a nice flat black finish, and has a better quality adhesive that will not come loose when the car heats up inside during the summer. You get enough in one roll to do a LOT of parts, so you can experiment on blacking out other stuff if you want to, just for fun.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Trimbrite-T9005-Black-Out-Tape/198937117

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
But Eric, can't you see the glare in the side mirrors?
No, not really. That hasn't been a problem for me so far. But then again, I mostly use the side view mirrors for tracking motion (and blind spot warning). Otherwise, I'm physically looking out the windows.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A nice strip of black plastic electrical tape blends in with the decor. Problem solved...
Have you seen what electrical tape looks like over time? The adhesive seems to liquefy. I had a friend, an interior designer, who put electrical tape over one of her picture frames. Looked fine for a while, then lost grip. And that was indoors. Imagine what would happen at temperature extremes.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
My electrical tape job has lasted for two years without any signs of shrinkage or adhesive slip. It looks like OEM.

You'll need 1" electrical tape - the same width as the "chrome"strip.

There Is A Trick: peel a couple foot long piece of the tape off the roll, then hang it by one end in a non-dusty place for an hour or two, to let the vinyl relax and shrink after you stretched it by unrolling it. Apply to the "chrome"and trim the rounded ends with a razor blade or xacto knife. Push the edges in with a fingernail or plastic tool. Done.

·
Registered
439 Posts
The white sections are not glossy enough to be a problem. I will agree on that chrome strip though.

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
A nice strip of black plastic electrical tape blends in with the decor. Problem solved...
Yes, that works, but I think Tim was looking for a more durable, permanent solution.
I applied my electrical tape to the chrome strip a couple of years ago. Still looks exactly the same as the day I applied it. For me its big selling point was that I already had a roll lying around the house, so it just took 5 minutes and a pair of scissors to install.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wonder if there's any real difference between the blackout tape that TexBolt posted and electrical tape.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I applied my electrical tape to the chrome strip a couple of years ago. Still looks exactly the same as the day I applied it. For me its big selling point was that I already had a roll lying around the house, so it just took 5 minutes and a pair of scissors to install.
I'm not sure how well it would hold up in my environment, where cabin temperatures can easily exceed 150 F.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm not sure how well it would hold up in my environment, where cabin temperatures can easily exceed 150 F.
I get the sense that the blackout tape that TexBolt posted is intended for exterior use. Normally exterior products are more durable than interior, but nobody sees exterior temperatures like 150 F.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I get the sense that the blackout tape that TexBolt posted is intended for exterior use. Normally exterior products are more durable than interior, but nobody sees exterior temperatures like 150 F.
I grew up in Arizona. In summer, the air a few inches above the asphalt can be 150F. Two decades ago I fled Arizona to Humboldt County in the Pacific Northwest...

Current temperature:

·
Registered
214 Posts
When I got my windows tinted I had them wrap that chrome strip with matte black vinyl. Looks great, and doesn't blind me anymore. My car lives outside all day (in Tucson) when I'm at work, and so far no issue with the heat.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I grew up in Arizona. In summer, the air a few inches above the asphalt can be 150F.
You don't have to be in Arizona to feel that. I'm in Georgia and that's one of the reasons why I chose the Summit White exterior color.

·
Registered
71 Posts
When I got my windows tinted I had them wrap that chrome strip with matte black vinyl. Looks great, and doesn't blind me anymore. My car lives outside all day (in Tucson) when I'm at work, and so far no issue with the heat.
Have you ever heard of Spacefest? It's a big 4 day space conference and art show in Tucson. I show my space and sci-fi artwork there, and have met several astronauts at it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts