Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
2017 EV Bolt Artic Blue
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Waiting at a dead stop for a light to change, got rear ended by a white dodge sedan. I cried out, my glasses fell off my face, then silence. I bumped the car in front of me as well. I put my hazard lights on, turned off the car and got out. We agreed to get out of traffic and park in a church lot adjacent to the road. Called 911, police report was made, and now, in the clear light of day, was able to take some decent photos.
Anyone care to advise me on damage?
Hood Automotive lighting Grille Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Automotive parking light Tire Grille Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting
Automotive parking light Tire Grille Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting
Automotive tire Car Hood Tire Automotive lighting
Automotive tire Car Hood Tire Automotive lighting

Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
Automotive parking light Tire Automotive tail & brake light Land vehicle Wheel
Automotive parking light Tire Automotive tail & brake light Land vehicle Wheel

· Registered
2017 EV Bolt Artic Blue
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It rides fine, turned the radio off to listen for any strange noises. Once we were released by the Officer, when I put it in reverse, I could hear something scraping, but I haven't heard it since. I am really concerned about the black housing that has dropped. I will be taking it to the dealership tomorrow for an assessment.

· Registered
239 Posts
if you haven't already called your insurance company, you might want to get on that. It's a good sign that it drives, but lots of times you do want to repair damage from that type of accident (been rear ended at a stop, although in an ICE car, at least 4 times), and it can be pricey. Best of luck.

· Registered
730 Posts
My son just had less of a rear end than the above. The protection mechanisms/shock absorption was activated.
It can only be done once, and is then considered ruined.

Thus, my son's car, which looked unhit, was assessed at two locations as being $8500 minimum.

· Registered
192 Posts
Ask your insurance company or friends for recommendations of body shops.

Sounds like the other driver that hit you. You get to pick your body shop. They get to pay.

Also, the vehicle in front of you may file a claim against your insurance since you hit the back of them. You might end up having to pay for the front damage to your Bolt.

Depends on how the police report was filled out.

· Registered
2017 EV Bolt Artic Blue
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Police report is unavailable until tomorrow. I've filed a claim with my insurance. The car ahead of me appeared to have no damage, but that was in almost complete darkness, using our flashlight phones on a black vehicle.

· Registered
2017 EV Bolt Artic Blue
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd go straight to the forums and figure out what the forums can do for you...

Oh...
Was reading them well into the night after I got home. Commuting on behalf of my second job, so I had to file a worker's comp precautionary report and vehicle incident report with them. Don't know what they'll actually do for me. The forums are pretty dire about the aluminum frame and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my frame is unbent.

· Registered
51 Posts
I'm no expert, so throw this advice right in the trash can after you're done reading.

There are three possible things you could be worried about:
1. Damage to the big, scary battery. But in your case I highly doubt it.
2. Damage to the rear suspension. Again, I doubt it.
3. Damage to cameras, sensors, and other nanny functions. Check these out, see what no longer works.

I'd say the car is fine to drive. As someone else pointed out, that rear bumper is meant to be used once, and you have. Of course it'll cost a small fortune to fix.

As others have mentioned, check with your insurance company and see what your favorite body shop says.

Years ago I hit a deer and did a lot of damage. I didn't think I was covered because I had the least possible insurance protection as I owned the car outright. A month later, after saying, "what the ****," I called the insurance company. Turns out, the insurance company paid to fix my car. This convinced me I have no idea how insurance works.

· Registered
2021Bolt to 2022EUV
1,450 Posts
The bumper in front has foam, any impact there may require replacing that foam. I don’t see a front end pic.

The rear bumper has no foam. It’s easy to look undeneath and see if the real bumper, the tube, is bent. This is not part of the frame. I will bet the scratching is the cosmetic cover for bumper rubbing or loose screws. This happened to me.

· Registered
2 Posts
Honestly, from the pics you've posted, those don't look that bad.

That said, you didn't say how fast the car that hit you was going. Bumpers are made to take shocks up to like 20MPH or so depending on the construction. I'd guess likely the bumper cover and the rear hatch metal will need to be replaced (and painted, etc.). Call your insurance and tell them what happened. They will unfortuatnely decide fault these days, but unless the officer wrote it specifically that you were at fault, it's likely to be the guy who hit you's problem for both your car and the one in front of you.

Call you local Chevy dealer and inquire about body shops that work on Chevy's. They will usually have several good recommendations, or maybe even a body shop of their own. The insurance will send out an adjuster (or have you upload pictures using their app depending on your insurance) and they will make a determination of what needs to be replaced, etc.

You can possibly also take it to the dealer or a body shop and have them assess if the car is okay to drive while they are getting all the parts, etc. etc. togehter. Or if you have a rental car provision your insurnace can set you up with a rental as well.

· Registered
2017 Chevrolt Bolt EV
1,627 Posts
I had similiar and was quoted $3,800 ..paid to the body shop. I just dealed for $2800 -to me and applied it to my loan. He hit me as I was parked at a light and had video of it, so process was quick

· Registered
261 Posts
It looks pretty minor to me but still a bit expensive, especially because you have parking sensors on the bumper. The easily replaced aluminum bumper inside might be slightly bent. Here is a photo of one much worse to show you what is under the cover.
Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

· Registered
2017 EV Bolt Artic Blue
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm no expert, so throw this advice right in the trash can after you're done reading.

There are three possible things you could be worried about:
1. Damage to the big, scary battery. But in your case I highly doubt it.
2. Damage to the rear suspension. Again, I doubt it.
3. Damage to cameras, sensors, and other nanny functions. Check these out, see what no longer works.

I'd say the car is fine to drive. As someone else pointed out, that rear bumper is meant to be used once, and you have. Of course it'll cost a small fortune to fix.

As others have mentioned, check with your insurance company and see what your favorite body shop says.

Years ago I hit a deer and did a lot of damage. I didn't think I was covered because I had the least possible insurance protection as I owned the car outright. A month later, after saying, "what the ****," I called the insurance company. Turns out, the insurance company paid to fix my car. This convinced me I have no idea how insurance works.
I drove it today doing my Frito Lay route job. I throw chips on displays at three different grocery stores, each one is about 10-12 miles apart. If I didn't know the damage was there, I certainly can't tell when driving it. Back up camera works, the blind spot indicators work. Hatch door is easy to open and nothing is falling off the car. So, I guess I'm not too bad.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts