Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Laminated side glass is seldom used on any production car. That alone is a plus. The demo... usually such things are so staged as to be fake To prevent such incidents.

However, I predict some dumb youtubers will perform this test on their own trucks, breaking the glass in the same manner.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Well, Rivian certainly has nothing to worry about with the Cyber-dud. The Tesla "pickup" will mainly appeal to Tesla fan-boyz , and won't make much (if any) encroachment in America's heartland (i.e., traditional pickup buyers).

Personally, I think that a PHEV pickup is the best first step - the one likely to get the middle of America to buy EV pickups. A pickup that has a 45-mile electric range and a 400 mile range on gas would sell. Then, seeing how useful electric motors are to get out of the mud, with battery energy density going up and prices going down, in 5-10 years more pure EV pickups will be sold.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Rivian definitely has to worry. The Cybertruck has off-road capabilities, much cheaper, will have much longer range, will be vastly more efficient, and it will grow on people. Tesla gets free marketing and Rivian will be lucky to not go bankrupt unless Ford/Amazon buys them out.

·
Registered
977 Posts
"user WhiskeySauer, who also happens to be a blast and ballistics research engineer who previously tested blast-proof glass for US embassies. The leading theory is that the repeated launches of the steel ball against the window led to microfractures, which compromised the glass leading to its ultimate shattering on stage."

I agree with the micro fracture. Bullet proof glass will eventually give.

·
Registered
213 Posts
It is said that the base price is crazy low for an electric of that size. It’s the same price as a SR model 3. There must be something about those panels that makes it cheap to produce. The other truck makers will realize this and then what do you think will happen?
The 250 mile range base truck probably needs an 80-100 kWh battery. How much does that cost, leaving how much for the rest of the $40k truck?

·
Registered
181 Posts
The reality is that Tesla just needs to sell almost every Cyber Truck that is ordered. They don't need to sell F150 numbers.

It's okay for most truck owners to hate the look or for people like me to be indifferent.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Not surprising that 147,000 Tesla sheeple paid $100 for bragging rights. They could have shaped it like the Weinermobile with a drag coefficient of .85 and that many people would have reserved one! ;)

Mike

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
I will venture that the SUVs, and pickups, from legacy makers, will sell in the low hundreds a month. The Tesla truck may actually sell in the low thousands a month. None will have any significant impact on pollution, and resource depletion.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Not surprising that 147,000 Tesla sheeple paid $100 for bragging rights. They could have shaped it like the Weinermobile with a drag coefficient of .85 and that many people would have reserved one! ;)

Mike
You don’t need to insult the people who ordered one just because you don’t like the design or Tesla or whatever.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Well, Rivian certainly has nothing to worry about with the Cyber-dud. The Tesla "pickup" will mainly appeal to Tesla fan-boyz , and won't make much (if any) encroachment in America's heartland (i.e., traditional pickup buyers).

Personally, I think that a PHEV pickup is the best first step - the one likely to get the middle of America to buy EV pickups. A pickup that has a 45-mile electric range and a 400 mile range on gas would sell. Then, seeing how useful electric motors are to get out of the mud, with battery energy density going up and prices going down, in 5-10 years more pure EV pickups will be sold.
I think you'd be surprised how many non-Tesla fans are buying this truck. Do a search on social media and you'll find quite a few "outside the demographic" that have put down a deposit.
I don't know how many pre-orders the Rivian has and it will have a few years uncontested if they do hit their production release 1 year from now but I doubt they have 200,000 like the Cybertruck does.
I have a deposit for a Rivian for my company and I think it may be a better "work" truck if only because it can easily add a ladder rack which we need. But I also have a deposit for the Cybertruck for myself as I need a weekend warrior vehicle for hang gliding, road trips, hauling motorcycles, home improvement projects, etc that my model 3 falls short. IMG_0567.JPG
As much as the Rivian could do most of that, the Cybertruck does it better but comes with a host of advantages such as:
Supercharger network
Charging speed
Bulletproof
No rust
No paint
No dents
Air suspension
Built in air compressor
Built in ramp
Seats 6
Autopilot
FSD
The Rivian will take a hit but not as much as the Hummer EV which just became DOA.

·
Registered
275 Posts
As much as the Rivian could do most of that, the Cybertruck does it better but comes with a host of advantages such as:
Supercharger network
Charging speed
Bulletproof
No rust
No paint
No dents
Air suspension
Built in air compressor
Built in ramp
Seats 6
Autopilot
FSD
Nice list. Exceptions IMO
Bulletproof - there would be insane liability attached to any such claim. That will disappear from Tesla vocabulary, posthaste. Not that I have tried it, but I'm making an educated guess 1/8" of a 3 series stainless isn't going to stop much more than a 22 rimfire.
No rust - salt water will definitely promote corrosion of the less expensive, readily formable 3XX alloys. Will still have to wash the vehicle from time to time in winter.
FSD - On youtube there's a recent Cruise Automation presentation on Artificial Intelligence and AVs. Makes clear that this an extremely difficult problem, I liken it to controlled nuclear fusion. Would not plunk down $7000 upfront for something that may not happen within the lifetime of the vehicle. Or my lifetime considering I am now Medicare eligible.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts