Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.
81 - 100 of 107 Posts
Discussion starter · #81 ·
What about Matte Black Plasti Dip? It is easy to apply (comes in a rattle Can) and easy to remove if needed (peel out as a sheet).
I am not familiar with that, might work, but it would certainly require masking of the rest of the car, not to make a total mess. Also would it hold up under the sun exposure over time? The dash mat is basically fully reversible if a better solution comes along.

Discussion starter · #85 · (Edited)
That is amazing. I started the thread within weeks of getting my Bolt and even addressed a note to some VP at Chevy, with no results. This website article even used my photo. Thanks for pointing this out. In the meantime I have bought a dash cover from Dash Care and it solves the problem even if it doesn't look as cool as the original dash. Photo below, I hope.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #86 ·
The comments left on the website listed above indicate the problem is not strictly limited to the Chevy Bolt, but several people point out that the long sloping windshield makes the problem worse. For me it was a safety issue, because traveling through a forested area with shade and bright areas it was truly impossible to see in front of the car at times. Style over function is just dumb, at least in this case.

Style over function is just dumb, at least in this case.
I have a really hard time assigning all the blame to GM on this one, since it should be pretty d@mn obvious that a light-coloured dash is going to reflect off the windshield. I've always avoided cars with light coloured dashboards for that exact reason. Is it really GM's fault if people choose a light colour because they prefer the way it looks? If you want that colour in your car, then you need to be prepared to wear polarized glasses to eliminate the reflections, IMHO.

It is bizarre to me that a company that's been making cars for a hundred years could do something this goofy. I test drove a Volt last year with the two-tone dash, and even the brown trim in that car reflected off the windshield at certain sun angles. It's like the front seat issue. It's as though they looked at all the pieces before they were put together and said, "Woohoo! We're done!" and then put the car together and shipped it without anyone taking the completed car for a drive around the block.

It's not just happening on the Bolt... My two previous cars- 2014 Volt and 2012 Plug-In-Prius- also had fairly bad dashboard reflection problems.
They both had long, low sloping windshields and long dashboards.

I was fortunate enough to have read about the Bolt dashboard problems before purchasing my Bolt in April, so I stayed away from the Light Ash Gray/Ceramic White option (even though I'd rather have that over the Dark Galvanized/Sky Cool Gray I went with).

Older non-eco designed vehicles like our 2003 Honda CRV have almost vertical windshields vs. low/sloping and very short dashboards... no problems with reflections on the old CRV.

I have a really hard time assigning all the blame to GM on this one...
I don't. I ordered the white/gray seats because they would hold a little less heat in my warm, sunny climate. Nobody told me the dash would be light colored, and I had no desire for a light colored dash. I had to study the chevy website pretty carefully to detect the lighter dash color, and changed my order when I did see the lighter dash. At the time, no cars were available in dealer stock for test drives, or even to look at, particularly in the white/gray color scheme.

If you actually see the car, and get enough of a test drive on a sunny day to see the problem and still buy the white/grey interior, than the customer could be blamed. But GM really shouldn't make the light gray dash at all - no customer wants it, and it's probably a little dangerous.

Not a Bolt owner as of yet. However, I have taken two out on a test drive. The first one in June had a dark dash. Did not even notice any glare. The second test drive in July had a light color dash. Immediately, I noticed the glare on the windshield. I found it disturbing. Did not feel safe. I brought it to the attention of the salesperson. I decided when I am ready to make that purchase I am going with the dark colored dash.

Really enjoy reading and getting information on this forum.

Discussion starter · #94 ·
is there any possibility of installing an anti-reflective film on the inside of the windshield? like window tint, but only for the purpose of reducing reflections. anyone know of such a product?
I think there is technology to do this, but no product. For future buyers in the know, it is easy just not to order the white seats option. Of course relatively few are likely to read this thread in this forum before buying. The salesman that sold me mine, said that he would warn future customers. I made he fully aware of the problem. It wouldn't seem that hard for Chevy to get rid of light ash dash board piece, if they were aware and wanted to.:(

I hesitate to suggest this, and I haven't tried it on a Bolt, but there is some stuff that is sold in shoe repair shops. It's called Meltonian Shoe Color Spray - https://www.shoetreemarketplace.com/Meltonian-Nu-Life-Color-Spray-p/1003.htm
It is intended to permanently paint vinyl and other plastics - comes in a wide spectrum of colors. It is used to make prom shoes match a dress, and resembles an older product called Shoe Make-Up.
I have used it to re-color some sun-bleached plastic in the dash of older cars. It covers well, and is quite tough when dried. I do not know how UV-resistant the stuff is, so this might be a last resort to try before actually replacing the dash with the darker version.
One would mask the interior and windows and sensors very carefully, then rattle-can spray the dash with a couple of cans and let dry for a few hours. I'd try some ArmorAll after drying for a day or two, to help protect it from UV.

Not a Bolt owner as of yet. However, I have taken two out on a test drive. The first one in June had a dark dash. Did not even notice any glare. The second test drive in July had a light color dash. Immediately, I noticed the glare on the windshield. I found it disturbing. Did not feel safe. I brought it to the attention of the salesperson. I decided when I am ready to make that purchase I am going with the dark colored dash.

Really enjoy reading and getting information on this forum.
I already have a feeling that GM will be working this issue out in the shadows because odds are they might be seeing this sort of feedback from a lot of people. Not something you want on such a new product. Unless sending these back for refitting is their solution to move these bolts off to happy customers.

81 - 100 of 107 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.