Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my Bolt with a Curt hitch, but found it to be too light-duty for my needs. Curt is good for a light bike rack with one or two light bikes.

Moving up to a Draw-tite.

Used Curt Mfg. hitch, in good condition. Specs available here: Class 1 Trailer Hitch, 1-1/4" Receiver, Select Chevrolet Bolt EV and 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV 110-lb. Capacity trailer hitch carrier mount by curt™ group - associated - 19355746 | GM Parts Depot, Ottawa Ontario.

Asking $100 CAD. Local pickup in Trenton, ON, Canada or will ship for actual cost.

Compare at $160+ CAD after shipping and tax for a new one.

- Andrew

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
3,144 Posts
The 2" TorkLift EcoHitch for the Bolt has a 300# tongue weight.

They didn't exist when I put a 1.25" Draw-Tite on my 2017. I'm putting a 2" EcoHitch on my 2021.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 2" TorkLift EcoHitch for the Bolt has a 300# tongue weight.

They didn't exist when I put a 1.25" Draw-Tite on my 2017. I'm putting a 2" EcoHitch on my 2021.
I'd have gone with an EcoHitch, but was turned off for a few reasons:
1) Nobody has stock in Canada
2) The price
3) The weight: 38 lbs vs 25 for the Draw-tite.

- Andrew

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
3,144 Posts
I'd have gone with an EcoHitch, but was turned off for a few reasons:
1) Nobody has stock in Canada
2) The price
3) The weight: 38 lbs vs 25 for the Draw-tite.

- Andrew
Yeah. Mine's not coming in until the end of May. I suspect it's on one of the dozens of container ships at anchor outside LA/LB Harbor.

Pricey, yes, but I figure GM paid for it with their (effectively) $12k check to exchange my 2017 for a 2021. They'll also pay for my Thule EasyFold XT bike rack, as well as installation. Close to $1.8k for the two of them, installed. (I did my own DrawTite installation on a 2017, but I'm over it.)

IMO, thirteen pounds of sprung weight is well into the noise.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah. Mine's not coming in until the end of May. I suspect it's on one of the dozens of container ships at anchor outside LA/LB Harbor.

Pricey, yes, but I figure GM paid for it with their (effectively) $12k check to exchange my 2017 for a 2021. They'll also pay for my Thule EasyFold XT bike rack, as well as installation. Close to $1.8k for the two of them, installed. (I did my own DrawTite installation on a 2017, but I'm over it.)

IMO, thirteen pounds of sprung weight is well into the noise.
Every pound is a pound! I'm thinking more about fuel economy than handling. I also did add a spare tire, so I guess I shouldn't be that concerned.

It turns out that Draw-tite hitches are also backordered. I'm going to be fabbing something to give my Curt hitch another attachment point on the frame rails (like the Draw-tite hitch) unless it magically sells in the next day or two. It's not the hitch itself that bends, but where it attaches to the car. I think I'll be drilling a new hole in the car frame rails - the existing hole that the Draw-tite hitch uses are too far forward.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also purchased the Curt 1.25" hitch directly from GM. It flexes unacceptably with one mountain bike on a 1-up bike rack (total combined mass of ~55 lbs). My handlebar (which was 6" away from the rear windshield when not moving) tapped the rear window when I was driving. I would highly recommend to anyone looking to haul bikes or cargo to upgrade to a sturdier solution like the DrawTite 1.25" or the EcoHitch 2".

I'm bummed I have to take off the bumper cover a second time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I strongly recommend against the Curt hitch for carrying bikes. While rated to a 110 lb tongue weight, it could not cope with a Yakima Holdup 2-bike rack with 2 mtn bikes on it. When I called Curt to talk about this, they basically said that I should know that a tongue weight of 110 does not equal the weight of my bike rack loaded. When I suggested that the hitch should be re-engineered, the reply was that the hitch was designed with GM and is perfect. IT'S NOT!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Bolt LT
228 Posts
I would strongly recommend going with the Drawtite setup. much better hitch design.
It has a heavy-duty brace that attaches to the car's underbody frame rails. Better for pulling and better for tongue weight/bike racks

Draw-tite

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree, that looks like a way better design. Unfortunately, I asked for a hitch to be installed when buying my Bolt and my GM dealership put a Curt hitch on. I wish they had talked to me about how weak the Curt hitch is and asked me if I wanted a different option.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts