Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you ever wondered what goes through the mind of someone. You just really can’t figure them out?

Wonder no more about Elon Musk. He displayed his brain in interesting color during the Cybertruck presentation in LA.

I think I finally get where Elon is these days. He seems to be afraid something is going to happen where he needs to escape. Maybe it is from the investors in his companies, maybe its the millions of people who are disgusted by the opulence of the American way and extreme capitalism that has led to greed and lack of humanity.

Maybe he drove a Chevy Bolt and realized what he was doing was not that special after all. I mean, sending rockets to the moon, or to mars for that matter, has already been done, and done well, and paid for by common folks like you and me, yet sending oneself to the moon or mars, well Elan may have a plan.

In either case, having a car to get away from people who may come after him, a truck for that matter, that is pretty much indestructible, with the exception of the glass, which could contain a person beating on it for their life from the inside to get out, would be a great thing. His question was probably this: what type of truck would get me 500 miles away from the hoards of angry desperate people and to my hideaway, where my “Boring Company” has dug me a shelter deep in the earth, starting in LA, then working its way to where the only access would be by an ATV? He probably thought, I can do that, I am wealthy beyond belief and people think if I dress cool, like in the movies, I will be cool.

I wonder what it must be like to be Elon Musk, well that is another question…

PS. I love my Chevy Bolt

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Your post says more about your bizzaro lens of reality than anything else.

It's a small minority of people that are disgusted by "opulence of the American way and extreme capitalism". You're free to leave too. That's the great thing about America, we don't force people to live here.

Greed and lack of humanity started at the beginning of time; it has nothing to do with systems of commerce.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your post says more about your bizzaro lens of reality than anything else.

It's a small minority of people that are disgusted by "opulence of the American way and extreme capitalism". You're free to leave too. That's the great thing about America, we don't force people to live here.

Greed and lack of humanity started at the beginning of time; it has nothing to do with systems of commerce.
I appreciate your observation of my ”bizarro lens of reality,” to me that is what makes good humor sometimes, and in this case good humor is what should be in question. I thought it was funny, so did the person I showed it to, but you don’t seem to find it funny, or at least maybe not all of it, that is also sometimes part of the fun of humor, the times when you take it to the edge of a comfort zone.
Leaving America because I see things the way I do is of course an option of freedom of our wonderful country, but not an option I would do simply because I believe greed and extreme capitalism, as well as opulence, exists. I prefer to live in the place with imperfections where my family is from, who have been here for a very long time.
When I think about the financial crisis of 2008 I do not forget the greed, excess, and opulence of those events. I hope others who bailed them out with our hard earned tax dollars saw it as well.
So I for sure will keep my eyes wide open as we look at the control the electrical grid moving forward and hope greed, excessiveness, doesn’t ruin what could be one of the great turning points of automobile history, which of course I have to give Elon Musk much of the credit.
So hopefully humor will taken for just that.
Thanks once again for your comment, your opinion counts too.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Is this truck's body the offspring of a 2nd/3rd generation Prius and a Hummer H1?
TR7, the shape of things to come. Remember the wedge from 1975? We just didn't know how long the wait was to be. Nearly half a century.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, text lacks tone, so it's easy to misunderstand something meant to be humorous. Half of what I write is sarcastic and probably isn't interpreted as such.
Yes it can lack tone and can be difficult to understand.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I took the post as humor. Here are some shorter alternatives:
What is he smoking now!
Now he have proof Elon is from another planet!
I initially fell off my chair when I saw the Cybertruck. After giving it some thought I like it. However I think it remains to be seen if it is a practical design. I have been waiting for Tesla to move away from "looking cool" as the primary design goal.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I predict that the Cybertruck is the look of things to come. Not just from Tesla, but eventually, this look is going to be the design theme of all trucks in 10 years. Mark my words.

There are as many people who love it and hate it. But those who don’t care will be few. It’s hard to sell something to someone who is indifferent. The ones who love it will buy it and those are the easy sales. Who cares about the haters? No one. Haters gotta hate.

Tesla just got millions of dollars of free advertising All over the internet. Genius move, Tesla. Remember, there is NO such thing as bad press. After seeing it for two years, in late 2021, this truck will be ”normal” and all others will look old and stodgy.

It is said that the base price is crazy low for an electric of that size. It’s the same price as a SR model 3. There must be something about those panels that makes it cheap to produce. The other truck makers will realize this and then what do you think will happen?

I will never buy this truck... or any truck. I don’t need one. I have a Bolt that meets (almost) all my needs (except for the slow DCFC rates compared to... you know).

To be honest, I would rather have a Model X just for the look. I know they are the least efficient of the EVs from Tesla, but its still better than the i-Pace and the e-Tron. I’m not made of money and my commute is short enough for any EV.

So, bring on the Cybertruck. Bold, edgy (literally), and attention getting. Since when do truck buyers care about styling? When it whoops the @sses of all the other trucks out there, anyone who drives a truck for “image” or perception is going to seem like like they are clinging to the past for the principle (of god knows what).

Too bad the CT won’t come with a coal-rolling option. But I guess leaving everyone in its dust will be just as telling.

I don’t hate it, but I love how emotional people get about it.

·
Super Moderator
2,030 Posts
Have you ever wondered what goes through the mind of someone. You just really can’t figure them out?

Wonder no more about Elon Musk. He displayed his brain in interesting color during the Cybertruck presentation in LA.

I think I finally get where Elon is these days. He seems to be afraid something is going to happen where he needs to escape. Maybe it is from the investors in his companies, maybe its the millions of people who are disgusted by the opulence of the American way and extreme capitalism that has led to greed and lack of humanity.

Maybe he drove a Chevy Bolt and realized what he was doing was not that special after all. I mean, sending rockets to the moon, or to mars for that matter, has already been done, and done well, and paid for by common folks like you and me, yet sending oneself to the moon or mars, well Elan may have a plan.

In either case, having a car to get away from people who may come after him, a truck for that matter, that is pretty much indestructible, with the exception of the glass, which could contain a person beating on it for their life from the inside to get out, would be a great thing. His question was probably this: what type of truck would get me 500 miles away from the hoards of angry desperate people and to my hideaway, where my “Boring Company” has dug me a shelter deep in the earth, starting in LA, then working its way to where the only access would be by an ATV? He probably thought, I can do that, I am wealthy beyond belief and people think if I dress cool, like in the movies, I will be cool.

I wonder what it must be like to be Elon Musk, well that is another question…

PS. I love my Chevy Bolt
That was about as disastrous as the Faraday Future unveil a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Scoff if you must, but I bet Tesla announces a very large number of reservations. I have one and I talked to a friend at the airport this morning (corporate pilot) who said he was talked into one by another pilot who's already an M3 owner and he has a reservation too. That's 3 right there.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I predict that the Cybertruck is the look of things to come. Not just from Tesla, but eventually, this look is going to be the design theme of all trucks in 10 years. Mark my words...

It is said that the base price is crazy low for an electric of that size. It’s the same price as a SR model 3. There must be something about those panels that makes it cheap to produce. The other truck makers will realize this and then what do you think will happen?
Agree with everything except this being the look of the future. Sharp edges are not aerodynamically efficient, and the design is too stark for most people. I suspect as you do that the form (or lack thereof) was driven by engineering and manufacturing goals which drive down the cost to produce and decrease the steps required to build the truck, and the number of failure points that can delay manufacturing, thus avoiding "manufacturing heII" 2.0.

The thing I like that Tesla has done on all vehicles is to minimize the grill as an aesthetic element. That's the opposite of current fad, and absolutely is the sign of things to come. I suspect in a few years all of the vehicles with enormous (mostly) faux grills will look silly and dated. It's an emphasis of inefficiency, since massive cooling is what is necessary when most of the fuel is wasted as heat, and grills represent inefficient drag from an aerodynamic perspective.

·
Registered
284 Posts
There is no “Great Wall of Grille” because there is no need for a huge radiator. And they’re not confined by convention.

I’m no aero-engineer, but a Tesla and efficiency go hand in hand. I expect Their truck to have a lower Cd than any existing truck and even Rivian. I wouldn’t say ‘It’s inefficient because of sharp edges” because I don’t have any data. So, let’s see how that pans out, why not?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My theory of the reason the windows shattered:
They were dropping steel balls of different sizes down the tube to show the glass strength on those tables. The fellow who threw the ball walked over and and was probably handed the largest ball by one of the actors, not realizing they had been testing it with the smaller less heavy small balls in practice sessions, oops.
Or maybe the scientific community will prove me wrong, just like my brothers would to do all the time.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
There is no “Great Wall of Grille” because there is no need for a huge radiator. And they’re not confined by convention.

I’m no aero-engineer, but a Tesla and efficiency go hand in hand. I expect Their truck to have a lower Cd than any existing truck and even Rivian. I wouldn’t say ‘It’s inefficient because of sharp edges” because I don’t have any data. So, let’s see how that pans out, why not?
Lack of need for a huge radiator has not been a sufficient reason for most manufacturers. Current fad is to emphasize the grill even if the necessity is small. I'd say no EV manufacturer is confined by convention because new EV designs are often wild departures from convention. Look at the i3, and heck, the Bolt even.

Here's the Bolt's unnecessary/faux grill:

Volt:

i3:

Spark:

Ionic:

...and my favorite monstrosity, the Lexus IS:

I’m no aero-engineer, but a Tesla and efficiency go hand in hand. I expect Their truck to have a lower Cd than any existing truck and even Rivian. I wouldn’t say ‘It’s inefficient because of sharp edges” because I don’t have any data.
No doubt the design will be much more aerodynamically efficient than conventional trucks, but sharp transitions are never more efficient. The thing to know about aerodynamics is laminar, or attached airflow, is everything. Sharp transitions don't give air time to conform to the shape of the vehicle, so flow separation (turbulence) occurs. Having a tonneau cover for the bed will drastically improve aerodynamics as the open box is a huge source of turbulence in conventional trucks. Again though, the ideal shape would be a curve rather than flat transition. That said, flat surfaces that conform to an efficient shape are better than not conforming to efficient shapes at all. The teardrop being the most efficient design.

As an aside, the reason golf balls are dimpled is that those pockets create a little turbulence that actually helps airflow to attach to the ball. The net effect is less overall aerodynamic drag resulting in longer distances.

They were dropping steel balls of different sizes down the tube to show the glass strength on those tables. The fellow who threw the ball walked over and and was probably handed the largest ball by one of the actors, not realizing they had been testing it with the smaller less heavy small balls in practice sessions, oops.
I wondered if they had even practiced this beforehand? The large plate glass flexed a whole lot to absorb the impact, but the smaller windows have less room to deflect and distribute the load. Hitting the glass in the middle would be crucial to distributing the load too. It's possible it's just prototype glass, and not the same stuff they used in the plate. I'm curious to hear what went wrong there. My guess is that Elon gives little preparation for these events and just didn't put in the rehearsal time required to ensure a smooth unveiling.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Or maybe the scientific community will prove me wrong, just like my brothers would to do all the time.

"user WhiskeySauer, who also happens to be a blast and ballistics research engineer who previously tested blast-proof glass for US embassies. The leading theory is that the repeated launches of the steel ball against the window led to microfractures, which compromised the glass leading to its ultimate shattering on stage."

·
Registered
275 Posts
Drag coefficient of the cybertruck is 0.36, I saw somewhere. New Dodge Ram with it's latest and greatest aero refinements - 0.49, IIRC.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
at impact from a 10 foot drop, the velocity is sqrt(2gd) = sqrt(2*32.2 ft/s^2*10ft)=25ft/s or 17 mph. An eight year old can throw a ball 40 mph. So guessing the throw was at least twice the velocity of the drop.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts