Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
21 - 40 of 107 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,580 Posts
They do not. If you select a Premier with the white/grey interior, you get a lighter colored grey dash. Every other Bolt has the dark grey dash. You can see this clearly on the Bolt's build&price portion of chevrolet.com.
I must not be seeing the same build site as you are. I see no option for white and when I change between the only two choices for interior color, the dash color does not change. Here's what I'm looking at-

http://www.chevrolet.com/bolt-ev-electric-vehicle/build-your-own.html#/color

·
Super Moderator
2,580 Posts
If they all had this light gray dash board, we would have heard about it already. Almost every other American and foreign car that I checked has very dark gray to black dash.
Check a little harder. Light grey used to be ubiquitous. Particularly back in the '90's. The 2001 Ford Focus I'm driving now has the same light grey and the '95 Ford Aspire I used to have had the same. The 2006 Pontiac Solstice was available in the same grey, but I chose black on that one.

Lots of cars form many manufacturers have used the light grey because it goes with all exterior colors and it looks light, fresh and more spacious than the black hole created by black interiors. The difference with the Bolt is likely not so much the color but the surface area and angle relative to the driver's eye and the windshield. It seems quite large in area and flat horizontally.

A quality custom shop should be able to change the color for you without too much expense if it really continues to be a problem for you. Painting of the interior plastics is done all the time now and they have some very good paints that won't peel, or flake off. It would look factory correct when done as long as you choose a good harmonious color.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I must not be seeing the same build site as you are. I see no option for white and when I change between the only two choices for interior color, the dash color does not change. Here's what I'm looking at-

http://www.chevrolet.com/bolt-ev-electric-vehicle/build-your-own.html#/color
Same build site. Check again. You need to select the Premier Trim, and an exterior color other than Arctic Blue or Silver Ice. There are 3 leather interior colors, and the White/Grey comes with a lighter colored dash and interior trim.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Check a little harder. Light grey used to be ubiquitous. Particularly back in the '90's. The 2001 Ford Focus I'm driving now has the same light grey and the '95 Ford Aspire I used to have had the same. The 2006 Pontiac Solstice was available in the same grey, but I chose black on that one.

Lots of cars form many manufacturers have used the light grey because it goes with all exterior colors and it looks light, fresh and more spacious than the black hole created by black interiors. The difference with the Bolt is likely not so much the color but the surface area and angle relative to the driver's eye and the windshield. It seems quite large in area and flat horizontally.

A quality custom shop should be able to change the color for you without too much expense if it really continues to be a problem for you. Painting of the interior plastics is done all the time now and they have some very good paints that won't peel, or flake off. It would look factory correct when done as long as you choose a good harmonious color.
Thanks, that might be the best long term solution.

·
Super Moderator
2,580 Posts
Same build site. Check again. You need to select the Premier Trim, and an exterior color other than Arctic Blue or Silver Ice. There are 3 leather interior colors, and the White/Grey comes with a lighter colored dash and interior trim.
Oh, OK. Got it. I find it strange the way they don't allow you all the options in every color. The same with the grills.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I agree sunglasses work, but that doesn't excuse Chevy. I am still looking for a third party dash cover. I have a black art paper overlay on the dash and it eliminates the problem, but looks bad. The dash is so deep and the angle of the window so shallow, that it makes the light gray dash unacceptable.
Here is what I posted a day after taking delivery. I have tried to contact Chevrolet, no help.

When I took my Bolt for a drive in the late morning on a curved road with the sun shinning down. The reflections off the flat dash board up into the sloped window which reflected directly into the driver’s eyes was extreme. I would say hazardous. The interior trim on my Bolt is Light Ash Gray, Ceramic White, and Perforated Leather. The dash board is Light Ash Gray and that reflects significant light. I have attached a photo showing the color scheme. Almost every car I looked at in Berkeley today uses a much dark, less shiny surface for the dashboard, for obvious reasons.
What was Chevy thinking? This is beyond disappointing. If you are ordering one, there must be a better color scheme. I would not have bought this if I had been aware of this issue.

Note in the photo, the only thing clear in the windshield is the reflection of the dash!

Attachments

·
Registered
741 Posts
I think there might be some film we can use. These days theres a lot of different applications and so on. I even seen people go for really light tint on their windshields

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I think there might be some film we can use. These days there a lot of different applications and so on. I even seen people go for really light tint on their windshields
The only trouble with tinting the windshield is that it reduces the light you want to see on the road straight ahead. It is really a signal noise problem with the reflection being the noise and the object being viewed being the signal.

There are vinyl wraps that could be put on the dash board, but it takes a expert to do a good job and I think in time the sun would kill the wrap and it would peal off, leaving a mess. There are third party dash pad made for most cars and when there are enough Bolts, I expect pads for the Bolt will become available. If every Bolt had this problem, Chevrolet would have to respond, but it is probably less than 1% of those sold and they have only delivered about 10 k.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
I think there might be some film we can use. These days theres a lot of different applications and so on. I even seen people go for really light tint on their windshields
In most states, tinting the windshield is illegal.

The appropriate fix is to darken the dash. Or wear polarized sunglasses, which could wash out the displays.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
In most states, tinting the windshield is illegal.

The appropriate fix is to darken the dash. Or wear polarized sunglasses, which could wash out the displays.
The displays are not polarized, but polarized sunglasses cut the light a factor of two and it makes the displays noticeably darker. Tried that. I agree, darkening the dash is the way to go, this works buy is not very aesthetic. See photo and note that there is now no reflection except at the bottom on the windshield where the dash is not covered.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
The displays are not polarized, but polarized sunglasses cut the light a factor of two and it makes the displays noticeably darker. Tried that. I agree, darkening the dash is the way to go, this works buy is not very aesthetic. See photo and note that there is now no reflection except at the bottom on the windshield where the dash is not covered.
If wearing polarized sunglasses is washing out/darkening the displays, then it means the displays are polarized, as are most LCD displays. Tilt your head one way or the other and you will see the displays darken or lighten. Or hold you sunglasses against the displays and watch things change as you rotate your sunglasses.

Addendum: in my 2005 Prius and 2012 PiP, the displays would be almost completely wiped out if I tilted my head the wrong way. Our 2016 Highlander doesn't seem to suffer nearly as much. There's some color shifting, but no pronounced darkening. I don't wear polarized sunglasses anymore, so I haven't had a chance to test things in the Bolt. Hopefully the displays they used are less prone to darkening from polarized sunglasses. If they have, I might go back to wearing polarized sunglasses again, instead of using transition lenses that work in a car.

·
Registered
2017 (12/2016 build) Bolt premier
251 Posts
I wear polarized sunglasses. I have no problems seeing the displays. I don't have the glare problem of the original poster unless I drive from bright sunlight into darker shade (i.e. pulling into my garage on a sunny day -- most days around here) without my sunglasses on. I always wear my sunglasses when the sun is shining. They cut down on the glare from windshields and mirrors of other cars.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just tint the insdie of the windshield. Been doing this on all of my cars for years. No glare, less radiant heat accumulation, etc...... i have yet to see a downside. This is very common hear in southern california.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Just tint the insdie of the windshield. Been doing this on all of my cars for years. No glare, less radiant heat accumulation, etc...... i have yet to see a downside. This is very common hear in southern california.
This doesn't help because it reduces the light coming from the view in front at the same ratio that it reduces the unwanted light reflecting off the light dash board. It will help if you have a dark dash board and want to reduce eyestrain from the bright external light. Same effect as wearing non polarizing sunglasses.

Most transition sunglasses respond to ultra violet light, which doesn't make it through the windshield. Maybe there are some that respond to other wavelengths of light.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
This doesn't help because it reduces the light coming from the view in front at the same ratio that it reduces the unwanted light reflecting off the light dash board. It will help if you have a dark dash board and want to reduce eyestrain from the bright external light. Same effect as wearing non polarizing sunglasses.

Most transition sunglasses respond to ultra violet light, which doesn't make it through the windshield. Maybe there are some that respond to other wavelengths of light.
Transitions Xtractive will darken behind a windshield. They are reactive to both visible and ultra-violet light. They don't get totally dark like they would if outside in full sun, but they do get dark enough inside the car for my use.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
I wear polarized sunglasses. I have no problems seeing the displays. I don't have the glare problem of the original poster unless I drive from bright sunlight into darker shade (i.e. pulling into my garage on a sunny day -- most days around here) without my sunglasses on. I always wear my sunglasses when the sun is shining. They cut down on the glare from windshields and mirrors of other cars.
This is good to hear! Perhaps I will order a dedicated pair of polarized sunglasses to use in the Bolt and my other car with displays...

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
This is good to hear! Perhaps I will order a dedicated pair of polarized sunglasses to use in the Bolt and my other car with displays...
devbolt: Just curious which trim package you have. Hopefully not the one with the light ash dashboard, which is relatively rare. I think almost all the other trims have a reasonably dark color on the dash.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
devbolt: Just curious which trim package you have. Hopefully not the one with the light ash dashboard, which is relatively rare. I think almost all the other trims have a reasonably dark color on the dash.
I went with the dark gray interior. Dark dash. Dark seats.

21 - 40 of 107 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.