Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Bulletproof - there would be insane liability attached to any such claim. That will disappear from Tesla vocabulary, posthaste. Not that I have tried it, but I'm making an educated guess 1/8" of a 3 series stainless isn't going to stop much more than a 22 rimfire.
Bullet resistant covers any stupid claims against them. Never believe the words out of Musk’s mouth or his tweets.

I will laugh if someone shoots their Cybertruck and punches a hole in it. (See my comment about stupid youtubers testing the glass above.)

This article claims it is 3mm thick Or about 0.120”. Very close to your 1/8” estimate.

No rust - salt water will definitely promote corrosion of the less expensive, readily formable 3XX alloys. Will still have to wash the vehicle from time to time in winter.
Still beats paint On steel.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
The 250 mile range base truck probably needs an 80-100 kWh battery. How much does that cost, leaving how much for the rest of the $40k truck?
My estimate was a 100 kWh battery for the "low range" option. Tesla might be at $100/kWh in 2 years when they start production, so $10k for the battery alone. That leaves $30k for the rest of the truck, and of course, nobody will be buying the base version. Maybe Tesla will make people order the base via telephone like they do with the Model 3.

The 500 mile truck will have something like a 200 kWh battery.

I don't think it's insulting. It's just brand loyalty.
Your claim is that the truck offers nothing that reasonable people would want, except a nameplate. That's simply not so. Those specs are very good, and the aerodynamics alone is quite an accomplishment. If I were the type to buy new/expensive vehicles, I'd consider the truck despite the atrocious appearance and indifference for the nameplate.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Okay guys. Knock off the Tesla hating. The M3 was my first choice and still remains my first choice. However I got my Bolt because I couldn’t afford the M3 and the Bolt is a compromise.
That said.....the Cybertruck is a vast difference from what we are used to. That doesn’t mean it’s a bad thing....just different.
So let’s do the SMART thing and wait until it is actually in the public and see what it is capable of. Hating something before it is even out is incredibly stupid. Be more open minded and give it a chance.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
My estimate was a 100 kWh battery for the "low range" option. Tesla might be at $100/kWh in 2 years when they start production, so $10k for the battery alone. That leaves $30k for the rest of the truck, and of course, nobody will be buying the base version. Maybe Tesla will make people order the base via telephone like they do with the Model 3.
With dry electrodes and who knows what additional improvements will be announced on Battery Investor Day. I was not expecting a $40K starting price. Tesla may indeed have seen a path to $100/KWh within 2 years.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Why not get a the volume discount on your battery.. like shopping at costco.

The truck's body has aero which is probably much better than any other pickup, which yes isn't saying much. But that will be proven or unproven in time. If this thing gets built. The little pointy roof peak is the part that lies outside of the ideal, but its probably necessary for whole "cyber" styling so it wont be the "ecotruck." Which marketing wise would be a nightmare.

·
Registered
237 Posts
TR7, the shape of things to come. Remember the wedge from 1975? We just didn't know how long the wait was to be. Nearly half a century.
Just returned from the LA Auto Show. I saw two concept cars from different manufacturers with either a) extremely sharp angles on the side panels or b) a triangular looking roof line. Standing in front of the second such concept car, I commented to another observer, "And just a few days ago they were scoffing at Elon Musk for the shape of his new truck."

·
Registered
213 Posts
The truck's body has aero which is probably much better than any other pickup, which yes isn't saying much.
The general shape from a side view does resemble that of a second or third generation Prius, whose shape was presumably designed with aerodynamics in mind.

·
Registered
872 Posts
The Cybertruck may not be great for towing long distances, but for a city truck you won't be able to beat it. For $40,000 the truck cost is about the same for a supercab and 6.5 ft bed. You will also save about $10,000 or more for 100,000 miles of city driving. If I towed huge trailers or boats long distances, I probably wouldn't get it. However for short towing, commuting, and home depot runs it can't be beat.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The truck's body has aero which is probably much better than any other pickup, which yes isn't saying much.
Cybertruck Cd 0.36, new Ram 1500 0.49 for comparison. Considering the Bolt is 0.31, the CT isn't so bad for a vastly more versatile vehicle.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Cybertruck Cd 0.36, new Ram 1500 0.49 for comparison. Considering the Bolt is 0.31, the CT isn't so bad for a vastly more versatile vehicle.
Where is that figure coming from?

There's another guy that used CFD and came up with a 0.48 Cd. Keep in mind the prototype we saw didn't have mirrors and cameras on it yet.

https://airshaper.com/assets/reports/AirShaper_sample_report_-_tesla_cybertruck.pdf

My guess based on nothing but speculation is that the real figure will be somewhere between 0.36 and 0.48.

·
Registered
275 Posts
So Elon says that with "extreme effort" the CT could have a Cd as low as 0.30.
Ram 1500 to get 0.357 requires some effort too:
Quad Cab
4X2
Active Air Suspension (optional)
Tubular Side Steps (optional)
Hard Tonneau cover (optional)

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Sure, but they aren't going to put in "extreme effort" because that is code for "more expensive" and "less aesthetically pleasing".

You want to drive this thing, because this is what "extreme effort" produces:

There's zero chance the truck will have a 0.30 Cd from the factory. That said, I hope it's still much better than a conventional truck.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Exactly^ that right there is why we have a CYBERTRRUK. I mean, even though a Tesla AEROTRUCK could look better than that pic, no getting around the fact that an eco image doesn't market well with the macho pickup segment.

I'll hold off judgement on the cyber shape until I see solid numbers but I don't think it would take much to be the best aero of all the pickups. Half your battle is the tail.. and that half doesn't look too bad.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Sure, but they aren't going to put in "extreme effort" because that is code for "more expensive" and "less aesthetically pleasing".
Yeah! Who would want to drive something like this,

or this?

I mean they are hideous, like a bird or a fish, not beautiful like a dumpster.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Meanwhile we are having some fun over at the cybertruck forum.
cybertruck-6r2.jpg

·
Registered
213 Posts
Current Teslas have their charge ports on the left rear, so owners back into the Tesla charger spots. It looks like a small door visible behind the left rear wheel is for a charge port on the Cybertruck.

But that might not work so well for a Cybertruck driver who needs a recharge while a towing a trailer. Recharging may require disconnecting the trailer and reconnecting it afterward, parking head-in (with the trailer sticking out) and hoping that the charge cable is long enough, parking perpendicular to the parking spaces, blocking several of them from being used by others, or hoping that the row of Tesla chargers has enough space at the end of the row for the truck and trailer to park without blocking anyone else but be in reach of a charge cable.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Current Teslas have their charge ports on the left rear, so owners back into the Tesla charger spots. It looks like a small door visible behind the left rear wheel is for a charge port on the Cybertruck.

But that might not work so well for a Cybertruck driver who needs a recharge while a towing a trailer. Recharging may require disconnecting the trailer and reconnecting it afterward, parking head-in (with the trailer sticking out) and hoping that the charge cable is long enough, parking perpendicular to the parking spaces, blocking several of them from being used by others, or hoping that the row of Tesla chargers has enough space at the end of the row for the truck and trailer to park without blocking anyone else but be in reach of a charge cable.
I'm not 100% certain but I had heard that it has another charging port on the right side similar to Porsche Taycan. The only reason I can think is that that when 2 side by side kiosks are available, you could plug into both which would be a significant time saver for the 500 mile range tri-motor, especially with V3. Assuming 250kW per, 10%-80% in 30 minutes assuming straight line taper.
That would be about 700 mph average charging speed. Could peak at 2000 mph based on mine getting 600 mph on 147kW V2.
To your point on towing, it's a hassle. Tesla Bjorn has a few videos of his trailering expeditions in Norway and if the Supercharger is empty, no problem, he pulls up parallel with the kiosks. I have seen a few stations though that have a side accessed kiosk (like a gas station) which if the trailer does not impede traffic will work, That may be why they do them.
Salamanca, NY and Freeport, Me. have them if I remember correctly.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts