Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

· Registered
2017 EV Bolt Artic Blue
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The bumper in front has foam, any impact there may require replacing that foam. I don’t see a front end pic.

The rear bumper has no foam. It’s easy to look undeneath and see if the real bumper, the tube, is bent. This is not part of the frame. I will bet the scratching is the cosmetic cover for bumper rubbing or loose screws. This happened to me.
I didn't think I had any damage to the front, but once I was out in the daylight in the parking lot of one of my stores, I could see the front fiberglass grill is cracked. I guess the car in front of me could have some damage as well, but it was really dark with no parking lot lights overhead.
Automotive parking light Grille Automotive lighting Hood Car

· Registered
37 Posts
You can also have the vehicle evaluated for diminished value. It will cost for the estimate but it's worth it.
My wife was rear ended sitting at a stop light by an idiot on the phone. Her Subaru took the hit ( and it was a mess under there too) and is still on the road. We took the car to a body shop that handles 6 and 7 figure vehicles, perfect! We also did the diminished value. The guys insurance company bitched and moaned but it was "pay up or we go to court". Magic words especially when it was admitted the other driver was on the phone.

Good luck.

· Registered
2017 EV Bolt Artic Blue
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Finally got the police report and the guy who hit me, and forced me to hit the car ahead of me, has NO insurance. Great. This really sucks.
On a brighter note, went to the dealership and they recommended an EV certified collision repair place about 10 minutes from my house. The tech did a thorough look-see at the car and noticed things I had not before. He says the frame appears fine, the aluminum bar is curved, so that's toast. He says there is a noticeable misalignment of the vehicle. The passenger side appears higher and more pushed in. My back seats are now slightly angled, which I hadn't noticed before. Both back seats were down, as I had earlier transported some firewood. The driver's side back seat will lock into place, but the passenger back seat is higher and the latch and socket won't match up now. He tells me that once he gets the car in the shop, taken apart and laser measured to see how far off the alignment is, he can't say for sure how bad the damage is. He does say that once it gets into the shop (sometime in MARCH if all the parts show up), they'll be able to work on it fairly quickly--provided they don't find something else that they'll have to order, then wait for weeks/months to arrive. Once it's taken apart, I won't get the car back until it's completely repaired. That's when the car rental kicks in.
For now, I'll be driving the Bolt until I can't. I guess that's something.

· Registered
425 Posts
Finally got the police report and the guy who hit me, and forced me to hit the car ahead of me, has NO insurance. Great. This really sucks.
On a brighter note, went to the dealership and they recommended an EV certified collision repair place about 10 minutes from my house. The tech did a thorough look-see at the car and noticed things I had not before. He says the frame appears fine, the aluminum bar is curved, so that's toast. He says there is a noticeable misalignment of the vehicle. The passenger side appears higher and more pushed in. My back seats are now slightly angled, which I hadn't noticed before. Both back seats were down, as I had earlier transported some firewood. The driver's side back seat will lock into place, but the passenger back seat is higher and the latch and socket won't match up now. He tells me that once he gets the car in the shop, taken apart and laser measured to see how far off the alignment is, he can't say for sure how bad the damage is. He does say that once it gets into the shop (sometime in MARCH if all the parts show up), they'll be able to work on it fairly quickly--provided they don't find something else that they'll have to order, then wait for weeks/months to arrive. Once it's taken apart, I won't get the car back until it's completely repaired. That's when the car rental kicks in.
Wow sorry for that. How can someone drive with no insurance? not familiar with US laws but here in Canada you can't and Thank god (well they could but it would be a felony). Thanks for keeping us updated and I wish you best luck

· Registered
2017 EV Bolt Artic Blue
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Wow sorry for that. How can someone drive with no insurance? not familiar with US laws but here in Canada you can't and Thank god (well they could but it would be a felony). Thanks for keeping us updated and I wish you best luck
In the US, individual states dictate insurance mandates. In Illinois, Collision insurance is required. The driver who hit me is from Minnesota. I don't know what the laws are there about insurance. He has a court date back in Illinois on March 9th. Debating whether to attend..... There's really nothing I can do about his lack of insurance, other than to sue. Problem is: if he didn't have money for insurance, he's not likely to have any significant assets to win over. Can't get blood from a stone. I'll speak with the claims person tomorrow about the other driver's lack of insurance and kick in my insurance for uninsured driver damages.

· Registered
8,530 Posts
I was going to say that replacing the "pass" stickers would be an improvement. Then I scrolled down and saw "you shall not pass" and chuckled.

Guess the guy that hit you saw that as a challenge.

There's no collision no matter how minor that isn't at least a thousand bucks these days. I'll just go on record at $3,500 for my guess.

· Registered
225 Posts
I've been in a bunch of accidents, and it can be surprising what turns out to have been damaged. Good luck for an easy repair. It's really nice you have an EV-certified body shop so close to your home. Hope your parts come in soon, and you are back on the road in fine fettle in short order.

· Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
5,414 Posts
I was going to say that replacing the "pass" stickers would be an improvement. Then I scrolled down and saw "you shall not pass" and chuckled.

Guess the guy that hit you saw that as a challenge.

There's no collision no matter how minor that isn't at least a thousand bucks these days. I'll just go on record at $3,500 for my guess.
I'm gonne say $5k. For anyone who guesses $5,001...you suck! :p

· Registered
2017 EV Bolt Artic Blue
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I've been in a bunch of accidents, and it can be surprising what turns out to have been damaged. Good luck for an easy repair. It's really nice you have an EV-certified body shop so close to your home. Hope your parts come in soon, and you are back on the road in fine fettle in short order.
I couldn't believe my luck in that shop being so close. I thought for sure I'd be traveling up to Chicago or one of the northern suburbs that charge top dollar. This shop takes care of high end vehicles and I guess my dealership, (which claims to be the largest in the south suburban area) partnered up with them for body work on the EVs, as they already had personnel on site that specialize in corvettes.

· Registered
75 Posts
“and forced me to hit the car ahead of me”
Rose, they didn’t force you to hit the car in front of you. You are at fault by not allowing enough space between your car and the one in front.

· Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
5,320 Posts
“and forced me to hit the car ahead of me”
Rose, they didn’t force you to hit the car in front of you. You are at fault by not allowing enough space between your car and the one in front.
This is debatable. The middle driver may have left plenty of space in front, but if the rear vehicle is large enough and moving fast enough at the moment of impact, it would still cause a collision with the front vehicle. Physics always wins.

Imagine a tiny Honda Fit being hit from behind by a fully loaded double-trailer semi traveling at 50 mph. How much space would be "enough space" to avoid hitting another car in front? By your theory of liability, even if the semi pushed the Fit 500 feet, the Fit's driver would be at fault for "not allowing enough space" to the car in front.

· Registered
2017 Bolt LT
1,154 Posts
This is debatable. The middle driver may have left plenty of space in front, but if the rear vehicle is large enough and moving fast enough at the moment of impact, it would still cause a collision with the front vehicle. Physics always wins.

Imagine a tiny Honda Fit being hit from behind by a fully loaded double-trailer semi traveling at 50 mph. How much space would be "enough space" to avoid hitting another car in front? By your theory of liability, even if the semi pushed the Fit 500 feet, the Fit's driver would be at fault for "not allowing enough space" to the car in front.
It's not debatable in California. Yes, somebody hit you. But you hit the car in front of you. End of subject. You now have a fault accident on your record for the next 7 years.

Reference: it happened to me when a drunk in a Camry hit my stopped Corolla at a red light at 45 mph and pushed it with locked brakes into a minivan. Folded the Corolla. Luckily, injuries minor. The accident was the fault of the drunk. The collision between me and the minivan was my fault. Because both the minivan driver and I had AAA, they waived the deductible...

· Registered
8,530 Posts
It's not debatable in California. Yes, somebody hit you. But you hit the car in front of you. End of subject. You now have a fault accident on your record for the next 7 years.

Reference: it happened to me when a drunk in a Camry hit my stopped Corolla at a red light at 45 mph and pushed it with locked brakes into a minivan. Folded the Corolla. Luckily, injuries minor. The accident was the fault of the drunk. The collision between me and the minivan was my fault. Because both the minivan driver and I had AAA, they waived the deductible...
Not how it works in Oregon. The at fault driver is the one that caused the accident.

My wife hit a cop in PDX... because the driver behind rammed her stopped car into the cruiser ahead. 100% of the fault was attributed to the person that hit her.

· Registered
33 Posts
My rear-ender was similar and cost the other guys insurance $7K. My dealership body shop said the batteries are usually never affected in the rear because they are in front of the rear axle. But the cross-body panel and the round storage area were seriously damaged. The body guy says that can affect alignment in all directions, but he said they would make it right. My PI attorney is going after “loss of value” in the settlement. I would then trade it in if a new one was available. Probably out of luck on that plan.
My vehicle was pushed into the car ahead of me, interesting to hear of others report issues. Located in GA. Will monitor my DMV and CLUE reports. Google CLUE if unfamiliar.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts