Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
61 - 80 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
I guess you would have needed to park somewhere regardless.

Your tale has me reminiscing about sleeping on picnic tables, during cross country motorcycle rides. It was always so cold. I would keep my riding suit and helmet on, and I am tall enough to be assumed male. No one ever bothered me. But I always expected a cop’s flashlight in my eyes, every time a car stopped nearby.

You won’t be cold and the cops already know you’re there. It’s downright luxurious right? Lol!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Yeah, it’s not the end of the world. I was hoping to get a few more hours of driving in tonight but oh well.

yeah, I guess in the morning I’ll get to have the manager pull up the video of them deliberately trapping me. Maybe they will get a talking to.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Great story! I'm glad that I came into it late, as I've been able to sit here and read 67 posts in a row. OP, are those inverters some of the first generation Solar City ones that they no longer use? I was watching someone on Youtube trying to convert one of those to work on his system. Anyway, please keep updating this story, it's great!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Okay I have an update.

I escaped the nissan department of corrections.

a member here reached out to me and offered to let me swing by and grab a charge on my way to the Arkansas job.

so I met up with them, we’ll leave their info anonymous unless they wish to come forward, wonderful people. In central Arkansas. We nerded out about the bolt, solar, looked at their new evse installation and even watched some star trek and ate some good food. Thank you so much for having me! You guys rock! :p
I left late at night and pushed through for a AM arival at north western Arkansas at this guy’s shop where his bus is.

He also let me grab a charge, and I ended up selling him two of the vermont inverters. He let me have his old ones for parts/repair. Super nice guy. Here is a pic of them in and working :)
Electronic instrument Audio equipment Electrical wiring Computer hardware Musical instrument accessory

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Great story! I'm glad that I came into it late, as I've been able to sit here and read 67 posts in a row. OP, are those inverters some of the first generation Solar City ones that they no longer use? I was watching someone on Youtube trying to convert one of those to work on his system. Anyway, please keep updating this story, it's great!
Not sure if they are the ones you speak of.

there is a community for them, they are very good long lasting inverters. They don’t much make them like this anymore. They are from trace.

Next up on my trip I was to head back to austin to see a guy about an inverter (different guy) but he said he is all good, fixed it himself.

so next, on to las cruses. To check in on a solar install my friend did a couple weeks back.

looks like the trip is wrapping up. I’m already a hour south of north west Arkansas topping off at a free charger preparing to push through to dallas, then over.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks!

@ Duncanator

You are missing out.  does your bolt not have dcfc? If so,I get it. Lol

I spent the afternoon getting this spare tire mount made/modified from a mount I bought at harbor freight.

the guy who welded it up did a pretty good job.

that took a while though. So a bit of a delay. At some point I am going to spend some time at a auto parts store fixing the trailer lights. See I borrowed this trailer and I want to return the favor. My usual trailer is less aerodynamic, so this one made more sense to bring along is why

Anyway, I am about a hour down the road from where I got that done at a rest stop that has free fast chargers I’m sitting here playing on my phone minding my own business, and I shart you not, amish dude in full (tactical) amish gear runs up to the charger and my car looking at it all in a total panic! Naturally, I am curious what the heck he is all excited about so I roll down the window and ask him what’s up? and he asks if the pumps can give him gas for his car. I explain it is electric only, gotta go elsewhere for gas. He says thanks, and runs off. Nice guy  hope he finds some gas. 😂

okay, so I might get a blizzard tonight driving. Will see what happens, apparently one is coming in. For the sake of the thread and your information it will be good, but you’ll forgive me for hoping it stays away lol
Poor Amish. We're going to EV's and they are just going to ice's 😆

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Automotive lighting Street light Car Road surface Asphalt

here is a funny pic of me trying to get out of the nissan dealer and the cops trying to help. Lol

I am now a stones throw from
Texas. Gonna head toward dallas then over to new mexico. Jeff is anxious to get his battery :p haha.

one more stop left in las cruses. Then back to arizona!

·
Registered
377 Posts
I thought it was just a life reference. There is always that one guy. I call him the party sucker. He is always the first guest to arrive and you struggle to make conversation. When the other guests arrive, he sucks all the positive energy out of the room. People leave early just to get away. You rack your brains trying to figure out how not to invite him, but someone always posts on Facebook that you are having a party and he just shows up, and you can’t figure out how to turn him away from your door, so you stop having parties.

I think this is why we have all gotten old and boring. We are lying low to avoid the party sucker.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 · (Edited)
This guy is worse.

also, Don’t be mean to the awkward dude.

Anyway, I’m in fort worth. Made it through the L2 zone. Ugh. Lol.

Back to the L3 chargers! W00t
Las cruses here I come!

technically, I could probably be hitting more L3 chargers if I stuck closer to major routes and cities and wasn’t being a cheap ass.

friend of mine was telling me he basically drove a similar route in his truck with trailer and ended up spending over 2k

I think I’m around 50$ so far… 😳

a few months back I did a even longer trip and made a point of it to use only free chargers. And I was successful.

seattle, yellowstone, miniapolis, Indianapolis, DC, tennesee, Mississippi, space x, phx all free.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 · (Edited)
Well, looks like I am staying in pecos tonight. Would have probably made it to EL passo tonight but the EA station at sonic has all four stations not working. Which is a first for me. In all my travels this is the first time seeing an ENTIRE location down. One to several down is pretty common but not all 4.

but the evening got more interesting while trying to find an alternate charger.

It is snowing and flooding like literally the entire town is flooded and covered in snow(you can’t see it in my pics, I didn’t get good pics while driving for my life on the surface streets lol)

The car may as well have been swimming down the roads as much as it was driving down them lol inches of water and snow all over the roads.

and there was construction everywhere that was blocking almost every single route to the alternate L2 chargers so I ended up spending about two hours between trying to figure out the EA station with tech support, and trying to physically reach the alternate L2 stations, and while doing so, because there was snow and water everywhere I accidently mistook a flooded spot of for part of a parking lot and ended up nearly getting stuck in 1 foot of water and mud. But believe it or not, with the trailer attached I got the bolt out of 1 ft of water and mud lol.Must have powered through like 50’ or more of it after I got moving (traction control off) ended up decorating the side of the car with mud :(

some serious rooster tail action haha

Vehicle Speedometer Car Odometer Gauge

Mirror Sky Automotive mirror Freezing Snow

Here is a pic I took before it all went down, and snowed/rained more
This is for sure the closest call I’ve ever had out of state. Remember I have 190k on the car now. It took a perfect storm. That construction was what really did it.

I’m stuck on L2 which is no biggie, but there is always l1 if you really strike out. Haha. And those are almost everywhere.

I still have trouble faulting the “EV” for this hough, especially with all the miles I’ve done and still haven’t once actually “ran out” in fact it deserves props, it powered out of that mud pit with a trailer attached and nearly dead battery lol.

it isn’t the EVs fault that the whole EA station was down, or that construction was blocking two alternates stuff like this happens with gas stations sometimes also.

The best part is this nearly 6,500 mile trip has only cost me about $60 so far

61 - 80 of 98 Posts