Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen it?

Mine actually came like this from the dealer. I got it 3 months old with just tad above 3000 miles on the clock.
2019 LT, bought from Florida in Jan 2020, use in Michigan.

It does not leak, does not do anything, but all the cracks are weird a bit.
I am not really doing anything now as I am not sure I want the dealer to drain the system...
I did not notice if there is any increase in the number or depth of the cracks.

Auto part Cable Vehicle Car Auto part Vehicle Fuel line Car Engine

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wonder if someone tried to use a cleaner that was not compatible with the rubber/plastic.
And that was the only hose affected? Well, could be...
AC works fine. I am not touching it unless I will have to.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
How about your warranty? The only reason I can think of this is a bad batch of rubber (as in not enough plasticizer) from the factory. No cold or heat in a AC system will do this as testified by millions of cars on the road. The hose has prematurely aged and I would go to the dealer and ask for a new one free. Luckily the outer cover is not the important one but still....

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I’m with the others on this one - whatever the cause, I’d have them replace it under the B2B warranty

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know B2B warranty would cover it no question.

I am just like - well, it is not leaking... AC works... and I am a bit hesitant to let them drain the system and refill. Will the drier be dry? Will they fill correct amount of oil and refrigerant?

Thanks for checking yours. I will be monitoring it and if it starts getting worse, I will address it right away. For winter time I am not worried.

Problem with summer time is that I can be fine without AC, but the battery may be upset :D

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
My opinion only, but I think I'd have them do it. I would think the AC is a pretty standard thing and isn't complicated like draining and replacing the coolant (with the battery involved in that loop). Pretty standard evacuation, replace hoses, and recharge. If you let it go until you have problems, it could damage more important parts. And it might even be undetectable damage where it still works, they put it back together, and after the warranty you end up with a blown compressor down the road because it got stressed during the fail.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Mike

·
Registered
661 Posts
Yeah that IS weird. I also vote for bad rubber or chemical exposure, but you'd probably see damage elsewhere if somebody sprayed something weird under the hood. This looks like the kind of thing that they put on those posters in the service department waiting area.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Right, it's almost like it sat with the hood open facing the sun for a year and it dry rotted. Makes me wonder what is under the outer rubber layer. If that outer layer is just cosmetic, I might not worry as much.

Mike

·
Registered
373 Posts
The actual hose is underneath the cracked layer. The cracks are on the outer insulation. Some dealers may not consider this a defect. Go look at your home A/C refrigerant lines and see how the insulation is also likely cracked.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
The actual hose is underneath the cracked layer. The cracks are on the outer insulation. Some dealers may not consider this a defect. Go look at your home A/C refrigerant lines and see how the insulation is also likely cracked.
Right, it's almost like it sat with the hood open facing the sun for a year and it dry rotted. Makes me wonder what is under the outer rubber layer. If that outer layer is just cosmetic, I might not worry as much.

Mike
The outer layer is a little more than cosmetic in that it protects the bradied layer from dirt. Not so important in a static hose like this but critical in hydraulic hoses on earth movers and the like. As most of you know a hose like this has several layers or rubber with a stainless steel or aramid woven middle, like a car tire. The outer shell holds no pressure and on some hydraulic brake lines is eliminated because it looks cool. But that is not the point. The car is only one year+ old and one has to wonder what else may be wrong with this hose. If the system is open for a very short time the filter/drier probably does not need to be replaced but you may ask them if it is standard procedure to do that.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It must be cosmetic as otherwise all refrigerant would have leaked by now.
It is two if not 3-layer hose.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The Chevrolet BOLT EV Owner Manual > Additional Maintenance and Care > Hoses transport fluids and should be regularly inspected to ensure that there are no cracks or leaks. With a multi-point inspection, your dealer can inspect the hoses and advise if replacement is needed.
With the information I have at this time, as a Bolt service technician, If the service customer is concerned about this, then I would recommend and / or hose replacement.

·
Registered
373 Posts
IMO, the hose may be a standard "parts bin" part, so there's no knowing how old the hose is before it was put in the OP's Bolt. This could explain the crack in the outer insulation on such a new car.

Go get it replaced if it bothers you. I'd personally leave it as you roll the dice every time you let the dealer work on your car. I have had too many bad experiences to count, including: Missing nuts/bolts/screws, scratches, missing fasteners, dirty/dented headliner, missing A/C valve caps, and under/over filling of stuff.

In one extreme case (different car), an oil change led to the service tech "accidentally" draining my A/C of all refrigerant. At least they owned it and refilled it rather than let me drive home without A/C and then denying it later.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Go get it replaced if it bothers you. I'd personally leave it as you roll the dice every time you let the dealer work on your car. I have had too many bad experiences to count, including: Missing nuts/bolts/screws, scratches, missing fasteners, dirty/dented headliner, missing A/C valve caps, and under/over filling of stuff.
That's what I am talking about!!

Sure, it was only the one big problem, but it haunts me... except smaller, oil change, put 5 quarts, although car calls for 4 quarts. And argue with me, only to pull the dipstick and find it way overfilled...
Anyway, the once lifetime situation. We just bought our very first brand new car, in May 2008 I got 2007 KIA Rondo. Great car, spacious, very reliable, comfy.
KIA issues TSB (or maybe recall) for rack and pinion, some had some weird issue.
I told them I experience this problem a tiny bit and very rarely, so maybe we do not have to touch it. They insist - replace it. That was late 2008, so not even 6 months of ownership.
First cold day, like below -5C (it is what? 25 F?), I start the car and I find the steering is stiff. Like no power. I move it once and it frees. It works OK. Next time same thing. And so on and on. Each cold start same thing.
Dealer could not duplicate the issue. When I finally showed them, they said it is OK.
Then they parked it inside (our only car with parents of two small kids) to test it (no loaner). Sure enough, it was OK.

It took me 4 years of many winter visits to dealers, finally when I got 2nd car I had a chance to drag tech manager into a morning cold start to show what is happening. He was puzzled how come they never managed to duplicate this issue. Steering was stiff stuck.
Of course they flushed system several times... but only another replacement solved the problem.
I just had to live with stiff steering, which would also present itself after a longer drive without steering inputs, such as coming to a parking lot and you need a quick turn. It would fight back.
So just 4 years of this problem that was caused by a dealer.
It was a faulty part, sure, but still, solving it and getting it right was too much.

That is the very reason I am still hesitant.

But as someone said - if it bursts it may cause more issues that will not present themselves until later or ever enough to guarantee a fix.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just got my Opel Ampera-e and it has the same hose issue, but I have both Low and High pressure cracked. The car was just delivered to me(at 185km), but I am confident it was built some time in 2019.
I am having the same dilemma now - should I fix it or let it be like this. The full warranty has only about 15 months left and as mentioned failure would affect the battery, besides my comfort. Auto part Fuel line Engine Vehicle Car

1 - 20 of 32 Posts