Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We’ve had an irritating creaking noise coming from the back hatch area of our Bolt for a few months. You only hear it when you drive over a bump on the road, but it’s there every time. Dealer tightened latch mechanism of the hatch but that didn’t fix it so we brought it back in. They couldn’t figure it out and then chalked it up to our bumper cover being installed too high when it was in the auto body shop for an accident repair. They said it was rubbing on the hatch and that it was an “auto body issue”.

So we went back to auto body shop and they checked the bumper cover out and it was installed correctly. Go figure! They did adjust the hatch itself for us as it was off alignment they said. This did not solve the issue so I brought it back to auto body shop again. They took all the panels off the interior of the hatch and looked over everything. They can hear it too when they drive it over bumps but can’t find the source of the noise. Ultimately it wasn’t an auto body issue like dealership said.

Has anyone else experienced this type of noise? My husband sat in the back while I drove and when he pushed on the hatch near the latch, the noise goes away over bumps. I’m so frustrated as no one knows what’s causing the noise!! Any advice?

· Registered
2017 Bolt EV
10,190 Posts
Has anyone else experienced this type of noise? My husband sat in the back while I drove and when he pushed on the hatch near the latch, the noise goes away over bumps. I’m so frustrated as no one knows what’s causing the noise!! Any advice?
I had exactly the same creaking issue - I recorded the sound and you can hear it here:

https://youtu.be/N1SEqYR94cM

I took it to my dealer and they fixed it under warranty. Here's what the service invoice says:

CONFIRMED CUSTOMERS COMPLAINT ABOUT CREAKING NOISE COMING FROM REAR OF VEHICLE WHEN GOING OVER BUMPS. LUBE REAR HATCH DOOR SEALS AND BUMP STOPS TEST DROVE VEHICLE AND NOISE IS NOW GONE

I couldn't see any obvious change to the rubber grommet that runs around the edge of the door opening, but that doesn't mean that they didn't rub something clear on it. The rubber bumper stops at the corners of the doors had a clear grease applied to them - something that looked rather similar to vaseline.

· Registered
25 Posts
(copied from another similar thread) Years ago my 2017 had a hatch area creak over bumps. Like others, my first instinct was the plastic around the glass. But ultimately I found that the whole hatch door itself just wasn't very secure when latched.

There are adjustable bumpers, one on each side of the hatch, that you can screw in or out. On my car, even fully extended, they just didn't seam to make a snug fit when the hatch was closed.

So, on the "landing pads" for those adjustable bumpers, I added a piece of dense rubber (like gym floor tiles). Now when the hatch closes, it's a really tight fit, so it can't flex and squirm. Fixed my noises years ago, hasn't been a problem since. Not sure if that's the same thing others are experiencing...

· Registered
9 Posts
Automotive tire Product Gadget Peripheral Input device

Before you do anything else related to the annoying squeak/rattle in the rear deck, try a thin layer of grease on the latch post. That's exactly where my squeak/rattle came from, narrowed down only after removing the rear plastic trim and riding in the trunk over speed bumps with my wife driving. Not easy folding my middle age, overweight self into that space! So glad to have this problem solved.

· Registered
8 Posts
I had the same problem on my 2019 and my 2022 EUV. View attachment 39099
I put a small piece of cardboard between the plastic and the metal of the suitcase on the right side.
View attachment 40787

Before you do anything else related to the annoying squeak/rattle in the rear deck, try a thin layer of grease on the latch post. That's exactly where my squeak/rattle came from, narrowed down only after removing the rear plastic trim and riding in the trunk over speed bumps with my wife driving. Not easy folding my middle age, overweight self into that space! So glad to have this problem solved.

YES! Thank you. This dramatically reduced the creaking in my 2018 Bolt :D🚗🙏

· Registered
6 Posts
Thank you all so much for this thread and advice. My ‘17 Bolt developed the creaking noise this fall and it has been driving me nuts. Based on the advice above, we lubricated all of the trunk hatch’s rubber bumpers and the trunk latch, and that has cured the creak. Saved me a trip to the dealership and a lot of time!!! Thanks again. 🙏

· Registered
1 Posts
View attachment 40787

OMG. Lubricating the latch post and rubber bumpers solved my annoying rear hatch rattle and creaking problem in my 2020 Bolt Premier. I was just about to remove the panels from my car when I saw your post. I little dab of petroleum jelly did the trick.. THANK YOU.

· Registered
20 Posts
Thanks to all the discussion here I was able to get my 2020 Bolt in for a diagnosis of the squeaks coming from the rear on Thursday. I was in a rush as my B-to-B warranty expired over the last weekend, unaware that the powertrain warranty is what the rear axel would be covered under.

So yesterday I picked up my car, with a new rear axel beam and a report that stated the techs had verified the noise was gone. Huh, the noise I heard was still there...
Yesterday I cleaned the rear hatch areas that had accumulated quite a bit of grunge around the rubber bump stops. Today I gave the adjustable stops a couple of clicks and put a bit of petroleum jelly on the rubber and the latch, then took the car on a test drive. Total silence from the rear.

I figure the techs have seen so many rear axels that they know what the failure looks like by now and just get on with the repair without driving around wasting time.
Just happy to have a quiet car again...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts