Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
As you get more comfortable with your Bolt you will find that the Bolt is fully capable of long-distance travel. Just as long as you don't mind stopping for an hour to charge every 200 miles or so.
Most everyone knows the Bolt is fully capable of long-distance travel. It's just many owners are not fully capable of getting their minds right to do so. Some are math-challenged and thus paralyzed by range anxiety, some fear the unknown (will the charger be functioning?), some just travel in bullet-train mode and can't mentally go slow.

jack vines

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Most everyone knows the Bolt is fully capable of long-distance travel. It's just many owners are not fully capable of getting their minds right to do so. Some are math-challenged and thus paralyzed by range anxiety, some fear the unknown (will the charger be functioning?), some just travel in bullet-train mode and can't mentally go slow.

jack vines
This pretty much sums it up.

I have an update

I was planning on making it to that volt battery today but looks like it will be tomorrow.

I had brought a spare rim with me when I left just in case a tire I was keeping an eye on gave me trouble.

These Michelin energy saver self sealing tries are really great but they are very expensive. So I have basically been running them into the ground and it seems I cut it pretty close with this one lol.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

I noticed this and immediately went to a tire shop and picked up a tire for that spare rim I brought.
This way I can replace all four when I get back as a set and the spare can just be some random cheap tire. :)

also, the fast charger I was planning on hitting up here in knoxville has their gates closed, so my choices are pay electrify america charger or free L2 charger on solar.
Ya’ll know I’m a sucker for solar. 😁
Wheel Tire Sky Car Vehicle

·
Registered
2023 Bolt EUV, 2021 Kona Electric
3,350 Posts
Hey! They guys that build this kit are right around the corner from me. Chesapeake Light Craft in Annapolis, MD.
Have you seen it in person? What's your take? I'm really starting to fall for this thing. I'm like 50-50 designing one from scratch or buying this kit. Whatever I come up with won't be nearly as gorgeous as it.

I promise @Sphere this is my last side rail with my project that's not even a project yet and I'll make my own thread, just couldn't let past someone who saw it in person 😁

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Yeah, towing with a car and towing with a truck are different things. In Europe, where they tow with smaller cars a lot, it is typical to shoot for 4-10% tongue weight. They also don’t tow at 80MPH.
Amen.
I was shocked, years ago, when I saw the exactly same car here (although with 2.7 V6) was rated 1000 lb towing capacity, while in Europe (2.0 I4) 1250 kg, or to be more exact 2750 lb.
I got more power, more torque, yet the European version would tow almost 3 times what I can.

I used to tow heavier stuff than my car many times - just slower and about 5% on the tongue.

These Michelin energy saver self sealing tries are really great but they are very expensive. So I have basically been running them into the ground and it seems I cut it pretty close with this one lol.

Darn it - how did you manage to wear the tire like that?
What is that??? Wires from inside? If so, that is unacceptable.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
There is a patch mushroom plug there and the tire was bulging out and unraveling where the hole is.

anyway that tire is gone now :)

I’m picking up the volt battery tonight.

Btw
another internet person reached out to me and requested I shoot up to Arkansas and sell them some inverters. So yet another stop has been added to the trip lol.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
Got the volt battery all picked up, over here in Birmingham, re sorted the inverters. Rides a tiny bit lower but not really much change in handling.

lower probably from the inverters I moved into the car.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

gonna head on over to a free L2 for the night and get a full nights rest

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have you seen it in person? What's your take? I'm really starting to fall for this thing. I'm like 50-50 designing one from scratch or buying this kit. Whatever I come up with won't be nearly as gorgeous as it.

I promise @Sphere this is my last side rail with my project that's not even a project yet and I'll make my own thread, just couldn't let past someone who saw it in person 😁
There's a canoe' & kayak Spring boat show here in Madison, WI that CLC displays their wares at, and one of their camper trailers was there. A well done rig. I built one of their tandem kayaks some years ago, from just the plans. A very sweet and gorgeous craft.
Buy the kit! I should/could have, and
Wood Grass Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Recreation Plant

you'll save time and money that way.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Guys, seriously,
C'mon dude you're trailering with a Bolt at like max tongue weight, you had to have known this was going to happen :ROFLMAO:

Wear it with pride, you're putting the thing to work and you're not even getting any rubbing. I'd be smitten with every 1mm clearance run I did, personally.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a aluminum tilt atv trailer that weighs like 400 pounds and is rated for around 1,500 pounds of cargo. I used it behind my TDI, and then Ford Maverick. I'd never bought the Maverick if the Bolt had been available back in June. Sold it, buying a Bolt as soon as it comes in, super excited. I'll add a tow hitch right off the bat and join the club.

Are you on a Solar Forum also? I have solar and I used to frequent Will Proses DIY solar forum a lot. Best of both worlds, a EV and Solar to charge it with.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·

I’m on this group.

I am hoping to design a stronger version of the hitch at some point maybe, if I get around to it during this trip I can post it here.

I want it to be like ecohitch but also attach horizontally to the frame below

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
What?

what does my towing have to do with you guys designing a teardrop trailer and talking about kayaks in my thread? Stop thread jacking.

Nothing is rubbing, it isn’t sitting on the axle.
If it happens again I'll make a new thread, my comments about riding the axle was joking with you actually in an attempt to switch away from tear drops. I only haven't done it yet because we've pretty much discussed the only thing I cared about.

Sorry again, look on the bright side, you're getting tons of attention about trailering in the end because of it :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 · (Edited)
Made it to Tupelo

There is a bit of a L3 gap between bermingham and memphis. (Same one I went through earlier in trip) Had to L2 in bermingham and Tupelo. Should make it back to the l3 network in Memphis. No biggie. Worked out good for naps. :)

my previous comment about handeling not changing much I must ammend. I can feel more weight on highway. But didn’t seem to feel much different on surface streets.

at a L2 stop I uncoupled trailer and was curious about tongue weight. Feels like 100-150 currently. Hard to say trailer weight currently but guessing 2000 lbs or so.

Btw, I checked my EA app I’m currently just below 40$ in charging expenses so far for the whole trip

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I have an exciting update!

I made it through the L3 dead zone without any issue. Smooth sailing. Am in memphis now. And I hit up the nissan dealer for a quick charge 40kw. (Nissan dealers are typically very nice and accommodating on road trips btw so shout out to them!)

anyway, I get here gates are open, lights are on, charger is listed as free during business hours. So I keep a close eye on the staff still there. When all a sudden it got quiet. I pop my head out and look at the gate they are locking it up. So I run over and am standing 5 feet from them waving they look right at me laughing and drive off. This was the cleaning crew btw not the day staff. Basically they locked me in and drove off laughing (on purpose) because they thought it was funny. I anticipated the gate might go closed which is why I watched for it. Didn’t count on being punked… 🤦‍♂️

so I scout out the parking lot looking for a curb to jump. No luck, they have the lot locked down pretty good.

ugh, oh well, I call the cops and ask if they can reach the alarm company to reach the owners or something. Cop Comes out. Super nice guy. Starts making calls. I hang out in the car when all a sudden sirens, cops flying down the street, and the cop is all like, I gotta go there is a shooting. I give him the thumbs up and say, I’ll be here lol. Good luck.

:)

it’s the little things in life.

41 - 60 of 98 Posts