Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I took my Bolt for a drive in the late morning on a curved road with the sun shinning down. The reflections off the flat dash board up into the sloped window which reflected directly into the driver’s eyes was extreme. I would say hazardous. The interior trim on my Bolt is Light Ash Gray, Ceramic White, and Perforated Leather. The dash board is Light Ash Gray and that reflects significant light. I have attached a photo showing the color scheme. Almost every car I looked at in Berkeley today uses a much dark, less shiny surface for the dashboard, for obvious reasons.
What was Chevy thinking? This is beyond disappointing. If you are ordering one, there must be a better color scheme. I would not have bought this if I had been aware of this issue.

In the photo, you can see the contrast between the mat black steering wheel and the light dashboard. The long sloped windshield makes an excellent mirror for the reflected light off the dashboard. Buyers beware.

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
What I would do is figure out where a minor modification can be done without affecting the airbags and have a shop put a piece of matte vinyl or leather down. I agree on the safety issue. A qualified shop could also remove the dash panel and paint it.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
What I would do is figure out where a minor modification can be done without affecting the airbags and have a shop put a piece of matte vinyl or leather down. I agree on the safety issue. A qualified shop could also remove the dash panel and paint it.
Nice solution suggestion.
Drop the snide comment next time, got it?

·
Registered
368 Posts
I originally ordered a Ceramic White/Light Ash Bolt, and canceled for exactly this reason. You can see on the chevy website (if you look closely) that the dash for this leather color combo is much lighter than for the other colors. I liked the idea of light colored seats, to minimize heat in southern California, but was concerned the dash glare would be annoying-to-dangerous.

I'm glad I switched to the dark gray interior, and sorry that you and others have this problem. If you really find it unsafe, I'd agree you should do something about it.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I originally ordered a Ceramic White/Light Ash Bolt, and canceled for exactly this reason. You can see on the chevy website (if you look closely) that the dash for this leather color combo is much lighter than for the other colors. I liked the idea of light colored seats, to minimize heat in southern California, but was concerned the dash glare would be annoying-to-dangerous.

I'm glad I switched to the dark gray interior, and sorry that you and others have this problem. If you really find it unsafe, I'd agree you should do something about it.
Interesting that you caught the problem in time. At least it is not just me. I am sure there are solutions, but I still wonder about how they came up with that light color in that location. Maybe polaroid sunglasses will work if the reflections are strongly polarized.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Thanks, it might be that polaroid sunglasses will work.
Yeah, polarizing sunglasses are the way to go. The angle of the windshield is usually just about exactly right to catch the maximum polarization of the reflection which the sunglasses can then almost completely eliminate. I use them all the time in sunny weather for that reason, and also to eliminate most of the glare from sunlight reflecting off asphalt.

·
Super Moderator
787 Posts
Thanks, it might be that polaroid sunglasses will work.
Hopefully the polarized glasses won't cause visibility problems with the LCD displays. The LCD displays in my 2005 and 2012
Prii would get washed out if I tilted my head in the wrong direction.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Have similar problem in my 2016 Volt. Was especially bad when took to car wash and they used the interior protectant with a high sheen on the dash. Reflections were terrible. They are there pretty much all the time, but my brain has learned to ignore them, and am only aware of them when thinking about it anymore. But, do believe that my two tone dash is a bad design, and darker dash color is smarter. And, whenever I go to the car wash, I tell them just to wipe the dash clean with a damp cloth only...no shiny protectant chemicals. Have not tried the polarized glasses, but bet that would work on my Volt also.

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
Hopefully the polarized glasses won't cause visibility problems with the LCD displays. The LCD displays in my 2005 and 2012
I use polarized sunglasses and this will likely be an issue in the Bolt, but it's not unmanageable usually, just annoying.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will have to test the LCD displays for that. Certainly I know it messes up by view of my Nikon 7200, my Canon XA20 video camera and other screens.

I am thinking of a black mat cloth like cover that can be easily attached and removed. Have to check to see if there is steel close enough to the surface that would allow using rare earth magnets to hold it in place.

A major reason I posted this is to hopefully let future buyers avoid this interior trim combination.

My guess is Chevy may get other feedback and fix future versions.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yah, my first thought was some matte black spray paint, but that is a little extreme. I will cut a pattern out of some black art paper and see if that resolves it as a test. Just surprised that with all the engineering and thought that went into this car, someone didn't decide it was a really bad choice. Maybe they don't have enough sunny days in Detroit.

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
I will have to test the LCD displays for that. Certainly I know it messes up by view of my Nikon 7200, my Canon XA20 video camera and other screens.

I am thinking of a black mat cloth like cover that can be easily attached and removed. Have to check to see if there is steel close enough to the surface that would allow using rare earth magnets to hold it in place.

A major reason I posted this is to hopefully let future buyers avoid this interior trim combination.

My guess is Chevy may get other feedback and fix future versions.
I don't think there is any choice in the dash color. If you order a Premier, you have options for the seat colors, but I don't think there is any change in the dash. I believe that all Bolts have the same dash. Maybe somebody who got a Premier with the all Dark Galvanized Grey interior and see if there is a change in dash color. The Bolt build site doesn't seem to indicate that.

Might want to be careful with those magnets too close to the displays. I also wonder there the computer that controls all the features is located? Strong magnets can cause interference sometimes.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I use polarized sunglasses and this will likely be an issue in the Bolt, but it's not unmanageable usually, just annoying.
Apparently not. In my old car, polarized lenses would make my dash displays turn completely black at certain angles. I tried the same glasses, spun them around 360 degrees in the Bolt driver's seat, and saw no darkening of the big center display whatsoever. The smaller display behind the steering wheel did darken, but only when I held the sunglasses directly vertical (which of course would never happen while I drive). Not sure exactly how the physics of this all works, but the bottom line is the displays have no problem with polarized lenses, at least some polarized lenses, which is nice.

Doesn't everyone wear polarized sunglasses while driving?:confused:

·
Registered
368 Posts
I believe that all Bolts have the same dash.
They do not. If you select a Premier with the white/grey interior, you get a lighter colored grey dash. Every other Bolt has the dark grey dash. You can see this clearly on the Bolt's build&price portion of chevrolet.com.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update on Dash Board Design Fail

Update on Dash Board Design Fail
I tried two solutions.
1. Polarized sunglasses. These do a good job on reducing the dashboard reflecting off the windshield into the drivers eye. The screens in the Bolt console and driver’s screen do not darken appreciably and the light from the screens is not polarized. Still the sunglasses make it a little more difficult to see the data clearly.
2. I laid black art paper on the driver’s side of the dashboard and this was very effective in reducing the light reflected of the window. I admit this is not rocket science, it is very obvious. So long term a black dash cover would be the best solution. I am attaching to photos showing the driver’s view with with the black poster paper and without. Notice with the black poster paper on the dash that the objects in the garage are visible, without you only see the gray dash board.

Attachments

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They do not. If you select a Premier with the white/grey interior, you get a lighter colored grey dash. Every other Bolt has the dark grey dash. You can see this clearly on the Bolt's build&price portion of chevrolet.com.
If they all had this light gray dash board, we would have heard about it already. Almost every other American and foreign car that I checked has very dark gray to black dash.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If they all had this light gray dash board, we would have heard about it already. Almost every other American and foreign car that I checked has very dark gray to black dash.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts