Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
41 - 60 of 107 Posts

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Good choice, unlike my poor choice.
I've never liked light interiors. They show dirt way too easily.

Sorry that the dash is less than wonderful for you. Hopefully you, or GM, can come up with a more elegant solution to the problem.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a Cajun Red Premiere with the Light Ash Grey interior. While I prefer the lighter color inside, the light dash was very irritating to my eyes which have always been very sensitive to glare and bright sun. I temporarily had a black piece of fabric on my dash to see if the darker color would reduce the glare. It indeed did. I also added 3m film to the windshield which did not reduce the glare significantly.

Since I am not one to put dash covers on, I bit the bullet and had the local dealer order me replacement dash parts in Cool Grey (the darker color on the other trims). It took them 3 days but I now have a dark dash that blends in pretty good except for the 2-inch wide transition at the door (see pics). Otherwise it matches the steering wheel quite nicely.

We buy our cars and tend to drive them over 10 years so I didn't want to wait for something to come from Chevy, which I believe highly unlikely.

The parts and install used all of the $2500 CA Clean Air Rebate plus most of the PG&E rebate - but I am now happy with the dash and can chuck the black cloth cover I've had for three months.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,580 Posts
I have a Cajun Red Premiere with the Light Ash Grey interior. While I prefer the lighter color inside, the light dash was very irritating to my eyes which have always been very sensitive to glare and bright sun. I temporarily had a black piece of fabric on my dash to see if the darker color would reduce the glare. It indeed did. I also added 3m film to the windshield which did not reduce the glare significantly.

Since I am not one to put dash covers on, I bit the bullet and had the local dealer order me replacement dash parts in Cool Grey (the darker color on the other trims). It took them 3 days but I now have a dark dash that blends in pretty good except for the 2-inch wide transition at the door (see pics). Otherwise it matches the steering wheel quite nicely.

We buy our cars and tend to drive them over 10 years so I didn't want to wait for something to come from Chevy, which I believe highly unlikely.

The parts and install used all of the $2500 CA Clean Air Rebate plus most of the PG&E rebate - but I am now happy with the dash and can chuck the black cloth cover I've had for three months.
I was going to suggest this option. Now I don't have to and you have real world experience with the process as well as approximate pricing. Glad it worked out.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Browsing the internet for Bolt pictures, I think I figured out how something like this (reflections from the dash) got missed by Chevrolet during testing:

With the dash covered up like that for secrecy during testing, this problem would never come up.

·
Banned
350 Posts
Even with the dark interior, when you get full sunlight on the white decorative panel next to the drivers door it does wash out the view through the outside mirror. Clearly a case of "design" over function.

·
Super Moderator
2,580 Posts
Even with the dark interior, when you get full sunlight on the white decorative panel next to the drivers door it does wash out the view through the outside mirror. Clearly a case of "design" over function.
I'm glad they did. A purely functional car is a boring car.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have the light interior so I'm affected by this everyday.

For the most part, I fixed it by buying a new pair of sunglasses with polarized brown lenses. Gives me the rainbows on the infotainment display, but it's better than glare-zilla.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Browsing the internet for Bolt pictures, I think I figured out how something like this (reflections from the dash) got missed by Chevrolet during testing

With the dash covered up like that for secrecy during testing, this problem would never come up.
Hey, maybe the have an old one of those around, that I could use instead of my black art paper dash cover! Anyway, great point about how they might have missed this in testing.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·

Very cool solution, other than the really high cost. It looks great and as the founder of this thread, I am tempted. I would be even happier if Chevy would cover the cost. Ha Ha.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Very cool solution, other than the really high cost. It looks great and as the founder of this thread, I am tempted. I would be even happier if Chevy would cover the cost. Ha Ha.
It's just a matter of time before someone wraps one around a tree or gets some extensive (and expensive) cosmetic sheet metal work. Then you'll be able to get the new dash fairly cheap (might have to clean it, though! :eek:).

Joe

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
It's just a matter of time before someone wraps one around a tree or gets some extensive (and expensive) cosmetic sheet metal work. Then you'll be able to get the new dash fairly cheap (might have to clean it, though! :eek:).

Joe
Must be a pain to install it though. I suppose the windshield has to come out. I am guessing at lot of the $2500 was labor. How much can a piece of plastic cost? In my dreams, the dealer would share some of the cost and make it reasonable. My guess is that only about 1% of the Bolts have this trim package and they have only sold a total of 10,000 in the first three months. If Chevy could do the replacement for $2 k, then 1% of 10,000 cars is only a 100 cars times 2 K or $200,000. That would be a cheep recall. I believe it is a safety issue, since under certain lighting conditions, the driver can't see the road. But what are the chances?:nerd:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a Bolt Premier with the ceramic interior as well and the glare is very prominent, especially due to the contrast of the black vents and the gray dash...

I was watching some Edmunds reviews and they commented on this as well:

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
For those of you who do not know, the windshield has a reflective coating on the windshield for
the collision avoidance systems red alert lamp on the dash. IDK if they're all coated or not :nerd:

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
For those of you who do not know, the windshield has a reflective coating on the windshield for
the collision avoidance systems red alert lamp on the dash. IDK if they're all coated or not :nerd:
Yes, this review they did was using the same trim package that causes the trouble. Interesting though on the
possibility of a reflective coating. Not sure how to find out, but it could make the problem worse, if it is there.
I don't think there is a red alert lamp on the dash of the bolt. If so, it is covered by my black art paper that I use
to eliminated the reflective dash.:nerd:

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
...I don't think there is a red alert lamp on the dash of the bolt..
If you have a Premier with the Driver Confidence II package- built in the dash on the driver side is a small cutout which contains 5 or 6 countersunk bright red LED's (I'm not really sure of the number) that flash quickly and reflect on to the windshield if the Forward Collision System activates.

I've had mine activate 2x so far... you can't miss it.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Yes, this review they did was using the same trim package that causes the trouble. Interesting though on the
possibility of a reflective coating. Not sure how to find out, but it could make the problem worse, if it is there.
I don't think there is a red alert lamp on the dash of the bolt. If so, it is covered by my black art paper that I use
Yes, it has the collision warning LED (red light display) up on the dash if it is equipped.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
So the red LEDs for collision warning are recessed in the air vent on the dash board close
to the windshield. That doesn't tell us if there is a reflective coating on the windshied, however.

41 - 60 of 107 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.