Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The manual milling machine was looking for something to build, so decided to build a receiver hitch for the Bolt.

We don't need a hitch very often, so didn't want to pack the extra weight of a steel 2" hitch, with a listed weight of 38 pounds. The 1-1/4" Drawtite model is 22 pounds. What I have come up with keys into the stock aluminum impact bumper, and only weighs 4 pounds, including the bolts. In the process of machining a couple of body to bumper reinforcement brackets, that will probably add another pound. As it is now, I can jump on it with my 195 pound frame, and it doesn't flex.

Will post more pics as I make more progress.
IMG_20201022_094641077.jpg
IMG_20201021_161138082.jpg

·
Registered
78 Posts
Nice clean milling.
What I don't know about is the vertical strength of the bumper that you are bolting to. I have not opened up the bumper on my bolt so don't know the material (which aluminum), gauge, or what the bolt holes are doing to that strength. I understand that you can jump on it without flexing, but depending on your use you could be putting 195 lbs jumps on it thousands of times.an hour.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just finished the body to bumper reinforcement brackets, and the assembly is bolted in (with blue locktite). The reinforcement brackets take the load off of the original 3/16" flanges that are welded to the bumper, and bolt to the body. The week link, imho. The main cross tube is 2-1/2 x 3-1/2 x 3/16" wall, with an extra interior partition. Plenty stout for the task.

My next job is to layout and cut the hole for the receiver through the plastic bumper skirt, then reinstall.

Thanks for the comments!
IMG_20201023_102040247.jpg

·
Registered
206 Posts
The manual milling machine was looking for something to build, so decided to build a receiver hitch for the Bolt.

We don't need a hitch very often, so didn't want to pack the extra weight of a steel 2" hitch, with a listed weight of 38 pounds. The 1-1/4" Drawtite model is 22 pounds. What I have come up with keys into the stock aluminum impact bumper, and only weighs 4 pounds, including the bolts. In the process of machining a couple of body to bumper reinforcement brackets, that will probably add another pound. As it is now, I can jump on it with my 195 pound frame, and it doesn't flex.

Will post more pics as I make more progress. View attachment 31217 View attachment 31218
I love seeing well thought out, understood, and executed designs. Nice job!

·
Registered
7,521 Posts
Just finished the body to bumper reinforcement brackets,
I am pretty sure those brackets will reduce the crush zone function of the bumper. But not as much as our full size OEM spare in the cargo area. Oh well. Some dangers we get to pick.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts