Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got around to installing the Ambarella Mini 0801 dash cam. The Bolt Premier has a 12V ignition switched source at the digital rear view mirror.

Removal of the cover:
Untitled by tk_1971, on Flickr

Details of the cover:

Here's the connector for the digital rear view mirror that I'll be tapping into for 12V IGN and ground:

Purple is 12V IGN and black is ground:

A little slicing with a new razor blade:

All soldered up:

12V to Left Angle USB
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U2DGI10/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A little double sided tape for the 12v USB adapter:

1st cover back on:

2nd cover back on:

Pictures of the finished project:

The only thing remaining is installing some kind of circular polarizing filter. The slope of the windshield results in a lot of glare.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to detail everything. I'll be tackling this project too, and you just made the whole process pretty simple.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Nice work, but shouldn't you use a full time power so the camera works when the car is parked?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice work, but shouldn't you use a full time power so the camera works when the car is parked?
I figure it'll put too many miles on the camera. I don't want it to fail when I need it. I had this same camera in my previous car. Worked well for many years.

·
Registered
34 Posts
OK, that makes sense. I think when I install one I will get q constant power. Hope I don't have to bring one up there

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, that makes sense. I think when I install one I will get q constant power. Hope I don't have to bring one up there
You might have to. I'm guessing that last wire (green) is the Reverse signal, so you may have to pull the Onstar / map light console to see if there is a constant 12v.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I like the setup a lot. I assume though by messing with the wires if something did go wrong GM could void the warranty right? At least for those components in that area, not for the entire car of course.

Am I wrong in that assumption?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I like the setup a lot. I assume though by messing with the wires if something did go wrong GM could void the warranty right? At least for those components in that area, not for the entire car of course.

Am I wrong in that assumption?
Well, for the wiring I tapped into for sure if there were ever a short or if all of a sudden the 12v no loner supplies 12v. They may have to argue about the downstream mirror that the wiring connects to.

There are risks in modifying a car.

If I break it I expect to pay for it.

This is not a cheap car, so I'll just have to be careful not to screw things up.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Well, for the wiring I tapped into for sure if there were ever a short or if all of a sudden the 12v no loner supplies 12v. They may have to argue about the downstream mirror that the wiring connects to.

There are risks in modifying a car.

If I break it I expect to pay for it.

This is not a cheap car, so I'll just have to be careful not to screw things up.
That is what I figured. I just wanted to make sure, i've never really messed with anything in my cars, well far as wiring things in.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was thinking about where to get a constant 12v. The map light should be constant. Just pull a wire to the rear view shroud. They're both right there.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Finally got around to installing the Ambarella Mini 0801 dash cam. The Bolt Premier has a 12V ignition switched source at the digital rear view mirror.(...)
Awesome, just what I needed to install my 12v Street Guardian SGZC12SS.
Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I installed a Dash Cam!

Obviously with the very large black box behind the rear view mirror it is not easy fit a Dash Cam that do not intrude on the driver field of vision. I had a 2016 Street Guardian SGZC12SS from my previous car but there was no way to install it without having it having it being in the middle of windshield impeding front view and potentially be illegal in California where phone mounts and other items cannot be in the front line of sight.

After some research I found 2 Dash Cams that could works much better: the BlackView DR450 and the Ddpai mini 2, albeit the Ddpai seem to be slightly smaller and have better specs, it need a 5v input and that requires some additional wiring and it seems to suffer from overheating and that is not good in SoCal, so I went for the BlackView.

Following tk1971’s directions it was a breeze to open the black box and find a Switched 12v. I cut the Dash Cam 12v power cable, solder some needles to each end, cleaned the whole thing with heat shrink tubing, and inserted them in the back of the connector, this way they can be removed without leaving any traces, I routed the cable through one of the vents at the bottom of the black box, just where my Dash Cam was going to be positioned. The mounting bracket for the BlackView DR450 is very slim and can tuck underneath the black box to minimize intrusion. I am very happy with the result it almost look OEM and do not call to much attention on it from the inside or outside.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Question,

I read someone installed a dash cam in their chevy volt this same way, and they had some issues.

"After months of trying to figure out why I was having problems with my TPMS System and my keyless key (Remote Not Detected), I discovered it was due to interference with the camera and the receiver which is in that black box behind the mirror."

Do you have any of those said issues?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Question,

I read someone installed a dash cam in their chevy volt this same way, and they had some issues.

"After months of trying to figure out why I was having problems with my TPMS System and my keyless key (Remote Not Detected), I discovered it was due to interference with the camera and the receiver which is in that black box behind the mirror."

Do you have any of those said issues?
Thanks for the heads-up.
Keyless entry is working fine and no issue with TPMS so far.
There is indeed an antenna there (Metal part on the lower right of the second picture), I routed and secured the power cable around it, hopefully it will not cause interference but I will keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Obviously with the very large black box behind the rear view mirror it is not easy fit a Dash Cam that do not intrude on the driver field of vision.
Did you consider mounting it to the black box and not the windshield? That could keep it even more out of the driver's field of view and make it more discrete.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Did you consider mounting it to the black box and not the windshield? That could keep it even more out of the driver's field of view and make it more discrete.
I though about it, but I think it is not stable enough (it is just held by little clips and it is VERY easy to remove by hand) and adding weight to it will induce some extra vibrations that may be detrimental to the picture quality of the dashcam. Also the dashcam I choose really tuck under the black box, so much there is just 2mm gap between the black box and the webcam.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm guessing it would jut downwards a bit too much if mounted on the black box too. Looks good as is IMO.
I have one same as post #9 the A119s. I have it just below the plastic cover, with a little space above it to let it slide to come off.

I have the wire run into the plastic behind the rearview mirror and it looks fine and does not block my view. Currently I have the wire running around the edge of the windshield and down the pillar, and under the glove box until I get the time to tap the power from the mirror as posted here.

The only place the wire is really visible right now is between the camera and it going in the cover, and at the passenger side pillar where two pieces of plastic meet.

1 - 20 of 146 Posts