Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Bolt owner, who wants to carry a few items for roadside use and charging in the wild.

I don't want to buy a cargo floor, b/c it will eat into my cargo space. What I want to do is remove the stupid styrofoam carrier from the compact spare well. I know @V7i7c has done this.

My issue is that the styrofoam is structural....unlike other cars that have a Masonite board under the cargo carpet, the Bolt has a sheet of lousy styrofoam. Of course, it would be structurally insufficient, so it rests on the styrofoam block underneath, and interlocks with it.

So, if I remove the block, now a heavy suitcase will cave in the styrofoam sheet...which also takes up some space.

My plan...remove ALL the styrofoam, and cut a sheet of 1/4" masonite to fit as a proper (structurally sufficient) cargo floor. Cost: $10.

Then use the couple cu ft under there to carry the stock EVSE plus also my multiple 240V adapters, a small air pump (so I can top off the tires on the road), and a suitable HD extension cord (to reach dryer plugs), and a couple other compact sundries like a tire plug kit (useful on snow tires) and tool kit. While leaving the cargo space maximally large, with a flat stable and uncluttered floor.

Anyone else do this already??

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Yes; I had de-styrofoamed my baby Prius in a similar way before, so it was almost a routine process.

I had an IKEA door that was almost the needed size. I only had to saw off the corners and glued some felt pucks here and there around the perimeter on the bottom side of it so it would be cushioned and not rattle.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
I did it as soon as we got the car. Used a piece of blue styrofoam instead of Dimitrij's door panel. Put another piece of the same foam vertically, front-to-back, bisecting the hole. Has supported anything, including huge bags of bird feed, so far.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is held in the wheel well by a large bolt right in the center of the foam block. The bolt has a big black plastic knob attached.
Indeed, looks pretty easy to insert and remove.

Re my masonite board plan...there is no support at the stern end, so I will need to provide something, not unlike your bisector.

I am thinking of a foam block of some sort, ironically.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Just a thought about the cargo floor - it creates a very nearly flat surface with the rear seats folded down, and there’s plenty of room under the cargo floor to store lots of stuff. I find storing tools, etc under the cargo floor to be very handy, and the floor tilts up at about 45 degrees into notches in the brackets, which allows easy access for anything underneath.

It’s a lot more convenient than the lower storage area which houses the 110v charge cord.

It’s kind of pricy at about $150, but I think it’s worth it for the added convenience and utility. Also, it’s very easy to add, it took about five minutes to screw on the two side brackets, the cargo shelf just slides on top of the brackets.

·
Registered
989 Posts
If you don't have the Bose Audio option, you can remove it without an issue.
The Bose sub-woofer resides under it in my car. It would be easy to add a divider to
have the secondary floor panel rest on top and keep it from sagging due to cargo weight.

Even a simple X brace would suffice and you can store stuff inside the braces compartments.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Any more comments? Better bracing ideas?

I got the styrofoam out and have placed a tow hook in the glove box. Totally ditched the inflation devices for the tires. Currently have the false floor on it's supports, although it does fit flat over what would be the spare tire hole. Thinking 1/2" plywood for the sub-floor to replace the useless factory sheet and leaving false floor up on it's rails.

·
Registered
574 Posts
If you use an extension cord, be sure to get the ones for use with welders: rated at 40 amps. Most of the wimpy RV cords can't handle that level of current. Yeah, they are expensive: copper costs money.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I ended up doing a mix of the ideas. I removed the top styrofoam then cut approximately 8 inches off each side of the bottom Styrofoam, but left the middle where it can bolt into the floor. I used a $10 3/16” board to cover the area and cut it to size. The middle bottom styrofoam provides structural support to the 3/16" board. I store a small air compressor, charger, and a few other miscellaneous odds and ends on the sides that were cut out of the styrofoam.

It doesn’t recover all the space, but enough for me to get everything I wanted below the floor and still have structural support in the middle.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I removed the styrofoam and replaced it with a piece of 1/4 inch plywood. It seems to be strong enough and it also seems that the woofer on the Bose system is a little louder. Has anyone experienced improvement in the base sound when removing the styrofoam? More room and better sound seem to be a good combination.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts