Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We’ve had an irritating creaking noise coming from the back hatch area of our Bolt for a few months. You only hear it when you drive over a bump on the road, but it’s there every time. Dealer tightened latch mechanism of the hatch but that didn’t fix it so we brought it back in. They couldn’t figure it out and then chalked it up to our bumper cover being installed too high when it was in the auto body shop for an accident repair. They said it was rubbing on the hatch and that it was an “auto body issue”.

So we went back to auto body shop and they checked the bumper cover out and it was installed correctly. Go figure! They did adjust the hatch itself for us as it was off alignment they said. This did not solve the issue so I brought it back to auto body shop again. They took all the panels off the interior of the hatch and looked over everything. They can hear it too when they drive it over bumps but can’t find the source of the noise. Ultimately it wasn’t an auto body issue like dealership said.

Has anyone else experienced this type of noise? My husband sat in the back while I drove and when he pushed on the hatch near the latch, the noise goes away over bumps. I’m so frustrated as no one knows what’s causing the noise!! Any advice?

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
Has anyone else experienced this type of noise? My husband sat in the back while I drove and when he pushed on the hatch near the latch, the noise goes away over bumps. I’m so frustrated as no one knows what’s causing the noise!! Any advice?
I had exactly the same creaking issue - I recorded the sound and you can hear it here:

https://youtu.be/N1SEqYR94cM

I took it to my dealer and they fixed it under warranty. Here's what the service invoice says:

CONFIRMED CUSTOMERS COMPLAINT ABOUT CREAKING NOISE COMING FROM REAR OF VEHICLE WHEN GOING OVER BUMPS. LUBE REAR HATCH DOOR SEALS AND BUMP STOPS TEST DROVE VEHICLE AND NOISE IS NOW GONE

I couldn't see any obvious change to the rubber grommet that runs around the edge of the door opening, but that doesn't mean that they didn't rub something clear on it. The rubber bumper stops at the corners of the doors had a clear grease applied to them - something that looked rather similar to vaseline.

·
Registered
9 Posts
(copied from another similar thread) Years ago my 2017 had a hatch area creak over bumps. Like others, my first instinct was the plastic around the glass. But ultimately I found that the whole hatch door itself just wasn't very secure when latched.

There are adjustable bumpers, one on each side of the hatch, that you can screw in or out. On my car, even fully extended, they just didn't seam to make a snug fit when the hatch was closed.

So, on the "landing pads" for those adjustable bumpers, I added a piece of dense rubber (like gym floor tiles). Now when the hatch closes, it's a really tight fit, so it can't flex and squirm. Fixed my noises years ago, hasn't been a problem since. Not sure if that's the same thing others are experiencing...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts