Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2023 Bolt EUV Premier
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It never fails, out of the last 6 new cars I had, 5 of them got some kind of hit and run damage early on. The latest victim is my few weeks old EUV. Someone cracked the front bumper cover on the painted part. I am going to check my dash cam later today but doubt it will get me much info.
Is that part replaceable or is it all one bumper piece? I wonder what the repair cost would be.
Hood Automotive tire Tread Grey Tints and shades

Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Grille

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Everyone including Tesla uses same approach and materials
Not exactly. Yes, there's the universal flexible front covering, but GM puts a fragile hard plastic part right up front, the first piece a parallel-park-by-ear miscreant will contact. It takes only a slight point contact to break it into shards. Very few others are so vulnerable.

jack vines

·
Registered
2022 EV 2LT Black
2,859 Posts
No, it is all one piece, at least on the EV. I had mine at a dealer body shop to have the doors aligned and they backed into the car and did damage similar to that. They said it is all one piece and had to replace the entire front bumper.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
That's a real bummer. Maybe you can get away with careful superglue application to repair the crack followed with a thick vinyl wrap? I figure the thick vinyl wrap would both add additional structure and if thick enough, would hide the superglued seam.

Reactions: liresong and Jim99

·
Registered
2022 Bolt - Silver Flare Metallic- LT1
442 Posts
That's a real bummer. Maybe you can get away with careful superglue application to repair the crack followed with a thick vinyl wrap? I figure the thick vinyl wrap would both add additional structure and if thick enough, would hide the superglued seam.
It looks like a clean break, so gluing it together could work and make the crack indistinguishable. It’s worth a try.

·
Registered
132 Posts
look to be the part you need: 2022 Chevrolet Bolt EUV Primed Front Inner Grille 42788566 | OEM Parts Online

$325 ish dollars -- and you'd have to get it painted. Another option is disassemble it, do some plastic welding from the back to get things flush/secure then perhaps a small amount of bondo/sand/prime/paint.

Just depends on how much it bugs you vs how DIY you feel like getting. Another option if you didn't want to get into the paint side, plastic weld from behind sand/smooth/vinyl wrap that piece as a black accent type thing.

·
Registered
2023 Bolt EUV Premier
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This looks to be quite expensive to fix. I will probably glue it from behind and live with it. That piece should definitely be made out of more flexible material.

I always try to park far from the nosebleed spots but I guess the oblivious will always find you. The other day I came to my car and a lady had her door open and touching my car. I confronted her her and she said her door was just resting there while she was loading stuff.

·
Registered
12/16 build, 2017, white LT
13,532 Posts
This looks to be quite expensive to fix. I will probably glue it from behind and live with it. That piece should definitely be made out of more flexible material.
Yes. A flexible plastic would make perfect sense. It appears to fit like on the earlier version. It was only removeable from the back side. This requires removing the entire front of the car to replace. An insane design decision.

Car Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Yes. A flexible plastic would make perfect sense. It appears to fit like on the earlier version. It was only removeable from the back side. This requires removing the entire front of the car to replace. An insane design decision.
For true, product and production designers only take into consideration looks, cost and ease of assembly. Disassembly and reassembly are not on their checklist. Two random thoghts:

The rear hatch external touch switch on GM SUVs is a cheap piece of junk which dies every few years. What should have been an easy external replacement wouldn't happen because the wire plug connector was captured up inside the hatch. Accessing the connector required removing the entire inside of the hatch panel. Because I couldn't figure how to remove the panel without breaking some of the plastic clips, I went to my friend's body shop. He just popped it off, breaking some of the clips. "That's why we have a drawer full of them." In retrospect, cutting the power supply wire and installing bullet connectors would have been the best option.

Honda builds a wonderful snowblower, but the impeller bearing is a weak point and must eventually be replaced. If the bearing were mounted on the impeller side of the housing (and there's absolutely no reason why it couldn't be) replacing the bearing during an augur replacement would be a five minute task. Because it's on the back side, replacing it requires splitting the machine in half; a two hour job for first-timers.

jack vines

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
That's what I was thinking. If you push the crack together, it might be hard to see. You could even try a piece of vinyl wrap or even spray it with something like Plastidip. That'd probably change the color a bit but then you'd have a customized car. ;)

When my 2019 was brand new, a raccoon decided to end it all by yeeting under the front fascia as I was doing about 50. Broke 9 of the black plastic ribs at the lower front end (of the car, not the raccoon) and it looked terrible. I managed to massage everything back together and glue it from behind and you couldn't tell anything ever happened to it. As for the poor raccoon, no amount of glue could save him.

Mike

·
Registered
2021Bolt to 2022EUV
1,386 Posts
It never fails, out of the last 6 new cars I had, 5 of them got some kind of hit and run damage early on. The latest victim is my few weeks old EUV. Someone cracked the front bumper cover on the painted part. I am going to check my dash cam later today but doubt it will get me much info.
Is that part replaceable or is it all one bumper piece? I wonder what the repair cost would be. View attachment 49998
View attachment 49999
What a bumper bummer.

should check if energy absorbing foam has been used up ( deformed) or next time could be worse.
Rear bumper does not have the foam.

I can post image if I can find it in service manual. If you’d like

1 - 20 of 31 Posts