Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the first Curt Hitches from eTrailer.

The Trailer Hitch thread has all the info on this infamous hitch.

Installed, didn't like how low it hung down. Got a pro to cut down and re-weld to a reasonable hitch receiver height. But with only a 100 lbs tongue weight rating, my heavy bike rack with 2 bikes (~60 lbs Thule T2 + 2 x 25 lbs mountain bikes) bent something on the car because the attachment points on the car for this hitch is soft.

Works well with lightweight racks. I used it with another rack (Highland Sportwing with riser shank) after I bent everything back and it was fine until I was able to replace the hitch.

Ended up buying a Drawtite hitch with a 200 lbs tongue weight rating.

The Curt hitch is just sitting in the Garage, so shoot me an offer.

Local SoCal only, near Pasadena.

Untitled by tk_1971, on Flickr

Untitled by tk_1971, on Flickr

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Still available...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Bueller, Bueller? Frye?

Two mountain bikes and a stout bike rack might challenge the 100 pound tongue-weight capacity of the Curt. It's going to be a tough sell when the Draw-Tite has twice the Curt's TW capacity for about $125.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Still available. Dropping down to $25.

Yep, it's tough sell indeed... but it boggles the mind that people are still paying full dealer pricing for this same hitch from Chevy.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Super tempting, but the weight limit worries me. How easy are they to install? Any new holes that wouldn't be used if I upgrade later?

PS nice username. ;)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Super tempting, but the weight limit worries me. How easy are they to install? Any new holes that wouldn't be used if I upgrade later?

PS nice username. ;)
The only thing to cut is the bumper skin and that is in the exact location for the Curt hitch as it is for the Drawtite and EcoHitch.

This hitch is really easy to install. There's plenty of videos and you don't need to remove the bumper skin to install. No holes to drill.

In fact had I not gotten the Drawtite, a weld shop could probably reinforce this hitch quite easily and with minimum cost. Just add a couple of frame supports (like on the Drawtite) and maybe weld some material at the junction between the main bar that holds the receiver and the ears that are installed at the rear aluminum bumper bar (a-la EcoHitch).

Still available.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts